Lampizator Big7 MK2 Upgrade

iain

Jul 23, 2018
sounds good, but tbh I was hoping to hear that it was a significant upgrade, blew you away et etc!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
sounds good, but tbh I was hoping to hear that it was a significant upgrade, blew you away et etc!

It has only been 2 weeks so it is still breaking in. Either way, how believable would that comment have been if I said it? You should only trust your own ears.

Having said that all, I am thrilled that I got the upgrade and I am enjoying my digital music more than ever.

iain

Jul 23, 2018
Its believable if its true!

I went to listen to the B7, because of discussions on here and then bought it. I've been very impressed by the impact of KR242s, which I bought blind, after reading about them on here. They transformed my B7. I have also achieved significant upgrades with JPlay Femto! Win Server 2019 with AO, Fidelizer pro and Minority Clean.

But I am hoping to hear of a big jump for this upgrade to pique my interest.

Reactions: bonzo75

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The mkii is a worthwhile endeavor there are more than just digital boards updated. Newer psu are used , caps , led,s as well as wire routing. All in a sizable improvement. I had an gg2 with a 42 engine and r2r as well. It's tough to say better all are very good. They all sound as we roll tubes. The 57 has a bigger bolder sound. Tge gg2 more closer stage. It's why I have both models. Getting a vol control is a good idea and this gives you an analog input. You would be surprised how an extra line stage adds layers and power to the sound as well.

Reactions: iain

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Hi guys,
Im also considering this Dac, how is the sound of files played using red book , 16/44 files vs DSD files ?
I have mostly red-book files.

Thanks
Capri

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
You should revisit with the new EC modulators. They are that good.

I know that others have confirmed or stated their preference for the new EC modulators at DSD256 but I was surprised by how much more I like and enjoy the new EC modulators than my previous reference DSD512 settings. The new EC modulators are very complementary to the sound of my LampizatOr DSD DAC.

EscritorJuan

Jan 21, 2020
QUICK QUESTION: Do they simply drill holes in your Lite 7 DAC to accommodate the new rectifier tube or replace the whole cover when you send in your Lite 7 DAC to be upgraded to a Big 7 Mk2 DAC?

I shipped mine to the factory and am dying to know.

Cheers,

Juan

Attachments

• 33446_orig.jpg
    33446_orig.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 22

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
When a Big 7 mk2 came up for sale locally, I just had to give it a try. I borrowed an original Big 7 a long time back, but Lampizator has been busy offering upgrades. I am having so much FUN with the mk2. The E53 engine is just incredible! I have only had it a week and can't leave it alone. I put Shun Mook feet under it, nice improvement. Grounded it to an Entreq grounding station for a different sound. I just put the new Audio Magic Super fuse in, WOW. But this dac is so perfect in my system, it doesn't need anything. I may never get to tube rolling. This dac is getting along so nice with my other equipment. I'm thrilled I bought it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When a Big 7 mk2 came up for sale locally, I just had to give it a try. I borrowed an original Big 7 a long time back, but Lampizator has been busy offering upgrades. I am having so much FUN with the mk2. The E53 engine is just incredible! I have only had it a week and can't leave it alone. I put Shun Mook feet under it, nice improvement. Grounded it to an Entreq grounding station for a different sound. I just put the new Audio Magic Super fuse in, WOW. But this dac is so perfect in my system, it doesn't need anything. I may never get to tube rolling. This dac is getting along so nice with my other equipment. I'm thrilled I bought it.

Just to clarify, this guy with shun Mook under Lampi is not me in another guise :D

Reactions: iain and christoph

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
If that isn't enough, mine is on it's way to Poland to get the new usb module. It's supposed to be a very nice upgrade.

Reactions: cpcat

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
If that isn't enough, mine is on it's way to Poland to get the new usb module. It's supposed to be a very nice upgrade.
I’m assuming that means the JL Sound usb module? I believe new production units come standard with this. I guess I should confirm with LampiNA as I have a new B7 MKII on order.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If new unit should be with JL as this is standard now - but always better to double check;)

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
FYI confirmed through Rob at LampiNA- the JLsounds USB module is standard now.

Hope to have the Big7 MK2 soon!

Reactions: christoph and Golum

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
The new jl Audio usb modules were a VERY nice upgrade in my big mk2. It’s almost like this dac should have a new name. I’m very happy with mine!

Reactions: iain

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
It’s here
Just set it up and briefly listened some tonight.
it will be a fun weekend! 189D82DD-8E93-4235-B41A-94D63C6A2354.jpeg 79F215A2-3863-49CC-A122-9109897D41F7.jpeg 25D3C1C9-8B74-44FB-B2C4-E766F9A2D816.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I’m definitely loving this thing (B7MK2) but I’ll tell you it’s been a lot of work getting things dialed in and I’m not finished yet. I discovered ground loop hum I didn’t know I had and the culprit was my USB from my PC/server. This PC apparently has dirty power/poor grounding that was not evident with my prior setup using a usb/spdif converter. An older laptop I have works fine via USB and quiet as a mouse even using single ended out.

More to come.

Reactions: christoph

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
USB ground loop issue solved. I used the Uptone Audio ISO Regen placed right at the input to the DAC, powered with a 9V PS (Teddy Pardo) that I had on hand. No more hum via USB:). In fact, I also use the B7 as my main preamp and integrate my 5ch HT fronts via analog input on the B7. Setting the VC to approximate unity gain (depends on tube type and whether SE or bal), and without signal playing, it is totally quiet from my listening position. Pretty impressive performance IMO!

Anyway, sounding spectacular and now for some continued tube rolling fun. I have posted some impressions/pics in the tube rolling thread as well.

My only small critique at this point is that I would like to have capability for discrete remote input selection. It’s not that big of a deal to scroll up/down but seems it should be easy to add this. I have a somewhat antiquated universal learning remote, but I’m told at this point there’s no way to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing