Joy

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Having loved Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle needless to say I am a huge fan of David O. Russell directorial skills as well as his usual ensemble cast (especially Jennifer Lawrence). The trailer to Joy has been seen for the past several months and for me it seemed like a no brainer. We waited in a huge line late yesterday evening and watched it in a full house. Same cast of characters however the magic and charm was gone. Folks this was just an ordinary movie with a best a 3/5 star rating. The film was just meh. As my wife and daughter said, it is one of those movies that you only see once. Gone was the charm between Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper or between Jennifer Lawrence and Robert DeNiro.

The fim is once again another biopic loosely based on the story of Joy Annie Mumolo's original script featuring the story of the Miracle Mop was based upon a real person: Joy Mangano, an Italian-American inventor and entrepreneur known for inventions such as the self-wringing Miracle Mop and Huggable Hangers. She is the President of Ingenious Designs, and appears regularly on US television shopping channel HSN. A graduate of Pace University, Mangano holds more than 100 patents for her inventions. When David O. Russell came onto the project, he added much more supporting characters and interwove Mangano's original biography with stories of other women daring to change their lives so much that only the basic plot outline still resembles Mangano's story (from working mother to business woman). Therefore, despite earlier reports about the film, this is not a biographical film about Mangano. Furthermore, Russell even admitted he was in no hurry to meet Mangano in real-life during the filming process, because he wanted to make the movie his own way, only speaking to her on the phone. Also, Joy's last name in the film is never given, the Miracle Mop remains unnamed in the film and movie Joy is not from Mangano's native Smithtown, on the North Shore of Long Island, New York.

A story of a family across four generations, centered on the girl who becomes the woman who founds a business dynasty and becomes a matriarch in her own right. Facing betrayal, treachery, the loss of innocence and the scars of love, Joy becomes a true boss of family and enterprise in a world of unforgiving commerce. Allies become adversaries and adversaries become allies, both inside and outside the family, as Joy's inner life and fierce imagination carry her through the storm she faces.

Simply put, this is one for rental (if that) but Jennifer Lawrence plays a great part but that's about all. There is nothing endearing about this movie. Even Isabella Rossellini looks like an old lady now

Just over 2 hours long but seemed twice that

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We saw Joy the other day. Lawrence was on the screen for virtually the entire movie and in general she did a good job and I am not here biggest fan. I feel she was required to overact in both Playbook and Hustle. As in both of those movies there are not a lot of likable characters.

Overall I will give it a B-

Steve Williams

We saw Joy the other day. Lawrence was on the screen for virtually the entire movie and in general she did a good job and I am not here biggest fan. I feel she was required to overact in both Playbook and Hustle. As in both of those movies there are not a lot of likable characters.

Just a C+for me. I thought her acting was only so so and yes she was in every scene

Steve Williams

Gosh, I think you are all being generous, I lasted 40 minutes and left. Based on what I saw I would give it a C. Self indulgent twaddle. The most generous thing I can say about it is it is perhaps a step up from a Hallmark made for television movie. Perhaps.

I can't argue except I am a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan and had she not been in every scene I would have given it a C. In fact I had it at a D until Bradley Cooper appeared midway through the film and there is always magic between the two of them (similar to Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Like you Steve I really enjoyed the two previous movies by this loose ensemble. But also like you almost all reviewers feel the magic is missing from this one. Too bad :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Joy of Christmas. ...The trailer looks good, and Jennifer looks good too with her new haircut. /// I'll wait for the discount bin on amazon...five bucks.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

would agree on the overacting in Hustle - such as that pointless scene where she is singing Live and Let Die

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I loved Silver Linings Playbook and had high hopes for this one. Sorry to hear it falls short.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing