Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
you have to get your priorities right micro ;)

I have some solid anchors . The XLF and the DCS Vivaldi stack, now the Extreme. All else are accessories ... ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
220v? It's a beautiful piece of audio engineering!

david

100/120/220/240V . Currently at 240V. A very interesting sound, different from anything else I have tried.

The 1kohm input impedance is however a drawback for my tube preamplifiers - I have now ordered a matching transformer to solve the issue. Currently it is being driven directly by the Vivaldi, as suggested in the manual.

Reactions: ddk and Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
100/120/220/240V . Currently at 240V. A very interesting sound, different from anything else I have tried.

The 1kohm input impedance is however a drawback for my tube preamplifiers - I have now ordered a matching transformer to solve the issue. Currently it is being driven directly by the Vivaldi, as suggested in the manual.

Do tell.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Still not able to write about it. Sometimes I feel I am listening to a different mastering of the recording. Apparently more bringing them in than bringing us there - as soon as we pass the door we feel a physical presence when we enter the room with a recording playing. But I am listening without an adequate preamplifier.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Still not able to write about it. Sometimes I feel I am listening to a different mastering of the recording. Apparently more bringing them in than bringing us there - as soon as we pass the door we feel a physical presence when we enter the room with a recording playing. But I am listening without an adequate preamplifier.

I'm sure you'll figure out what it is eventually, and we'll be waiting!

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
The 1kohm input impedance is however a drawback for my tube preamplifiers - I have now ordered a matching transformer to solve the issue.

Curious what that matching transformer may be. Thanks to the input step up transformer the input impedance appears even lower, I think 600ohms. Raising this by adding another transformer will decrease the gain...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curious what that matching transformer may be. Thanks to the input step up transformer the input impedance appears even lower, I think 600ohms. Raising this by adding another transformer will decrease the gain...

I am just using the same transformer used in the input but backwards placed close to the preamplfier, driving the cables with 600 ohms output impedance. The LS10x is an impressive transformer. The amplifier has plenty of gain, the gain reduction is welcome.

Just to make the DIY people sorry - the total cost of the eight UTC signal transformers (input, inter stage, drive and output) was $288 in the 1962-63 UTC general catalog ... :oops:

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
The LS10x is an impressive transformer.

I know, there is a pair right next to me. Quite impressive as an MC step-up too, although i get more hum than expected.

In 1962 a Schedule 2 Garrard 301 was £17, so not that cheap.

Please do share some impressions of the T1. Very few current designs go to such outrageous extremes in the pursuit of purity.
Still, so many romantic sounding pieces of iron in a row may become too much of a good thing. Especially with the 300Bs also pushing in that same direction.

In short, i just cannot restrain myself from speculating :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As I did not manage to sell the Lamm ML3's, I can't keep the Marantz Project T1 - the T1's are now being offered at Audiomarkt at a price of euro 40k + shipping.

t1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: French Fred

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The VTL Siegfried II. Perhaps the more neutral of the lot. ;)

Reactions: Folsom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As he insists on tubes, Micro should get someone to build him an amp with one of the Eimac transmitter tubes

https://www.trafomaticaudio.com/tra...-power-amplifier-rewiev-part-one-mono-stereo/

I asked micro :oops:?

Its not about should or whats best in audio , its about what one prefers .

May be the name of the site should be changed to " audiopreference forum";).

The reason i asked his opinion on CAT is because its quite neutral i think.
I have not had much exposure to VTL LAMM myself i would love too

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked micro :oops:?

Its not about should or whats best in audio , its about what one prefers .

May be the name of the site should be changed to " audiopreference forum";).

The reason i asked his opinion on Cat is because its quite neutral i think.
I have not had much exposure to VTL LAMM myself i would love too

I was not referring to your post, I was just posting independent of that

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing