Kind regards and salutations to all

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course, we heard the Pnoes on 170W/ch as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What's a few Watts btwn friends?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, can you sum up the differences in presentation on TMayer 46's v TM 211's v Nat Magmas?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, can you sum up the differences in presentation on TMayer 46's v TM 211's v Nat Magmas?

I’ll have a bash Marc. First up, please note that one needs appropriate speakers for 1.25 watt 46 amplifiers of course - I know this sounds obvious but you do see people putting the most inappropriate speaker / amp combinations together. So with that out the way.

Remember the AER Pnoe is ~118db and easy impedance thus you can make an awful lot of noise with milliwatts.

46 drives a 46 Monoblocks:

> The most outrageous, uncompromising authenticity of *tone* from any amplifier I ever heard. The net result is a level of frisson-inducing timbral fidelity that is SOTA
> Ultra levels of inner detailing throughout a very capacious stage.
> Extremely quiet amplifier resulting in that image “popping” holography

211 Monoblocks (standard 2 chassis)
> Potent drive and slam - a grip of iron
> Very high levels of resolution indeed (I don’t believe I heard a 211 this quiet and high in resolution)
> This is not a deliberately “pretty” sounding 211 amplifier - we are not talking about the cream silk addition atop strings for example)
> Lots of drive and foot tapping rhythm that makes you want to get an ASBO (antisocial behaviour order for our non-UK friends)

NAT Magma:
> At a macro level these are operating at a substantially lower level - why?
> The tone and resolution is markedly more coarse and of a lower fidelity
> Noise floor is a lot higher - not measured but would guess in the realm of 15db
> The presentation has loads of harmonic texture that appears as a colouration rather than what is on the LP imho. It is overblown I would say. There is plenty of bloom at certain pints of the mids if you like that kind of thing but honestly you’ll find it annoying on the back of a Mayer 211 listen for example
> Build quality is massively lower. Without wishing to be derisory, I would say the Mayer is like a Rolls Royce and the NAT more like a Fiat.

Anyway - with all this said. If you have very efficient horns that can be driven with a 1.25 watts and your diet is not solely electronica then the 46 is the weapon of choice. If you need more juice, you should take the Mayer 211 (I haven’t talked about the differential Mayer 211 in order to keep the comparison fair with the 46). The NAT is rather funny to look at and some might need 170 SET watts - personally I find that level of SET watts with that tube a bit silly although quite amusing. I don’t find the sound compelling at all.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fascinating. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised the Mayers score big time over the Magmas.

A fun comparison, nevertheless.

I'm fully aware here that my Nats are not the most neutral amps, and maybe noisier than others. But I think only comparison to a serious rival like Mayer would push me to change. And that's what you've done.

Was The General of similar mind to the Magmas?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Tang,

You have picked a super rare one here,99 hand made by Mr. Fahey himself.

I have two copies and have only seen one other in thirty years.

Kindest regards,G.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

You have picked a super rare one here,99 hand made by Mr. Fahey himself.

I have two copies and have only seen one other in thirty years.

Kindest regards,G.

Dear sir,

In this case I will have to claw back to my little hole.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
No need to dwell in holes sir,
Depending on what you send back I may still owe you money,that you could put toward the Fahey?

Kindest regards,G.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No need to dwell in holes sir,
Depending on what you send back I may still owe you money,that you could put toward the Fahey?

Kindest regards,G.

I am not a collector sir. Just like to enjoy good music and sound. I have a lowly reissue of the record. Wonder how much better it would sound with your limited release. Imo the music from the first album Blind Joe Death catches my ears more.
I dont think you owe me anything sir. What you have sent to me I never tried to price them. I just enjoy them.

One thing about most records from you sir. People would find them no special if the system is too seasoned and not very highly resolved.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear General,

I am not a classical person, but I enjoyed this record very much. No spotlight on this recording. The piano souned like it has a closed lid. The violin every so often turned my head from reading financial report. I was somewhere in the back of th recording venue doing my work. My airconditioning was on but the air felt warm.

527CBCD0-9023-485B-85D8-A71789C97081.jpeg

Kindest regards,
Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not sure how I missed this thread. That is a stereo I would like to hear.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I’ll have a bash Marc. First up, please note that one needs appropriate speakers for 1.25 watt 46 amplifiers of course - I know this sounds obvious but you do see people putting the most inappropriate speaker / amp combinations together. So with that out the way.

Remember the AER Pnoe is ~118db and easy impedance thus you can make an awful lot of noise with milliwatts.

46 drives a 46 Monoblocks:

> The most outrageous, uncompromising authenticity of *tone* from any amplifier I ever heard. The net result is a level of frisson-inducing timbral fidelity that is SOTA
> Ultra levels of inner detailing throughout a very capacious stage.
> Extremely quiet amplifier resulting in that image “popping” holography

211 Monoblocks (standard 2 chassis)
> Potent drive and slam - a grip of iron
> Very high levels of resolution indeed (I don’t believe I heard a 211 this quiet and high in resolution)
> This is not a deliberately “pretty” sounding 211 amplifier - we are not talking about the cream silk addition atop strings for example)
> Lots of drive and foot tapping rhythm that makes you want to get an ASBO (antisocial behaviour order for our non-UK friends)

NAT Magma:
> At a macro level these are operating at a substantially lower level - why?
> The tone and resolution is markedly more coarse and of a lower fidelity
> Noise floor is a lot higher - not measured but would guess in the realm of 15db
> The presentation has loads of harmonic texture that appears as a colouration rather than what is on the LP imho. It is overblown I would say. There is plenty of bloom at certain pints of the mids if you like that kind of thing but honestly you’ll find it annoying on the back of a Mayer 211 listen for example
> Build quality is massively lower. Without wishing to be derisory, I would say the Mayer is like a Rolls Royce and the NAT more like a Fiat.

Anyway - with all this said. If you have very efficient horns that can be driven with a 1.25 watts and your diet is not solely electronica then the 46 is the weapon of choice. If you need more juice, you should take the Mayer 211 (I haven’t talked about the differential Mayer 211 in order to keep the comparison fair with the 46). The NAT is rather funny to look at and some might need 170 SET watts - personally I find that level of SET watts with that tube a bit silly although quite amusing. I don’t find the sound compelling at all.

Dear Bill,

I missed your post here. If you also have heard the 211 differential (4 chassis.), how are they comparing to the normal 211.

Kindest regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They are much better than the normal ones.

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.vinylsavor.com
Hi!

Please let me clarify some information about the 211 amplifiers I build.
There is no differential or push pull 211 amplifier in my portfolio.
The entry level model is 2 chassis (mono blocks).
The mid level is 4 chassis, monos with separate power supplies. This uses a directly heated triode (801A) as driver.
It offers both single ended and balanced (differential) inputs since it uses input transformers which naturally offer balanced operation. The internal signal path is singe ended.
And then there are the top versions, 4 chassis with a 211 alsop as driver tube. This is available with copper or silver transformers.
The general has the 4 chassis mid level version

Best regargds

Thomas

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Bill,

I missed your post here. If you also have heard the 211 differential (4 chassis.), how are they comparing to the normal 211.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Hi Tang,

Yes the 4 chassis are in different league to the standard ones without a doubt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill and I spent 5 hours in one of my most intense music sessions where the General DJed jazz and blues covering, among others, Doug Watkins, art Blakey, Hank Mobley, a fantastic copy of Duke Ellington's back to back LP, lightning Hopkins, muddy waters, Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Donald Byrd etc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing