L1 or X1 At First?

agencal

Apr 27, 2024
Istanbul
Hi all again :)

As most of you suggested i pulled the triger for C1.2 to use it with my M1.1 and Sonus Faber il cremonese ex3me speakers. I have a budget left to buy one more pice. I am mostly after soundstage depth and detail.
So which must be my next piece X1 for C1.2 or L1 to bypass C1.2 ‘s volume control.
Ps. I will listen digital only on roon(qobus,tidal)

best

ahmed

Reactions: Young Skywalker

As most of you suggested i pulled the triger for C1.2 to use it with my M1.1 and Sonus Faber il cremonese ex3me speakers. I have a budget left to buy one more pice. I am mostly after soundstage depth and detail.
So which must be my next piece X1 for C1.2 or L1 to bypass C1.2 ‘s volume control.

best

ahmed

I would suggest a two step process - get the L1 first followed by the X1 later on. That's what I would do.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

I would hope that when spending this sort of money, you would be able to test both the L1 and X1 in your system. Philosophically, adding a component (active preamp) to the signal chain only has the potential to diminish recorded information (the kind that defines the recorded acoustic and the relationships between the musicians in it). Adding a quieter power supply should make more of the DAC’s resolution more apparent. Just my take as a long term advocate of passive volume controls deployed appropriately (overall gain structure and impedance matching).

I would hope that when spending this sort of money, you would be able to test both the L1 and X1 in your system. Philosophically, adding a component (active preamp) to the signal chain only has the potential to diminish recorded information (the kind that defines the recorded acoustic and the relationships between the musicians in it). Adding a quieter power supply should make more of the DAC’s resolution more apparent. Just my take as a long term advocate of passive volume controls deployed appropriately (overall gain structure and impedance matching).
Thank you. Sure i will ask for a try.
So if the budget is tight for now adding X1 to imprure the dac’s resolıtion is a wise choice ? And then add L1

Thank you. Sure i will ask for a try.
So if the budget is tight for now adding X1 to imprure the dac’s resolıtion is a wise choice ? And then add L1
That would be my approach but hearing both options C1.2 + L1 or C1.2 + X1 with your M1.1 and SF speakers should tell you which is the better immediate investment. What interconnect (and length) are you using between the C1.2 and the M1.1 amps? Low capacitance is beneficial for longer runs and I like the science-based approach of Inakustik out of Germany.

That would be my approach but hearing both options C1.2 + L1 or C1.2 + X1 with your M1.1 and SF speakers should tell you which is the better immediate investment. What interconnect (and length) are you using between the C1.2 and the M1.1 amps? Low capacitance is beneficial for longer runs and I like the science-based approach of Inakustik out of Germany.
I use 1m Kubala Sosna Eleations. Speaker cables and power cords are all the same.

I use 1m Kubala Sosna Eleations. Speaker cables and power cords are all the same.
Certainly no weaknesses there. Well done.

Reactions: agencal
Really? I own these and while some may like them, they are colored.
Well cables are pretty simple things so any “sound”, coloured or otherwise, is primarily related to the source load and the driven load. No impedance matching issues in the OP’s system. Would I spend that much on cables? No, I am happy with van den Hul D102 mk3 hybrid interconnects. Inakustik low capacitance cables are about as exotic as I would ever contemplate, regardless of budget. Maybe I need to hand in my audiophile club membership card.

best

ahmed
Not sure where you are based but if you are able to try a Townshend Allegri Reference passive preamp then that may well give you the depth and detail you are after. Perhaps search for Martin Colloms reviews of the CH C1 DAC and other CHP components as they may be helpful. Martin is a highly respected and knowledgable reviewer. He wasn't a big fan of the preamp section in C1 DAC. Perhaps C1.2 is better and CHP can probably answer that question for you. Hope this helps. Happy shopping.

I don't have the CH L1 nor the CH C1.2.

However, I do have the CH X1 which I bought over a year after I had bought the CH P1.

I found the X1 made a great positive improvement to my listening experiences with the music now having a bigger and deeper sound stage with more clarity to the bass and treble textures especially for non electronic instruments with classical, jazz etc. music genres.

I am a dedicated headphone listener with my TOTL Hifiman EF1000 Amp and Susvara headphones which picked up the edition and benefits of the CH X1 to my system quite easily !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing