JMF HQS 7001 Amplifier Review (Stereophile)

JMF stereo 6002 amp with their preamp to my ears were much preferred to the CH M1 units on the Estelon ceramic driver speakers.albeit at different times. . In fact I d say the JMF to ears are one of the most musically neutral and organic amps currently being produced. However I think it might be speaker brand dependent, as CH matches really well with the Steinheim & Rockport speakers. I liked the sonics of the CH DAC C1-1.2 quite a bit though.

Reactions: hogen
In fact I d say the JMF to ears are one of the most musically neutral and organic amps currently being produced.
Possibly, if it's all about solid state. But even then, Vitus may be more organic.

But otherwise (outside of pure SS concepts) at least Aries Cerat is much more organic.

Reactions: Sunra
Well, apples to apple we need to compare . Most AC are hybrid or class A tube units, so your point is moot. Have not heard the Vitus amp that ever wowed me , like the JMF I have to say. Usually great hi fi sound by Vitus , but that is it, to my ears that is. Long way for Vitus to JMF, or to the Symphonic Line, or to FM Acoustics IMHO. Vitus (the units I ve heard) are on the level of the Burmester, other very good hi-fi amplifiers.

While I appreciate the opportunity to hear different CH amplification and electronics including 10 series, I found that the overall sound signature didn't quite match my personal preferences.

In contrast, the JMF setup I experienced at the Hifidelux show a week ago was particularly captivating. I spent a considerable amount of time in the room, exceeding 20 minutes, and appreciated the opportunity to request various tracks, which allowed me to gain a comprehensive understanding of its capabilities.

Does anyone actually own JMF pre, phono and monos? Would love to hear a real pov from an owner of the entire system?

Reactions: Dave777tx
Does anyone actually own JMF pre, phono and monos? Would love to hear a real pov from an owner of the entire system?
I own the Pre amp 1.5 and 6002 amp

As every system, synergy is very important and took me some time to made it sound better, in my experience Pre amp and amp is the best match since I started with Gryphon pre amp and the match did not bring the best of the amp.

I think it is one of the best combo in the market Pros: Musicality, liquidity, 3D, clarity and transparent, no brightness Cons, depending on the speaker from my point of view they need more power, some speakers you can not get the bass you wish. I am upgrading to monos soon and maybe 9001 to get as much power as possible.

They are definitely some of the best amps in the market as good as Gryphon, CH or Solution even though every amp has pros and Cons and all are great.

When you spend this amount of money you can and should expect more.
As long as it looks reasonably attractive and does not compromise the overall sound quality, why does it matter? Quality of the individual parts inside the exterior casing and the resultant sound is the prime objective correct? Maybe the manufacturer decided to spend less money on the "eye candy" portion of the amp and used those funds for superior quality parts resulting in a better performing amp. Something to consider.

FWIW, I find the vast majority of audio gear aestheics (except some speakers) to be inherently industrial and unimpressive. Most (of various sizes) are simply variants of basic boxes. Best.

Last edited:
As long as it looks reasonably attractive and does not compromise the overall sound quality, why does it matter? Quality of the individual parts inside the exterior casing and the resultant sound is the prime objective correct? Maybe the manufacturer decided to spend less money on the "eye candy" portion of the amp and used those funds for superior quality parts resulting in a better performing amp. Something to consider.

FWIW, I find the vast majority of audio gear aestheics (except some speakers) to be inherently industrial and unimpressive. Most (of various sizes) are simply variants of basic boxes. Best.

Most people who invest in luxury items value aesthetics as much as functionality.

During my visit to Munich, I had the opportunity to listen to a complete JMF audio system (excluding the turntable, which was from another company). I was thoroughly impressed by the sound quality in that room. However, for me and many others who invest in audio equipment, pleasing aesthetics are crucial, especially when the market offers numerous excellent products at this price point.

OK. Kinda like a Rolex. For me sonics, at any price point, always trumped looks. Interesting that some folks (not sure about "many others" given the questionable aesthetics of some luxury priced gear) may base an audio purchase on eye candy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave777tx and hogen
Interesting that some folks (not sure about "many others" given the questionable aesthetics of some luxury priced gear) may base an audio purchase on eye candy.
Yes, although I wouldn't just call it interesting, but disturbing. But I understand @exupgh12 to be referring to the same tonal qualities and that, if this is the case, the visual appearance is the deciding factor.

There were these super high end Japanese amps used in recording studios in 80/90's called Rey Audio that looks exactly like this JMF stuff. Probably was JMF rebranded?

@Verdier @thedudeabides

Let's say you have two or more audio equipment items with the same sound and music qualities. Would you prefer to buy the one built in the back of a garage, or the one with better aesthetics and finishes that justify its price?

At JMF's price point and sound quality, there are numerous options available. For the asking price, I think better aesthetics or a nicer box design is not to much to ask for.

There were these super high end Japanese amps used in recording studios in 80/90's called Rey Audio that looks exactly like this JMF stuff. Probably was JMF rebranded?

"This Kinoshita Monitor's unique sound quality made him decide to develop the amplifier exclusive for his speaker. Shozo cooperated with JMF in France developed the power amplifier and gave them Kinoshita-JMF brand in 1990."

At JMF's price point and sound quality, there are numerous options available
What are you talking about? Have you heard JMF in your system at home? I have. And it sounded very o.k. for a solid state. I've also had CH Precision here and it sounded boring as hell.

What are you talking about? Have you heard JMF in your system at home? I have. And it sounded very o.k. for a solid state. I've also had CH Precision here and it sounded boring as hell.
I had the pleasure of listening to both, and while we agree on the sound quality—JMF sounds good, while CH doesn't move me. That said, at the price point of JMF and CH, there are other alternatives that both sound and look good.

What is your definition of "very ok" may I ask? Better than "acceptable to good", but not exceptionally good sounding, or? Also, could you list your preferred solid state & tube amps, so we can get some frame of reference? Thanks

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu