Kuzma 4Point - which tonearm wire?

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm interested in obtaining the 11 inch Kuzma 4Point, but am very confused which tonearm wire to choose. One one hand, I plan to run balanced and I read that cables matter much less, on the other hand I've of the belief that everything matters including tonearm cables. So I'm confused in choosing the Crystal Cable Gold/Silver, Kondo, Crystal Cable Mono Silver, or get something else (prices like the $13k Nordost Odin tonearm cable is way out of my budget)
https://www.artisanfidelity.com/tonearms/kuzma-4point-11-inch.

I'm trying to get the best performance at the lowest cost. I try to purchase used but I insist on the newer ruby/sapphire bearings so pickings is a bit slim - I'm resigning myself that I may have to purchase new.

System - Constellation Inspiration Pre and Stereo, Van Der Hul Grail SB, VPI Avenger, Lyra Etna, Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think the most popular options are the Cardas clear or the Crystal mono. Find a dealer who can advise you based on your system, room and listening preferences. Sometimes buying new from a good dealer has its benefits.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
M.Fremer did an article on tone arm wiring options from Franc Kuzma for the 4Point tonearm. The article covers Cardas Clear, Kondo, Crystal Cable Silver Monocrystal and the stock Crystal Cable Silver/Gold. You don't get his opinion but you do get 4 .aiff files to download for sampling sound through each wire.

Do Tonearm Cables Make a Sonic Difference? You Decide!

I'm not sure that Franc does the Nordost anymore. Imo it is Cardas or Kondo. I chose Kondo, which is a bit pricey. I was going to have a run of each, Cardas to the output box and Kondo to the full run to RCAs, but that was thick.

Either way you will want to burn-in the wire as it probably will never get burned-in with a low output cartridge and it does make a small difference. I talk about this with more detail toward's the end of my 4Point review:

DSC01648.JPG

Last edited:

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I've tried Valhalla 2, Clear, Audience, TYR 1&2, by far a length of Chord Music from my SUT to my Ypsilon VPS100 was the best. My Universal arm has a fixed cable that looks like Cardas, but when my TT3 gets here I'll look for another Music, on secondary. It's the best cable I've ever used. I felt like every cable before was a compromise, Nordost revealing and dynamic, but less body than Clear. Also highlighted surface noise and SSSibilance. Music is in your price range and definitely worth auditioning. It has a proprietary dielectric Taylon. No financial incentives, just years of trying out cables.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, I went with the Cardas, into a RCA block. Then run my own tonearm cable from there (Transparent Magnum Opus). I do think the tonearm cable is very important...I will recommend the Cardas straight to your phono stage. It's likely the best price/performance ratio.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I think the most popular options are the Cardas clear or the Crystal mono. Find a dealer who can advise you based on your system, room and listening preferences. Sometimes buying new from a good dealer has its benefits.
Good advice

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I plan to run balanced
it’s almost impossible to get it single ended. like almost all high quality tonearms it will normally have balanced wiring but to terminate it either with rca or xlr is up to you. I would go with rca cause there are more phono stages with rca and there are more options on high quality rca connectors.

I completely agree with @tima about using Kondo AN-AI. IMHO tonearm cable makes a big difference.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If you want to use any current based phono stage you should consider balanced. I would go with XLR balanced to phono stage as planned. If you want to use step-up transformers or single ended designs such as Lamm or Kondo then RCA.

John Wyant

Feb 23, 2024
Marietta, Georgia
What kind of burn in gizmo was in Tima's photo? I have an old "Duotech cable enhancer". Would that work to burn in a Kondo cable on a Kuzma 4 point 7? I understand that those cables arrive partially burned in.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you want to use any current based phono stage you should consider balanced. I would go with XLR balanced to phono stage as planned. If you want to use step-up transformers or single ended designs such as Lamm or Kondo then RCA.
That is not the case for the CH Precision P1 (currently one of the best current input / transimpedance Phono Stages out there) where it doesn't matter due to how the RCA and XLR inputs are connected within the unit !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing