Kef ls50

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What is the sensitivity of your Avalons? IMO, if you are used to full-range sound, you really want to run the LS50s with at least one sub and preferably more. I went to a whole other level when I daisy chained the subs in my main speakers to the other pair of subs. I would think the JA50 should sound simply beautiful with the LS50s, but if you aren't getting the SPLs you desire with at least one sub, you may just need more power.

87dB Mark...a b$&$ch!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The LS50s are the first true point source speakers I have ever owned and so far, I really, really like them. (...)

You should listen to the Quad ESL63 someday - true point source and single driver!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You should listen to the Quad ESL63 someday - true point source and single driver!

I have listened to the ESL63 and it does remind me of the LS50s in that they both need subs and they might now play as loud as you would like, specially with rock and roll.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Aren't Quads open in back? And don't they emit identical response off of both sides of the panel? They may be "point source" in a technical sense, but I would think a single or concentric driver box speaker like the KEF in question would, in practice, behave much more like a small two way than like a Quad.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I will get today some decent stands for the LS50, they are sitting on top of digest-sized TAS magazines, and try other placement options. These are intended for my office setup, but I am glad I tried them with the main rig, who said speaker technology was stagnant!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I know my LS50s aren't even close to being broken in yet, but I think I may be starting to come to terms with them. They do have a point they can't be pushed past, and it may come sooner than you like. Rock and Roll will get you to that point quicker than jazz, but you can find it with jazz also. I may need to move these speakers even further into the room to see if that helps, but I'm really not a fan of near-field listening. The LS50s are very quick and clean, but they are also lean which adds to the "clean" that you hear-or at least I think it does. Kept within their limits (dynamic envelope), these are really good speakers with a lot of finesse and elegance. They will not rock your house down, nor will they play dynamic music at levels some would describe as "live" and do it without distortion setting in. And because these speakers are so clean when they aren't being pushed/stressed, you will hear any distortion immediately and know that all isn't right in your little world.

When I first hooked up the LS50s, I was wondering if the cleanliness I was hearing was a lack of enclosure noise compared to my 150 lb (each) Def Tech speakers or if it was a lack of information that made other frequencies stand out more (like the midrange and treble for instance). Using subs fills in the bottom two octaves that are basically MIA, but there is still a leanness above 80 Hz because a driver this small can only move so much air. I'm up in the air about them now after last night's listening session. I will say that I listened to the 45 RPM LP Stan Meets Chet last night which arrived yesterday from Music Direct and it sounded fabulous. This is the first time I have heard this LP so I have no point of reference of hearing it with my big speakers.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
mep

I am with you on the LS50. Within their dynamic limitations, they are as good as any speaker one may have heard. Don't push them too hard. It is not really a matter of SPL, they can play loud, it is that past a certain point, I would put that above 95 dB they are no longer startling, they are merely good. Past 100 dB at 3 meter in a medium room ... You asking for much more they may have been designed for. I have not lived with them long enough to make a defintive asessment . Suffice to say, they will keep me happy until I get to a dedicated room.

I disagree with you however about the mass issue. While rigidity doesn't always equate mass. An heavy enclosure has the potential to kill unwanted vibration. As a matter of fact the "quietest" speakers I have heard are heavy, very heavy: Magico comes to mind but also Wilson X-2 and Rockport (Aquila or Ankaa? can't remember) to name those. What I think comes to play is the ability to reproduce live levels in the upper bass to lower midrange region, say from 100 Hz to 800 Hz. There had to be some compromises and those most 2-ways share. IF one were to take a speaker like the X-2 100 hz to 800 Hz is covered by large cones ( I believe the second woofer, the 13 inch get up there to 600 Hz according to some sources) with serious magnet (or otherwise) motors. In such designs the midrange drivers don't have to do bass so they are optimized to do midrange as well , as clean and as loud as it can be .. Same with most large 3-ways and up the critical 100 to 500 hz region is usually covered by dedicated and beefy driver or drivers...

The speaker is simply superb. Within what it design range it is the full equal to many speakers costing several times more and believe you me, I'm not speaking of $5K speakers ... I would like to write a review about this little marvel. Maybe in two months, I will be traveling and taking a relatively long ( >2 weeks) vacation something I haven't done for nearly 8 years. If anyone can audition these at home please do. The better the electronics the better they will sound. They are as revealing as they get. One of the best speakers around and that at any price. The demeaning and patronizing "for-its-price" doesn't apply. They are flat-out excellent. If the Kef Blades are designed as well .. They could be killers in the $30 to $100K speaker region .. No jokes

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz-I didn't realize that you had already taken the plunge and bought them. What are you driving them with?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Plinius 8200 Integrated amp + Currently trying a loaner Berleley DAC ... which sound like a must keep BTW .. Burmester amp coming in a couple of months ... The Plinius is surprisingly good BTW. No subs ..yet

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good point Frantz, I have heard the Blades only at shows and was not impressed at all, but based on the LS50 performance I am experiencing, KEF needs to work FAST on a mini-Blade model, something at arround 10k would be great¡

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good point Frantz, I have heard the Blades only at shows and was not impressed at all, but based on the LS50 performance I am experiencing, KEF needs to work FAST on a mini-Blade model, something at arround 10k would be great¡

Yes they play loud with little finesse.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

not exactly mini blades but they did demo at newport the r900s which have the same concentric driver from the Ls50 flanked by two 8 in. aluminum woofers. sensitvity is better at 90 db and -6 at 35 hz...they sounded pretty good, again under show conditions.

Attachments

• r900rw.jpg
    r900rw.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 443

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If they cross the coaxial driver over at a higher frequency, the R900s should be able to play louder than the LS50s.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
After 36 hours in my main system I got the Avalons back to the chain, and differences were now more obvious after the turmoil of the new acquirement, the Ascents were 18kusd new so it is an unfair comparison, but the main issue remains; does the Avalons sound ten times better than the KEFs? - the answer is an absolute NO.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
After 36 hours in my main system I got the Avalons back to the chain, and differences were now more obvious after the turmoil of the new acquirement, the Ascents were 18kusd new so it is an unfair comparison, but the main issue remains; does the Avalons sound ten times better than the KEFs? - the answer is an absolute NO.

But the real question regardless of price is do the Avalons sound better? I assume when you put them back in your system you recaptured some information that was missing from the LS50s. That was the way I felt when I put my he-man speakers back in the system.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
But the real question regardless of price is do the Avalons sound better? I assume when you put them back in your system you recaptured some information that was missing from the LS50s. That was the way I felt when I put my he-man speakers back in the system.

To my ears the Avalons are much more relaxed, full-range capable and more engaging speakers than the LS50 in my system, I did not get additional information where the KEFs can play compared to the former.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing