Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
At Steve request I removed the price from my advertisement post - I was not aware that advertisements are forbidden in WBF threads, my apologies to everyone involved in the discussion. Please look for my ML3's elsewhere.

I will only report on general aspects of Lamm products in this thread. Still interested in learning about good top speakers that match them and new experiences with the ML3 - no one knows the future! :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
the L 3.1 was a design using a different topology due to the problem of not being able to find an adequate supply of 6N30P-DR tubes (emphasis on DR)

L3.1 ???

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wouldn't hesitate to use them on your M2!5's. I don't believe in the least that there is any requirement that speakers should cost more than electronics. Hell, DDK recommends some vintage speakers that cost less than $10k IIRC, but he'd still tell you the ML3 would be the best amp you could have with them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think Lamm ML3 are in the hi end amp group worth building a system around if you want a stable installation and aren't into changing speakers every two years or so. Speaker requirement would generally be high efficiency>93db or so, no inordinate current demands (some hi eff. speakers still seem to need current, even if they squawk loud with a watt), no excessive damping requirements, no excessive, complex impedance etc.

Maybe I'm not informed, but I would think more horn guys would be into them as end stage amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you s financial masochist Micro ?;)

As far as I know there is no L3.1 in the Lamm range of products - preamps are LL1 and probably Steve was addressing the LL1.1 - but I can be wrong.

I am a private consumer, not a dealer - I accept that experimenting gear can have a cost. It is why I only buy new boxed products if I am quite sure about them - the XLF's or the Vivaldi's , for example.
Most of all else come from part-exchanges of known distributors or serious people in WBF . ;)

the L 3.1 was a design using a different topology due to the problem of not being able to find an adequate supply of 6N30P-DR tubes (emphasis on DR)

Reactions: Lagonda

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Bought bunch of 6N30P-DR from Upscale years ago for a preamp that never materialized. Maybe I could sell to fund early retirement? :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
At Steve request I removed the price from my advertisement post - I was not aware that advertisements are forbidden in WBF threads, my apologies to everyone involved in the discussion. Please look for my ML3's elsewhere.

I will only report on general aspects of Lamm products in this thread. Still interested in learning about good top speakers that match them and new experiences with the ML3 - no one knows the future! :cool:

I don't understand this. I posted a price in an ad in the Classifieds section on WBF. Are you saying you can't post it in a regular thread? If so, why not just post an ad in the Classifieds section?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't understand this. I posted a price in an ad in the Classifieds section on WBF. Are you saying you can't post it in a regular thread? If so, why not just post an ad in the Classifieds section?

Plenty of people post advertisements of equipment for sale all the time in threads, including dealers and me :( in the past. But it seems it violates the TOS - I was not aware of it. Always learning.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That was my point.
we started a classifieds to take discussing prices and sales out of threads and placing them where they belong. ..... in the classified section

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
...actually ms is the second owner, I was the first. At the time, I was a Lamm dealer and purchased the ML3s for my personal use right after Steve bought his pair.

Mike...first a deposit to try them and writeup his thoughts. After his marketing scheme, he sent them to ms. I believe that Mike used the ms funds to pay the balance. So, technically, I would guess that ms is actually the second owner.

These are good machines; for example, Steve’s and David’s pairs are older than these amplifiers, they were successful early adopters. After all this time, their original ML3s are still fantastic performers, just ask them...IMHO they are correct.

FWIW jt, I understand, if you may have a problem with funds to make a low offer. However, if not a problem and you want the ML3s, the ask here is very good and more than a fair price...bring them back across the pond and enjoy them with your other Lammies. However, to maximize your enjoyment with these SET amplifiers, they pair best the the synergistic architecture and gain provided with the four box Lamm LL1 Signature preamplifier

Best,
-a

Thanks ALF, I missed your post at due time, a WBF member asked me now a question based on your post. Are you saying that these ML3's are of more recent manufacture than Steve ones?

BTW, if needed I will supply also a mint revised Lamm LL1 ...

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Thanks ALF, I missed your post at due time, a WBF member asked me now a question based on your post. Are you saying that these ML3's are of more recent manufacture than Steve ones?
Yes, you just need to compare your serial numbers to Steve’s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing