KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
On another forum, Jim Smith addresses this very subject. He just finished assembling and setting up his new system and claims it costs less than his former power cords at retail. The important thing is that he seems to get more enjoyment out of it, meaning musical engagement. I think there are many ways to approach this hobby. Keith has been willing to share a large part of his journey on this thread. It's been a fascinating read with plenty to discuss.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: tima

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So nice that you each have a Strauss. :D

Indeed. The Austrian Strauss, by the way, the king of the Waltz, was someone who actually Bruckner, Brahms and Wagner, otherwise belonging to "adversarial" musical camps (especially the latter two, but Bruckner was drawn into this via Hanslick), could agree on: they all loved his music.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On another forum, Jim Smith addresses this very subject. He just finished assembling and setting up his new system and claims it costs less than his former power cords at retail.

What's the new system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess I lament some of the comments on this thread lately as it really comes off as an elitist hobby. Truth be told a year ago I almost went back to a more modest solution - like say a $10k-$15k pair of speakers and an integrated. It seems like the preferred solution is only to spend more and more $ and I start to back off from the hobby. People can make fun of my trekky Ampzillas, but they did sound better than most of the amps that were trotted in for demo. The only amp that I found comparable was a Jeff Rowland.

When I hear folks say $15k amplifiers are budget oriented, I feel the hobby has lost its way (see the crazy amp dude's YouTube channel that considers Pass Labs "mid fi"). The average Stereophile reader's system is $19k, but this is WBF after all so I guess it's expected. The reason this hobby has shrunk so much is the focus in the audiophile media and community on high priced bling of the month - I chuckled two years ago when TAS declared the $50k speaker category as "highly competitive." Dagostino is famously designed on form over function. Have you seen the internals of a Constellation compared with the expensive case? Why does carbon fibre and installation lights *on the back(!)* of a Chronosonic impress people?

I've often wondered if I should go back and maybe its too late for that now, but still on my mind. Twenty years ago when I got in this hobby there was tons of cool, moderately priced gear and not many Grand SLAMMs - now its the opposite.

+10. Which is why those who have control over their OCD and expenses should stick to Devores and vintage tannoys.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, lately I"ve sensed something of a drift to economy in your postings. Are you thinking about getting a system?

No. If I do I already have most of the components anyway that I am tempted to sell off

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't ever remember not recommending Devore and vintage tannoys alongside some expensive and custom gear

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't ever remember not recommending Devore and vintage tannoys alongside some expensive and custom gear

I hope the Devore that you like don't have the bad wooden coloration that I heard from the Devore Gibbon 3XL minimonitors that I once tried at home, both on their own wooden stands and on my sand filled steel stands at the time.

I like, and crave, a "wooden" sound on solo strings, but that should come from the quality of reproduction, not from obvious coloration by a wooden speaker cabinet. Everything sounded wood colored on these speakers, including vocals. The first half hour listening it might have seemed a warm and pleasant sound, then it became just annoying. The coloration got in the way of the music.

My old Ensemble Reference monitors were handily superior to these $ 4K Devore monitors. My previous Reference 3A MM DeCapo BE monitors, costing just $ 3K, in turn easily beat my Ensemble speakers. Verdict of the Devore monitors: overpriced relative to their performance.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I totally agree. My Magico Q3s sounded really superb with the Lamm SS amps. I suspect you image they did not. I have heard good examples from each approach too. My change was based on both wanting to try a SET and a very efficient (105dB/16 ohm) corner horn speaker. Thus, we must agree to disagree about those Magicos having a very strong difference of opinion.
Just for clarification, the Lamms are hybrids as they have a tube in the circuit.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I guess I lament some of the comments on this thread lately as it really comes off as an elitist hobby. Truth be told a year ago I almost went back to a more modest solution - like say a $10k-$15k pair of speakers and an integrated. It seems like the preferred solution is only to spend more and more $ and I start to back off from the hobby. People can make fun of my trekky Ampzillas, but they did sound better than most of the amps that were trotted in for demo. The only amp that I found comparable was a Jeff Rowland.

When I hear folks say $15k amplifiers are budget oriented, I feel the hobby has lost its way (see the crazy amp dude's YouTube channel that considers Pass Labs "mid fi"). The average Stereophile reader's system is $19k, but this is WBF after all so I guess it's expected. The reason this hobby has shrunk so much is the focus in the audiophile media and community on high priced bling of the month - I chuckled two years ago when TAS declared the $50k speaker category as "highly competitive." Dagostino is famously designed on form over function. Have you seen the internals of a Constellation compared with the expensive case? Why does carbon fibre and installation lights *on the back(!)* of a Chronosonic impress people?

I've often wondered if I should go back and maybe its too late for that now, but still on my mind. Twenty years ago when I got in this hobby there was tons of cool, moderately priced gear and not many Grand SLAMMs - now its the opposite.
Pass Labs amps (not necessarily First Watt) are mid-fi...but not because of price...because of its mid-fi sound (IMO).

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hope the Devore that you like don't have the bad wooden coloration that I heard from the Devore Gibbon 3XL minimonitors that I once tried at home, both on their own wooden stands and on my sand filled steel stands at the time.

I like, and crave, a "wooden" sound on solo strings, but that should come from the quality of reproduction, not from obvious coloration by a wooden speaker cabinet. Everything sounded wood colored on these speakers, including vocals. The first half hour listening it might have seemed a warm and pleasant sound, then it became just annoying. The coloration got in the way of the music.

My old Ensemble Reference monitors were handily superior to these $ 4K Devore monitors. My previous Reference 3A MM DeCapo BE monitors, costing just $ 3K, in turn easily beat my Ensemble speakers. Verdict of the Devore monitors: overpriced relative to their performance.

I don't know the Gibbons. The orangutans are great. They are very transparent to recordings though they have a wooden signature. Never said they were the final perfect.

Each concert on them sounds different and stages differently and just flows if run on a 10 to 15w transparent set.

The vintage tannoys also have a certain color. They are more like rice and pasta, satisfying, rather than fine dining. Hence my OCD and expense disclaimers

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
+10. Which is why those who have control over their OCD and expenses should stick to Devores and vintage tannoys.
These are by far not the only or arguably best options for higher sensitivity non-fully (or at all) horn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
These are by far not the only or arguably best options for higher sensitivity non-fully (or at all) horn.

I didn't say they were the best. They are very good value, if you had to spend you might as well go for the best. Like with Peter's system, vintage tannoys give you the living room too.

They are quite superior to Odeon upto nr. 38, to Dynamikks, and to WVL Son and Lon, duos, tune audio models below Anima and hORNs below universum, maybe tying with Symphony.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I didn't say they were the best. They are very good value, if you had to spend you might as well go for the best. Like with Peter's system, vintage tannoys give you the living room too.

They are quite superior to Odeon upto nr. 38, to Dynamikks, and to WVL Son and Lon, duos, tune audio models below Anima and hORNs below universum, maybe tying with Symphony.
I and many others would disagree with you so it should be clear it is your opinion and not a fact.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
On another forum, Jim Smith addresses this very subject. He just finished assembling and setting up his new system and claims it costs less than his former power cords at retail. The important thing is that he seems to get more enjoyment out of it, meaning musical engagement. I think there are many ways to approach this hobby. Keith has been willing to share a large part of his journey on this thread. It's been a fascinating read with plenty to discuss.
Can you share a link?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I and many others would disagree with you so it should be clear it is your opinion and not a fact.
Yes, the same way that all your "statements" are Brad ! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing