Last Tango In Halifax

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
We just started watching this on Netflix. It is a British comedy-drama. It is very well done with realistic story lines and characters. Being an American I am really enjoying learning many new (to me) British slang phrases and words. I never knew “pissed” meant “drunk.”

Highly recommended.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
My wife’s obsession with BBC programming has me up to speed on British vernacular. Check out BritBox for streaming. Will have to mention this one to her. Does it need subtitles to make out the dialect?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My wife’s obsession with BBC programming has me up to speed on British vernacular. Check out BritBox for streaming. Will have to mention this one to her. Does it need subtitles to make out the dialect?

Not at all. These dialogue is very clear. We miss stuff here and there but nothing that a rewind doesn’t correct.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
That’s good. One of the Scottish productions she watches is a murder mystery type. I find it hilarious trying to make out the dialogue. As a “Northerner” I have a similar problem going to the Deep South here in the US.

I’ve taken a liking to the production aesthetic of these shows. Not Hollywood, and that’s a good thing.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My wife and I have been watching this for a couple of years. We first picked up on it as it has two of our favorite British Actors who we have enjoyed in other series. Sarah Lancashire and Nicola Walker play off each other so well and Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid are a hoot.

So much good stuff from the UK on PBS.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
If you guys like British dramas, then try look out for Luther as that is one of the more gripping series recently produced.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Luther is very dark, somewhat antithetical to Last Tango in Halifax. Thanks for the suggestion David!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The other “foreign” series that we have been watching that is even better than ‘Halifax” is ‘Offspring.’ While at times it can get silly (not that that is a bad thing), it handles serious topics extremely well. This is an award-winning series set in Australia.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Loved the series 'Last Tango in Halifax'. After a three year hiatus two abbreviated seasons were recently aired on PBS. There are rumors perhaps of another season ?? Covid may have put a damper on that though.

Another excellent British series(drama) was 'Hinterland', while rather dark I thought it was quite good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing