Lampizator Big7 MK2 Upgrade

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have a renewed interest in my DAC because I am using HQ Player's new EC modulators and they sound great. I built a new PC to run HQ Player so it can upsample to DSD256 without any issues.

This MK2 upgrade seems to be a good one.

One question:
Do you have to upgrade YOUR Big7 or can your trade your Big7 in for another Lampi DAC?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Maybe you just did not like the AudioNEC Speakers driven by Jadis amps :rolleyes:

Yeah I have said before that setup wasn't good enough.

AudioNec The Answer is a fabulous speaker and is the only AudioNec speaker I even vaguely like. Now if they had used that I might have been convinced. But I'll never know.

Post me your Pacific for a demo and Ked and I will check it out for you to make sure you aren't hearing things. Cos we both thought it sounded BAD.

If you love it then fine:);)

• Haha
Reactions: ingemar

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
One question:
Do you have to upgrade YOUR Big7 or can your trade your Big7 in for another Lampi DAC?
I'll just add on to your question - would it be a massive $ diff if you would ask to be upgraded to gg2 spec as it's anyhow same chassis (diff color)?

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

AudioNec The Answer is a fabulous speaker and is the only AudioNec speaker I even vaguely like. Now if they had used that I might have been convinced. But I'll never know.

Post me your Pacific for a demo and Ked and I will check it out for you to make sure you aren't hearing things. Cos we both thought it sounded BAD.
I'm interested how did you extrapolate that in the entire chain it was exactly Pacific that sounded bad?

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Earlier I also upsampled via HQPlayer to DSD as well but I came back to playing all native :)

You should revisit with the new EC modulators. They are that good.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Post me your Apogees, I haven't heard a proper pair of Duettas in my home ;):rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Just to clarify I did not like this system. I do not judge components from an entire chain at Munich or otherwise. Yes I am not impressed by the Pac yet but that is based on other compares of the Pac model in UK

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
One question:

The upgrade is 2000 Euros. That would be the best bang for the buck, no?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The upgrade is 2000 Euros. That would be the best bang for the buck, no?
So no trade-in possibility for your Big7? "Only" upgrade?
Then the 2k E53 upgrade is IMHO an excellent move :cool:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm interested how did you extrapolate that in the entire chain it was exactly Pacific that sounded bad?

I didn't. But it never bodes well when the sum of the whole sounds bad.

My argument is that if you are going to do Munich you either do it well or stay well clear. Otherwise you'll do more harm than good.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
My argument is that if you are going to do Munich you either do it well or stay well clear. Otherwise you'll do more harm than good.
Well TBH Pacific was sounding so bad at Munich I am not convinced by anything until I get to hear E53 or 57 at home.
Well you specifically stated twice that Pac is/was sounding bad so hence my question...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Not really. A lot of manufacturers sell due to shows irrespective of sound. All it needs is looks and price tags. And many from the trade are willing to buy dealership/distributorship for brands which are known and which they see at Munich.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you take your apogee and put at Munich in a big room at 150k, it will sell at 50

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Not really. A lot of manufacturers sell due to shows irrespective of sound. All it needs is looks and price tags. And many from the trade are willing to buy dealership/distributorship for brands which are known and which they see at Munich.

Do more harm than good to people with ears who do care I meant.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do more harm than good to people with ears who do care I meant.

Ears who do care and are anal in compares of bass, stage, this, that, real, fake, etc are not the market for most products. Such audiophiles are nightmares. Think if you wanted to sell 10 of your speakers in the next month. Do you prefer if someone makes you visit different places carrying your speakers and compare to his speakers, and probably realize the shortcomings, or do you prefer he visits you in one place, see what it looks like, and order straightaway?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Funny again.
That AudioNEC-Jadis-Lampi room was for me one of the big positive surprises at the last High End
Those very little buggers put on quite some Music :cool:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Funny again.
That AudioNEC-Jadis-Lampi room was for me one of the big positive surprises at the last High End
Those very little buggers put on quite some Music :cool:

If that's true for you beg, borrow or steal to hear AudioNec The Answer. Way better than their flagship I thought.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing