Kef ls50

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And the LS50s have finesse but can't play loud.

Didn't say well loud though :) Always sound compressed to me.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
To my ears the Avalons are much more relaxed, full-range capable and more engaging speakers than the LS50 in my system, I did not get additional information where the KEFs can play compared to the former.

Fernando-I think the relaxation comes from both the Avalons because they can play louder without strain and your body/mind relaxing because you know your Avalons can play louder without strain. Once you figure out where the limit switch is on the LS50s, it causes your sphincter muscle to tighten every time you are listening to music that you know will hit the limit switch.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that the LS50s are anything less than a really well designed small speaker. Tons of engineering and innovative cabinet design went into these little jewels. They really need to be in a small room/space to sound their best I think.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Fernando-I think the relaxation comes from both the Avalons because they can play louder without strain and your body/mind relaxing because you know your Avalons can play louder without strain. Once you figure out where the limit switch is on the LS50s, it causes your sphincter muscle to tighten every time you are listening to music that you know will hit the limit switch.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that the LS50s are anything less than a really well designed small speaker. Tons of engineering and innovative cabinet design went into these little jewels. They really need to be in a small room/space to sound their best I think.

mep, the end of a lover affair!!!!!!

Ah, and we thought it would be a fine romance.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ustom-Made-Sound-Anchor-Stands&highlight=ls50

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Lots of these will start showing up on the used market.
There's a pair listed on Agon for $1150.

Question to all: Can they serve in a 5.1 home cinema set do you think? Or do they really not play loud enough for that?
Wim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Question to all: Can they serve in a 5.1 home cinema set do you think? Or do they really not play loud enough for that?
Wim

I don't think they will work. I once made the mistake of trying to use Spendors in a HT system. Nightmare.

You really need speakers with above average efficiency. I use Paradigms all around, and I could not be happier.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Lots of these will start showing up on the used market.
There's a pair listed on Agon for $1150.

Maybe. If it does happen, it is not unusual for a high volume product with significant buzz.
Sure, the Merry Go Rounders will buy 'em, get bored, and move on to the next thing.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maybe. If it does happen, it is not unusual for a high volume product with significant buzz.
Sure, the Merry Go Rounders will buy 'em, get bored, and move on to the next thing.

Explain what a "merry go rounder" means. I have had my current speakers for over 6 years before I bought the LS50s. Does that qualify me as a "merry go rounder" using whatever your definition is?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Explain what a "merry go rounder" means. I have had my current speakers for over 6 years before I bought the LS50s. Does that qualify me as a "merry go rounder" using whatever your definition is?

I don't think you had them long enough to qualify as a "merry go rounder," Mark. A speed-dater, perhaps?

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Really? I assumed that a "merry go rounder" was closer to being a speed dater. I would hardly call over six years of ownership a speed date.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Really? I assumed that a "merry go rounder" was closer to being a speed dater. I would hardly call over six years of ownership a speed date.

dCS Elgar Plus, dCS Verdi, Spectral 360 (1), Kef 207/2....damn...I fail being a merry go rounder and/or a speed dater :p

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I was not referring to you mep. MY definition of a merry go rounder is an audiophile who obsesses over the boxes way more than the music, and is makinga series of constant lateral moves with their system. They do nothing but doubt they have the right preamp, the right amp, or the right cable. Actually there is no right, since they are already thinking about the next lateral move before the new piece of gear has even broken in.

I too am going on 6 years with my main system and 6 years on my bedroom system. The Harbeth Compact 7s were my OFF the merry go round purchase in reference to speakers.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Probably a good thing for the industry that there are so many...shall we be kind and say: "inexperienced a'philes":D. IMHO,these guys 'turn and burn' gear with no clear idea as to what they are looking for, or more importantly, listening for.
They buy speakers that are too small for their room, or too large for their room ( perhaps a more common mistake). They buy tube amps that don't work with their speakers or with their preamps, they try this and they try that and after awhile, many get frustrated and sullen:(.
None of this is good for their pocketbooks, BUT I guess the old saying about learning the hard way is good for some.
OTOH, as I started to say, it is good for the economy and better still for the audio industry, LOL:).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The hard lessons stick ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Probably a good thing for the industry that there are so many...shall we be kind and say: "inexperienced a'philes":D. IMHO,these guys 'turn and burn' gear with no clear idea as to what they are looking for, or more importantly, listening for.
They buy speakers that are too small for their room, or too large for their room ( perhaps a more common mistake). They buy tube amps that don't work with their speakers or with their preamps, they try this and they try that and after awhile, many get frustrated and sullen:(.
None of this is good for their pocketbooks, BUT I guess the old saying about learning the hard way is good for some.
OTOH, as I started to say, it is good for the economy and better still for the audio industry, LOL:).

Absolutely Davey. Those without real knowledge and the merry go rounders are keeping the industry alive. Thank god for them. It subsides the rest of us.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I was talking about the KEFs.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Absolutely Davey. Those without real knowledge and the merry go rounders are keeping the industry alive. Thank god for them. It subsides the rest of us.

A little presumptuous don't you think? I guess you and Davey are the audio geniuses/gurus and fountains of knowledge on this forum. As for the "merry go rounders," they don't "subside" you, they subsidize you. You need to work on your English writing skills to bring it up to par with your audio "real knowledge."

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A little presumptuous don't you think? I guess you and Davey are the audio geniuses/gurus and fountains of knowledge on this forum. As for the "merry go rounders," they don't "subside" you, they subsidize you. You need to work on your English writing skills to bring it up to par with your audio "real knowledge."

LOL. Did we strike a nerve?

Regards,

The Audio Genius/Guru.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing