CH Precision L1 vs C1.2 Pre-Dac?

agencal

Apr 27, 2024
Istanbul
Hi all members.
I have a Sonus Faber iL Cremonese ex3me and driving it with CH M1.1 and a MSB Reference Dac-Pre. I came to CH becouse Gryphon’s power rating is a bit short for sonus faber and i felt CH is more relaxed,refined and detailed.After coming from Gryphon Essence pre power combo i am not happy with the soundstage depth and scale.Maybe it is the difference of class A to AB or lack of active pre amp. I am stream guy. I listen qobuz and tidal over roon.So i have two questions to ask .

1.My dealer offers to change the Msb dac with a C1.2 with stream card and tells me to use it as a pre amp. Then add a x1 powersupply.The snergy of beiang the same beand will be better than msb m1.1 combo. Sounds great but i read that most of the peple says dac’s pre will never be good as active pre amp like L1. I am on a budget now so is it better to go with L1 and add a relativly good dac from another brand or get the C1.2 and solve it in one box and add X1 with that budget.

2.Do you think CH’s 350w 4ohm is more powerfull than gryphons class A 100w 4ohm? Speakers slpecs tell to use amps betwreen 100 to 800w !!! Is M1.1 enough for this?

Thanks

2.Do you think CH’s 350w 4ohm is more powerfull than gryphons class A 100w 4ohm? Speakers slpecs tell to use amps betwreen 100 to 800w !!! Is M1.1 enough for this?
It’s not about the power it’s about sound characteristics of the amplifier. Both of them powerful enough. Go for the one you like. Discard 100 to 800watts recommendation.

After coming from Gryphon Essence pre power combo i am not happy with the soundstage depth and scale.Maybe it is the difference of class A to AB or lack of active pre amp.
It’s most probably due to the characteristic differences between Gryphon and CH.

1.My dealer offers to change the Msb dac with a C1.2 with stream card and tells me to use it as a pre amp. Then add a x1 powersupply.The snergy of beiang the same beand will be better than msb m1.1 combo. Sounds great but i read that most of the peple says dac’s pre will never be good as active pre amp like L1. I am on a budget now so is it better to go with L1 and add a relativly good dac from another brand or get the C1.2 and solve it in one box and add X1 with that budget.
I recommend you to hear both DACs in your home and settle on the DAC that will stop you skipping songs in 30 seconds and keep you listening whole album even when you haven’t planned. Eventually you’ll need a preamp. You can do it now or later and X1 improves both C1.2 and L1.

the L1 line stage is one of the best I've ever heard, and is exceptional when you add the X1, excelling especially in the wide soundstage it throws. Conversely I have yet to hear a system that engages me using CH digital. I would therefore strongly suggest getting an L1 and a DAC to suit budget.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing