Lenbrook Acquires MQA!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I have a lot of musician friends in the industry. Getting screwed by streaming is a common topic of conversation. Most would prefer that you pay for the download. These guys are not all obscure artists. I’ve been told in some instances that a song was streamed well into six figures of play, producing revenues which after division among those entitled to a share would barely buy dinner at a good steakhouse (Stoney River, Bob’s, Jimmy Kelly’s etc) in Nash Vegas.
I also have a few musicians friends. Even a family member. They have been getting screwed by music companies since the beginning.

Reactions: PYP and christoph

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I don't believe the math is right here on the streaming. Several label folks have told me physical sales are an order of magnitude better for the artist.
Sorry but it's a simple match exercise. I'm not saying everyone is making money from streaming but the idea that buying a LP, CD translates to more money for the artist isn't all true. It all comes down to how many people buy physical media vs streaming. If an artist wants to make "real" money they need to tour.

Reactions: PYP and christoph

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Sorry but it's a simple match exercise. I'm not saying everyone is making money from streaming but the idea that buying a LP, CD translates to more money for the artist isn't all true. It all comes down to how many people buy physical media vs streaming. If an artist wants to make "real" money they need to tour.
It is true about touring. Merch can be a decent revenue stream. A lot of less prominent artists are also using bandcamp to get a decent return, especially if they own both their performance and the rights to the composition.

A lot of folks are using streaming for the exposure, but they hope you will buy rather than just stream.

Reactions: Lee

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Why do you believe this? Wouldn't an artist make more money if people keep streaming their music vs a 1 time purchase.
Are you getting checks so that in your case streaming is solid?

Obviously, people believe based on their own experiences.

Do you realize that 99% of the talented musicians who try to live on their music revenues would not even be at 50% of the official poverty level if their music were their only source of income?

I’m not going to tell a group of friends who believe this based on their own income streams that they’re delusional. They’re not.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
People won't stream if it sounds bad. I was chatting with a classical guitarist on YouTube the other day and informed him IMO his YouTube content, simply recorded, sounded much better than his Tidal content, recorded with typical mix/mastering complexity. He didn't seem bothered.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Are you getting checks so that in your case streaming is solid?

Obviously, people believe based on their own experiences.

Do you realize that 99% of the talented musicians who try to live on their music revenues would not even be at 50% of the official poverty level if their music were their only source of income?

I’m not going to tell a group of friends who believe this based on their own income streams that they’re delusional. They’re not.
I simply ask why you believe what you wrote in post #163.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Which streaming service do you subscribe to?
I don't subscribe to any service. I've ripped my CD's and once in a while some hi-rez downloads to a 2TB SSD which becomes my source via a USB cable. Never really had much desire to stream.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
This article says that on average streaming gets the artist $.003 per stream. That is consistent with what my friends tell me.

For the talented but not super star average musician, 100,000 streams becomes $300. They can make that much by selling 150 or fewer silver disks, and more if they do a vinyl run. I’ve been told Qobuz is better for compensating the artist than most. Still not great though. The best thing about streaming for the artist is the exposure.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
This article says that on average streaming gets the artist $.003 per stream. That is consistent with what my friends tell me.

For the talented but not super star average musician, 100,000 streams becomes $300. They can make that much by selling 150 or fewer silver disks, and more if they do a vinyl run. I’ve been told Qobuz is better for compensating the artist than most. Still not great though. The best thing about streaming for the artist is the exposure.

Showcasing stuff on YouTube and releasing albums on Bandcamp seems the smarter move.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

My advice would be for you to tell your friends to use a different streaming service. Each service pays a different amount. Here are a couple of sites that allows you to put in the number of streams and see what each pays.

Even with different services it is a number's game. If an artist gets 100,000 streams, how many albums do you think they are selling?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
My advice would be for you to tell your friends to use a different streaming service. Each service pays a different amount. Here are a couple of sites that allows you to put in the number of streams and see what each pays.

Even with different services it is a number's game. If an artist gets 100,000 streams, how many albums do you think they are selling?
Why don’t you offer a seminar on how to maximize streaming income?

it sounds like you’ve got it all figured out. You could do it in Nashville and fill your seats. People will be thrilled to know that all is ok and that streaming has impacted their income positively. Pay no attention to those small checks. You could offer it in Atlanta too and pick up Lee’s friends. Everyone will be thrilled!

Go for it!

Reactions: Lee and Al M.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Why don’t you offer a seminar on how to maximize streaming income?

it sounds like you’ve got it all figured out. You could do it in Nashville and fill your seats. People will be thrilled to know that all is ok and that streaming has impacted their income positively. Pay no attention to those small checks. You could offer it in Atlanta too and pick up Lee’s friends. Everyone will be thrilled!

Go for it!
I doubt people would pay for me to give them a free link. Really it is just simple math.

"# of streams" x "price paid per stream" = $$

Sorry you have an issue with me stating facts. No harm meant on my end. Like most people I believe the artist are getting taken by the music industry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing