Lamm LL1 Signature - how good?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fransisco, to make such a conclusion, did you compare the two preamps in exactly the same system, or was this general characteristic consistent across a variety of configurations?

Surely I compared. Do you imagine I could resist such experiment having both side by side? ;)
Also include the conrad johnson GAT2 in the experiment. Only the VTL 7.5 mk3 managed to escape from such test.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
When I first got my ML 2.1 I was using an Audio Research preamp. No magic there. Switched to Lamm preamp and will never use another preamp with my ML3. The LL1, ML3 and LP1 are all part of his Signature series. I've said many times here that these will be buried with me as I have no desires to try anything else.
No surprise there Steve, the ML2.1 needs to be fed more gain than the AR preamplifier has onboard. Same with the ML3 Signature …agreed, the LL1 Signature, either one, will be the appropriate fit.

vbw,
-a…dealer disclosure, I think :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thx Micro
Different question
How does the ar ref 10 compare to the ref 40?

Never compared them side by side in my system. However having listened to both in our distributor room in many long sessions I always got the feeling it had more detail and precision but not the spatial and explosive dynamics of the Anniversary (REF40). Or perhaps I was very sensitive to the outstanding performance of the REF40 when I introduced it in my system and once I got used to it created a bias towards this type of sound. :)

The REF40 and the REF10share the same PCBs and signal and power supply circuits - the main differences are the control system, wiring and the output capacitors - the REF10 does not use the four Teflon bottle size capacitors any more.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
The REF40 and the REF10share the same PCBs and signal and power supply circuits - the main differences are the control system, wiring and the output capacitors - the REF10 does not use the four Teflon bottle size capacitors any more.
Part of the difference in sound between the two is also due to the REF40s SED Winged "C" versus the Ref 10s Sovtek 6550WE power supply tubes.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Part of the difference in sound between the two is also due to the REF40s SED Winged "C" versus the Ref 10s Sovtek 6550WE power supply tubes.

Thanks for remembering - just ordered ten SED Winged "C' spares!

Reactions: Barry

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Yes, really. It sounds like you are having a tantrum and want attention. You came into a thread about a component that you do not own and have no experience with in order to make a snotty remark about the manufacturer. You already made your same complaint in two other threads - one in which I tried to help you there. Cop a chill dude - Elina gave you an explanation that the business is the middle of relocation, a hectic time - bad mouthing a reputable company is not a solution to your problem.

Last edited:

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Update: I went ahead and purchased an ARC ref 10 phono and 10 LS. Should be here in June. While I was tempted by Lamm, I didn’t want to be tempted to do a full system change before and after the LS component. That is not in the cards currently.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@rich121 don't be bullied here. It's perfectly fair to air legitimate grievances like yours, and you shouldn't feel the need to take them down. You've received good suggestions in terms of working through a dealer and there are a few available on the forum. Let us know how it all works out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing