Just Venting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@Gary: sorry to hear about your plight, but what's really broken here is the law - and I am not siding with it, I am siding with you; yes, apparently, you the driver can be held accountable for the rental's expired sticker. There are many stories on that on the net, here's a typical one: http://articles.mcall.com/2010-08-1...blem20100818_1_sticker-registration-rent-cars

The police chief claims: So, if Renaut had continued driving the car and been stopped by police, would he have been culpable? Maybe, said Allentown police Capt. Daryl Hendricks. He said the rental company bears the most responsibility because it owns the vehicle. But the driver isn't completely exonerated. The officer has the discretion to cite not only the company, but the driver.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Man: that really really sucks.

It sounds like the South - and no offense, it is not just targeted to blacks. I have been nailed on more than one occasion. I got pulled over, (rural south) the charges changed from speeding, then to drunk and disorderly (I was not in any way drunk) then to just disorderly then to some other offense. Thrown in jail for 4 hours, let go, told if I brought cash and met with the arresting officer on a Sunday afternoon , all charges would be dropped from my record.

I ended up paying for towing and impounding my car, car storage the "Sunday fine".

The attorney I talked to in Atlanta after I got home and before I paid the fine said, if I fought and did not pay it, I would lose my license (guilty or not), it would go on my record, the fine would be increased significantly and I would not be able to purchase car insurance for a very long time. Huge scam. And this does not occur in just rural Georgia either.

Consider yourself notified: when driving in or between small towns in the southeast, follow the speed limit. Go 40 in a 35 and you take the chance of getting a very expensive ticket.

There is one section in southern Alabama (not on major roads) on the way to the Gulf where the speed limit keeps dropping 5 mph very frequently and it is a major speed trap.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
thanks for all your comments, I feel a little better now :cool:

Here is what's written in the calling card given to me by the taxi driver

Quickway
Pilot Service. Traffic Control. Route Surveys. Traffic Control Plans. Traffic Management Plans. Shuttle Service

does this look like a company that has ties with the RCMP :)

If taxi owner is getting 5 similar trips a week, and assuming some people who gets charged with excessive speeding gets picked up by family or friends from there, I won't be surprised to find out that at least one gets excessive speeding ticket in that small town a day.. seems rather high because I don't think people would normally and knowingly drive 40 km/h over posted limit if appropriate warning is posted.. if Excessive Driving consist anywhere near 10% of the total tickets handed out - it smells like a setup and they make sure somebody gets nabbed will require taxi, towing and impounding. Talking about letting the small fish get by and only catching the big one.

Yep, it's a speed trap. Fuel for the local economy. But it's not corruption if you were doing the speed. The impound, however, seems way over the top. Never heard of that one before. Must be a Canadian thing.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think you're too harsh on the cops here. "...... The partner said to write me up, but not to worry because I should just give the ticket to the rental company......". They probably genuinely thought this would not impact you, they have no one else they can write the ticket to, and waiving the ticket was not in the cards (you were a hot bimbo after all).

To me the, the negligence prize here goes to the rental company (renting a car with expired tag, and failing to pay the fine), and the *******/bitch prize goes to the ex-wife (failure to forward your mail).

Even if the rental company paid the ticket, it would still have been under my name. They can certainly write a ticket out to a corporation for a rental car because it it registered to them. Believe me, the cops just wanted to meet their quota and collect the money.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
thanks for all your comments, I feel a little better now :cool:

Here is what's written in the calling card given to me by the taxi driver

Quickway
Pilot Service. Traffic Control. Route Surveys. Traffic Control Plans. Traffic Management Plans. Shuttle Service

does this look like a company that has ties with the RCMP :)

If taxi owner is getting 5 similar trips a week, and assuming some people who gets charged with excessive speeding gets picked up by family or friends from there, I won't be surprised to find out that at least one gets excessive speeding ticket in that small town a day.. seems rather high because I don't think people would normally and knowingly drive 40 km/h over posted limit if appropriate warning is posted.. if Excessive Driving consist anywhere near 10% of the total tickets handed out - it smells like a setup and they make sure somebody gets nabbed will require taxi, towing and impounding. Talking about letting the small fish get by and only catching the big one.

That as so little to do with law and order and is all about getting people from out of town who will not fight the charges due to the travel time. This sort of thing does so much harm to tourism that it should be stopped the provence should step in. Please write in to the paper I think the big one in BC is the Sun. This is not how travellers should be treated this is a crime on the wrong side of a badge. By this time in history this should be the past not the present.

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
I know in WA state you can speed up to pass a slower moving vehicle,(single lane each direction) what that speed is, the RCW does not say.....;)
look at your traffic laws, maybe there is an exception for the posted speed when passing, just a thought.
I fight my own tickets, you would be surprised at all the mistakes that cops and the court system make.
when the man tries to stick it to you, stick em back....:D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Yep, it's a speed trap. Fuel for the local economy. But it's not corruption if you were doing the speed. The impound, however, seems way over the top. Never heard of that one before. Must be a Canadian thing.

Tim

My brother in law got a speeding ticket driving trough a podunk little town in Montana, because they were non-Montana residents (Californians) driving a rental car the state trooper demanded payment for the fine on the spot, cash only.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I know in WA state you can speed up to pass a slower moving vehicle,(single lane each direction) what that speed is, the RCW does not say.....;)
look at your traffic laws, maybe there is an exception for the posted speed when passing, just a thought.
I fight my own tickets, you would be surprised at all the mistakes that cops and the court system make.
when the man tries to stick it to you, stick em back....:D

Until the early or middle 1960's you could do that in New York State. You could go UP TO 15 mph above the speed limit to pass a slow vehicle for s short distance. In the mid 1960's that was changed and you could not go above the speed limit to pass a slow vehicle for any reason.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Yep, it's a speed trap. Fuel for the local economy. But it's not corruption if you were doing the speed.....<snip>
Hello, Tim. I didn't state that it was corruption, I stated that it wreaked of corruption. We don't know the whole story here but I have seen instances where speed signs are hidden by trees, hidden by other signs or placed in not-so-visible locations, in some cases they are missing completely. Then there is the classic passing zone with a reduced speed limit sign placed after the passing zone begins. It has been my experience that folks get tickets in all of these instances but usually fail to perform due diligence in fighting the ticket.

Like I said, I didn't say it was corruption but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, it's reasonable to assume that it is a duck. In Dimfer's case along with the associated information he provided, through these old eyes, it sure does look like a duck.

Tom

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I don't get this. Speeding fines are a completely voluntary tax. You chose to speed.

My 2 older sisters, both drivers are with me, they saw everything and even both of them attested they did not notice the sign. By the time I was able to bring down our luggage from the vehicle, they told our mother their version of the story and when I came inside the house, our mother offered to give me $2,000 to help me with all the related expenses.

I am a big boy and can take a punch on the chin, if I deserve it. Like previously mentioned, this is not a situation wherein I knowingly drove 160 in a 110 zone -if this was the case, you will never hear this story because I am embarrassed by it and will gladly take the ticket because I deserve it.. I missed the sign (could be my fault, could be pure coincidence that it was blocked by the big RV when I was supposed to see it and checking my passing opportunity, could be lack of proper signage). This is why I said I will go back to the scene when I return to Valemont, for my own education. Do you think I will do that if I knowingly oversped?

Last edited:

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My brother in law got a speeding ticket driving trough a podunk little town in Montana, because they were non-Montana residents (Californians) driving a rental car the state trooper demanded payment for the fine on the spot, cash only.

Um... wow. What if you didn't have the cash? Did he have a credit card machine?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Um... wow. What if you didn't have the cash? Did he have a credit card machine?
Years and years ago a friend of mine said he got pulled over middle of nowhere and didn't have cash. He gave the policeman his AAA card and he let him go. They kept the card until he paid the fine.

That got me motivated to get an AAA card. This is one of their benefits. They will guarantee the government agency that they will pay your fine if you don't.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Dimfer, sorry to hear this story. My advice, pay it all and move on. Not worth any more mental cycles or life energy. Sucks for sure, thats a lot of new LPs or CDs worth of $$, but the sooner forgotten the better. Nice story for you and you sisters to tell around the campfire.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't get this. Speeding fines are a completely voluntary tax. You chose to speed.

While you were up at 129kmh what did you think the speed limit was ?

Are you a righteous guy and never did anything against the rules or are you playing devil's advocate?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Are you a righteous guy and never did anything against the rules or are you playing devil's advocate?

I certainly am not a righteous guy. Nor am I the bad guy or a troublemaker here.
I've certainly done things against the rules. Sometimes accidentally and sometimes I've been caught but I don't really understand the relevance of your questions

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Years and years ago a friend of mine said he got pulled over middle of nowhere and didn't have cash. He gave the policeman his AAA card and he let him go. They kept the card until he paid the fine.

That got me motivated to get an AAA card. This is one of their benefits. They will guarantee the government agency that they will pay your fine if you don't.

I wonder how AA card would impress them just one less A.

It is a good point I did not know AAA would do that .

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
While you were up at 129kmh what did you think the speed limit was ?

In my youth I got a ticket for sliding a car sideways thru a red light doing 85 mph I did not crash and the cop just shock his head and said well I can not say you did not try to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing