John DeVore on the Grey Market and OCD Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
What will REALLY be ironic for you "another Johnson" (we all know you're telling us your favorite meal), is how much I grow in popularity. LOL. Poor sad old man.... If you're so clever, why not come on to my show as a guest tonight and "put me on the spot" ... lets see what youve got ... Heres my personal invite.. Stand up to me real time or hide behind your keyboard, and moniker

This is clearly a cry for help.

Reactions: Audire

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
What will REALLY be ironic for you "another Johnson" (we all know what youre telling us), is how much I grow in popularity. LOL. Poor sad old man.... If you're so clever, why not come on to my show as a guest tonight and "put me on the spot" ... lets see what youve got ... Heres my personal invite.. Stand up to me real time or hide behind your keyboard, and moniker. What are you made of ?

Popularity achieved through "populism"/lies/dishonesty is hardly a measure of success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Verastarr

You make it sound you re the " Robin Hood " of the audio industry.
You stand up for the masses :), " taking on the system."

Robin Hood. :eek: By his own admission, he’s definitely a hood.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and RnRmf

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Seems I was right when I posted this in Post 6 " This likely is going to turn into a s_ _ t show"

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Condemned to who ?? LOL..This was a single isolated incident 6 years ago when I had no speakers to offer clients. So I stuck my neck out to help a client. If this client was you , you would greatly appreciate my gesture. Now I carry some of the top brands on the globe.. So I can tell a client ive got something other than mediocre DeVore to sell them. Ive had speaker manufacturers offer me below wholesale price so i could sell their non sellers at wholesale online and make money. I can name a well known dealer who has made his reputation on doing that. We all fight to get to our point of success, and Im here..nobody got hurt. nobody lost money. So why are you bitching ? Shall we go into all the things other dealers or magazines have done to become successful ?? Ive got many stories. some dealers used to drink alcohol and do bad things. Are you going to dredge up an old story from many years ago and use it now to say they cant conduct themselves well ?? Seems like it... Its SUPER EASY .. dont buy from me if you dont like what I did 6 years ago to help a client..
I’m a fan of your channel Mikey, but all you have to do is admit you were wrong back then to sell a piece obtained on accommodation without informing the manufacturer and then it allows the public to forgive you and the entire thing is over. Its like athletes and steroid use - once you admit you did them, there is no story anymore.

Candidly, I’m not sure why a client would buy from you at full price when a local NYC dealer could do the same and include setup and install. But it’s been a long time so just let things go. There are a lot of non sequiturs in this thread but that’s the basic gist. Best of luck.

Reactions: adyc and facten

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
just speculating, that the relative decorum of WBF was a less contenscous place to respond for him. not that this forum is not just as interested in the truth and accountability, but that our culture is less chaotic, less a free for all

Still feeling that way as the back and forth has unfolded?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Powell is condemned by his own words. I would not do business with a person who is comfortable misrepresenting his intentions in the way he describes.

I am still wondering why the client, Alan, paid full retail for the speaker from a non authorized dealer who does not represent the brand. What’s really funny Is that OCD claims he helped the client.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Are we really so naive that we don't expect some people to game the system if we make it easy for them to do so? If JD doesn't like someone taking advantage of his largesse, then don't offer accommodation pricing. If you do offer it and someone takes advantage, stop whining about it in public, you only make yourself look bad.
How does his rant make him look bad? At least it is not for me. And seeing the comments here and in YT, it also seems not the case.

I did not hear he complained accommodation pricing in his video. He complained that OCD said it was for his personal use and he agreed to sell him at accommodation pricing based on personal use. You seem missing the point of his rant.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks guys for seeing a potential motivation here. The result is that its picked an old scab, so we may as well look at the wound. Let us consider the following;

Example 1.
An identified audio reseller asks a MFG for a single audio SKU at dealer cost "to use in house", in order to actually fulfill a clients desire. This piece is then sold at full price to that client instead of being used in house by the reseller. (the big lie) For the MFG, the result is the end user is a different entity. After one years time, nothing matters anymore.

Example 2.
An identified audio magazine employee is offered a single audio SKU at dealer cost, or more commonly on "permanent loan" to use in house to fulfill their own personal desire. This piece is then used to promote that manufacturers product in the magazine in many different ways. Furthermore that Media employee may be friends with the local dealer that sells the said brand. Potentially that magazine employee receives a kickback on every client they bring to the store to listen to the illustrious brand. The MFG in this example also advertises in the aforementioned magazine. Is there a possibility that the magazine may have biased stories and promotional mentions on chosen brands based on what funnels money into this closed circuit ? (ever seen how they pitch cables in the middle of a component or speaker review ?) Is there even a possibility we are told the products with the highest profit margins are the "best sounding" ?...... Lets walk the wild side of conspiracy and ask is there a possibility we are being TRAINED that the most expensive gear is the best sounding ? Follow the money, right ??

To me anyways, the real story here isn't the MFG getting duped on what end user gets their speaker before 1 years time, the bigger story is the end user getting duped on which MFGs extract their money. There seems to be a certain handful of "media sweethearts" doesn't there ?
Why do I care, you ask ? Because I clean up the mess for many GOOD people that simply LOVE Music and have the means to spend deep, and they are unhappy after spending hundreds of thousands, now they have had the piss taken out of them. In regards to their BELIEF in quality audio gear. So they hardly listen to what they just spent years on the merry go round with. ie: their life becomes scant on music enjoyment. Too many bad memories of buying and selling, repairs, etc. This makes me angry and upset. I want my clients and friends to enjoy music just like I do. Im convinced It makes life better all around.

This whole regurgitation of an old story (thats over now) illustrates, yet again, how the audio media is used to manipulate the end users whether its your perception of a seller or your perception of what gear is best. This Starts with JD's defamatory video.
What I just laid out above is a good part of the platform I stand on. Its WHY this over fared, long haired, leaping gnome upsets so many in the industry. I break the old common narrative, and pull the curtain back.

So by all means pick your villain. The one with intentions to serve you, or the ones with intention to serve the establishment..

Hope you all enjoy the weekend... Get OUTSIDE if its not too hot. ;-)
Jeez, and I thought William Faulkner was hard to read?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
OCD’s laugh fest begins at 9PM. Tune in to hear all the spin! :eek:

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
OCD’s laugh fest begins at 9PM. Tune in to hear all the spin! :eek:
LOL, a GENIUS in the crowd... youre starting to get it. Im proud of you..

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
LOL, a GENIUS in the crowd... youre starting to get it. Im proud of you..

No genius, but some integrity! I got ethics a long time ago! When will you get some?

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
How does his rant make him look bad? At least it is not for me. And seeing the comments here and in YT, it also seems not the case.

I did not hear he complained accommodation pricing in his video. He complained that OCD said it was for his personal use and he agreed to sell him at accommodation pricing based on personal use. You seem missing the point of his rant.
His rant makes him look bad because its over and closed 6 years ago.. his ego is still bruised while I walk all over his YouTube ratings.. LOL, the fact that all you guys are feeding off this gives me great hope for my future.. Like hens in the henhouse getting all upset. what a joke... LOL. too funny...

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
No genius, but some integrity! I got ethics a long time ago! When will you get some?
lets ask my last 100 customers, shall we ? If youre so brave and ethical, come as a guest on my channel and show me how dumb and stupid I am.. seriously.. Im asking you to speak intelligently and make your case against me in a civil forum or forever hold your peace. Why dont you make a stand for all the hens here in the house, some will need a rep to stand for them as they are simple keyboard monkeys. Im ready to answer you to your face..

heres the link

Stop being a mudslinger on a small forum and come talk to me... THIS IS MY CRY FOR HELP.... ROFL....Im asking any one of you guys that act so smart and full of integrity here on a forum to STAND for yourself and come make me look foolish in a public forum, otherwise you are just JD shill bags... .. do I need to dare you or something since were all seemingly in High School ? Then I dare you.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Wow... LOL, this is the illustrious Whats Best Forum ?? This is the best youve got ? No wonder im succeeding against the old guard..
:rolleyes:

You’re not succeeding, rather you have been a complete failure! When will you understand the truth?

Spin Alert! It’s coming! Waiting on OCD to write, or speak, or use more looser lies!

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I am still wondering why the client, Alan, paid full retail for the speaker from a non authorized dealer who does not represent the brand. What’s really funny Is that OCD claims he helped the client.
LOL, Really ?? a sailing man ?? So worldly are you ?? theres no chance there were conditions like trades this guy needed to find a home for ?? You guys are so easy to lead... I helped him get what he wanted ... maybe you'll come talk with me Peter... Please show my followers how i did not help my client ... Heres a private invite to be a guest on my show... have a camera and mic.. You can turn the camera off if you cant stand behind your self..

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
:rolleyes:

You’re not succeeding, rather you have been a complete failure! When will you understand the truth?

Spin Alert! It’s coming! Waiting on OCD to write, or speak, or use more looser lies!
LOL< you have completely exposed yourself as a shill... Because you say Im a failure means nothing... ROFL... wow... not men here....

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
lets ask my last 100 customers, shall we ? If youre so brave and ethical, come as a guest on my channel and show me how dumb and stupid I am.. seriously.. Im asking you to speak intelligently and make your case against me in a civil forum or forever hold your peace. Why dont you make a stand for all the hens here in the house, some will need a rep to stand for them as they are simple keyboard monkeys. Im ready to answer you to your face..

heres the link

Stop being a mudslinger on a small forum and come talk to me...

Mikey, the question at hand doesn’t have anything to do with your selected last 100 coached customers. It rather questions the ethics on one deal. You admitted to lying to a manufacturer to make a speaker sale. That’s simply wrong!

You have already confessed to being a liar. Thus, I can’t purchase from you or depend on your reviews of audio products …

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing