Knotscott's System

knotscott

Sep 26, 2023
Rochester, NY
Hello everyone. Thought I'd say hi and introduce my "poor man's highend" system.

The Dynaco amps, Lazarus preamp, and Sterling Acoustics speakers have been the heart of this system for more than 30 years. In 2020 the amps got a major overhaul with the addition of the VTA driver boards, solid state rectification, new caps throughout, new driver tubes, and new KT66 output tubes. The preamp got freshened up with several new caps, resistors, and new tubes shortly after. For a source, I rotate in a few different turntables with a variety of carts that connect to a modified Bugle 3 phono stage (my favorite cart in my current collection is a Nagaoka MP150 body mated to a JN-P500 nude fine line stylus). There's also a Denon 5 disc CD player feeding a Topping E30 DAC. Lots of DIY touches and modifications in this system.

The system is currently in a horizontal bi-amp configuration with the Dyna/VTA amps used as single channel mono blocks driving the mids and tweeters of the main speakers. Each driver has it's own input. There's an active crossover feeding a Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp that drives the main woofers from 80 hz down, and also feeds the Definitive Technology subwoofer. It's not fancy, but sounds wonderful to me, and gets enjoyed everyday!

2023.JPG

IMG_1407.jpg July2023Diag.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing