Krelles system with SMT room treatment!

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Okej... I understand

I can point out the lack of information when I meet him next week.
There may also be reasons why it is as it is ?

Like Krelle, I am in need of measurements and adjustments of my existing SMT products.
There will probably be more of these when the "analysis" is complete :cool:

mcdee3

Oct 7, 2018
This is my 1st post …..
Even a lot of cable manufacturers do not measure the cables, so values of capacitance, inductance, and resistance on their web pages/catalogues are not shown. Materials od conductors, insulation, shielding is not described …

When measurements are published, there is question of accuracy. Lab measurement should be precise on 0,5 or 1 %. There are mistakes in measuring set up, instruments, … And who do real lab measurements in certified lab?

I have replaced acoustic modules of very known manufacturer who has all the modules equipped with measured absorption graphs, diffusion coefficients, …. all installation was done by local official distributor/installer . The result was boomy bass and over damped room.

This installation was replaced with basic SMT installation. As results boomy bass has disappeared, bass is more defined, small room becomes (sounds) larger …. Bravo SMT!

Reactions: Krelle and Marcus

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Pan, it could hardly be worse. I get the need to speak in detail on individual installs, but SMT lack of coherent info would not attract me as a new client. Only hugely positive client testimonials like Krelle here is keeping me interested in them.

When you look at GIK, Acustica Applicata, ASC etc, it's a different story.

i am to come across the first guy or company that is unhappy about SMT. They thrive by word of mouth marketing, nothing else as you can see from the website...
I may help you in first instance on getting into contact with Matts and some recommendations for acoustics. Please pm me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Flyer, no complaint of the product. I get the recommendation thing, it's just that if I came across them independently of here, I'd move past them re the website. Just a comment as an interested observer/potential customer.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I have replaced acoustic modules of very known manufacturer who has all the modules equipped with measured absorption graphs, diffusion coefficients, …. all installation was done by local official distributor/installer . The result was boomy bass and over damped room.

This installation was replaced with basic SMT installation. As results boomy bass has disappeared, bass is more defined, small room becomes (sounds) larger …. Bravo SMT!
I did the same years ago (replaced acoustic modules of a very known manufacturer) with SMT Level 1+ treatment and would do it again. Still extremely satisfied after all these years. I’m building a new log house in the mountains with a dedicated listening room in the basement. SMT already sent me a few very interesting ideas re. acoustic treatments...

Reactions: flyer and Krelle

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Flyer, no complaint of the product. I get the recommendation thing, it's just that if I came across them independently of here, I'd move past them re the website. Just a comment as an interested observer/potential customer.
Can't and don't blame you for that :), no worry.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Flyer, I will deffo bear SMT in mind. The quote I've had from the Acustica Applicata dealer in UK for comprehensive room treatment is pretty pricey. GIK fit out about 1/3 the cost.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bodhi, liking the look of RdAcoustic.cz stuff. The big 1.6m x 1.6m diffusor (which Shakti uses) I can't physically get into my room. But the hybrid panels at 1m x 1m and 2m x 1m are more practical. Seem to be v well built and aesthetically first class. Up there now w GIK and Acustica Applicata on my shortlist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
spiritofmusic Personally i'd be tempted to use a uneven granite wall as per the pics below with ASC Isothermal tube traps in a basic setup with front corner stacks, RW Acoustics Luxury art panels for the side reflection points, custom vinyl and cd storage along the same lines as member redcars & a pitched ceiling as per the attached drawings provided by Peter Mackay at Magico (though ideally this would need to be considered in the architectural plans before building your room).

19679989_1590180427659348_787725867_n-1.jpg
46120908_920278548167008_8433279448039555072_n.jpg
thumbnail_img070.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bodhi, my room is already built, and by luck I have a proper pitched ceiling as per my roofline descending eaves.

I could contemplate an uneven front wall in the way you describe. That would provide diffusion, but no absorption.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Spiritofmusic, you're lucky with your ceiling. And you're right, an uneven granite front wall will only provide diffusion, hence the suggestion of adding something like ASC tube traps. I believe you can also custom-order them in a square shape as per the pic below, so they visually integrate a bit better into a home environment.

69138842_2422593161138655_8324997472761937920_n.jpg

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
i am to come across the first guy or company that is unhappy about SMT. They thrive by word of mouth marketing, nothing else as you can see from the website...
I may help you in first instance on getting into contact with Matts and some recommendations for acoustics. Please pm me.

+1.
replaced some of DaaD and Realtrap with Wing panels from SMT

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Spiritofmusic, you're lucky with your ceiling. And you're right, an uneven granite front wall will only provide diffusion, hence the suggestion of adding something like ASC tube traps. I believe you can also custom-order them in a square shape as per the pic below, so they visually integrate a bit better into a home environment.

View attachment 56175
Dedicated room, so no probs w cylindrical traps.

Reactions: Bodhi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1.
replaced some of DaaD and Realtrap with Wing panels from SMT
What was missing w the Daads?
How does SMT improve upon them?
Acustica Applicata is so pricey, I abs do not want to go down the wrong path here if better is out there.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
What was missing w the Daads?
How does SMT improve upon them?
Acustica Applicata is so pricey, I abs do not want to go down the wrong path here if better is out there.

I still use DaaD for a couple of corners to minimize the effect of bass.
The use of Wing panels (installed near the speakers as you can see on My System. ) have significantly improved soundstage and three-dimensionality. The musical flow has more impact and body. The stage in front of me is more defined and natural. Even if by their nature the Avalon speakers disappear, with the addition of the Wing panels they seem to disappear even more and the sound appears more vivid and real.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
spiritofmusic Personally i'd be tempted to use a uneven granite wall as per the pics below ...

View attachment 56171

Angled ceiling, yes, definitely interesting (ideally at least 10° but less also has an effect).

But the granite wall as in the picture is going to have very little impact in my opinion. It will only impact a little the upper octave, so hardly noticeable.
Certainly not in the critical midrange. It will reduce the flutter echo to a certain degree. But if you are not putting such wall in for the aesthetics, it is a waste of money trying to improve acoustics with it. But it definitely looks very nice I agree.
To be impactful, it would need to be much more ruggedized with much more (and varying) depths between layers and between stones, not in millimeters as in above picture but decimeters...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've just emailed Matts for prices on AD10, 20, 30 and 40, 1m and 2m high. Plus details on his ceiling treatments. The SMT Wings look a knockout, and tbh, if they outperform Daads as Paolo states, I'm happy to consider them.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I got some prices from Matts recently for the transparent V wings (145cm) (700 euros), MDf flower diffusers (500E) and plastic flower diffusers (240E).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I still use DaaD for a couple of corners to minimize the effect of bass.
The use of Wing panels (installed near the speakers as you can see on My System. ) have significantly improved soundstage and three-dimensionality. The musical flow has more impact and body. The stage in front of me is more defined and natural. Even if by their nature the Avalon speakers disappear, with the addition of the Wing panels they seem to disappear even more and the sound appears more vivid and real.
Paolo, can you post any more photos of yr install. My issue w all the SMT Wings installs that I've seen is that every square inch of available wall surface seems to be treated.

Involving 3m along front wall and 5m on side walls. Not an inconsiderable cost ensues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing