Level Four

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have been in this Industry for a very long time. I remember when I got started that I was told that you need to have the best source you can afford. IN those days it was a turntable as that was the way most music was sold. ( I know there were R2R with little prerecorded software) I certainly remember the Linn guys answering every question about building a system with you need to buy an LP12.
Well here I am 50 years or so later and I am now at Wadax Level Four. Level Four is the DAC/Server/Server reference power supply/ Akasa Reference DC cables. I am also using a QBase Reference from Nordost to plug all of them into with a Qcore 1 grounding box and a 20 amp Gobel Power cord into the wall.
The result is well something IMO that should be experienced. Its not that the Akasa cables "blow you away" or some other audiophile term its that it completes the system.It is the final push over the edge, it is the last function of more, it is the final part to complete the puzzle.
The system now is almost 3D. There is more of all you want with less of what you don't if that makes sense. Its a foot tappin smile inducing experience and it does that so effortlessly on the gear and on the user. Its so easy to just get lost in the music and for those of us , like me, who love not having to get out of my chair , its just what I always wanted and hoped for.
When I listen to You can do it baby from the album Nuyorican Soul which features the guitar playing of George Benson, his guitar and playing are just in the room. When i go to E.S.T. Live in London you can "see them" and just feel that you are sitting in that audience. The ability of the source to get it all , to get it right, to make you just forget and close your eyes and get lost is amazing.

I know there are 'haters" and drive buy listeners but this is not something that can be appreciated in that way. Its like saying you don't like a porsche since you drove it around a mall parking lot. These things must be experienced to be appreciated and in this case the experience wont be something that many will have , sadly.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
So the entire experiment with all the pieces is , I think, fully settled in and has become WHOLE. I have never heard anything in my room that has approached this result.
I have been playing a lot of live music today. Steve Gadd Live at the Blue Note Tokyo and the feeling that you are in that space is palpable. Steve Gadd's albums are really well done and this one has the feeling of being in a small jazz club and being part of the audience while these musicians show their talent and their craft in a really enjoyable and easy listening type of groove. I am constantly trying to work less and listen more.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
So the entire experiment with all the pieces is , I think, fully settled in and has become WHOLE. I have never heard anything in my room that has approached this result.
I have been playing a lot of live music today. Steve Gadd Live at the Blue Note Tokyo and the feeling that you are in that space is palpable. Steve Gadd's albums are really well done and this one has the feeling of being in a small jazz club and being part of the audience while these musicians show their talent and their craft in a really enjoyable and easy listening type of groove. I am constantly trying to work less and listen more.
Elliot you must tell me the secret of working less and listening more:)
Congratulations on reaching this level of performance. It's great to feel your passion for music and knowing the gear becomes secondary to the experience of listening. I know it has taken you a lot of time, effort and applying your years of experience to arrive there. Onward!

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have been in this Industry for a very long time. I remember when I got started that I was told that you need to have the best source you can afford. IN those days it was a turntable as that was the way most music was sold. ( I know there were R2R with little prerecorded software) I certainly remember the Linn guys answering every question about building a system with you need to buy an LP12.

Congrats on your getting to this level of satisfaction. Do you feel it equals the vest vinyl replay you have heard?

I remember a mag in the UK in the early nineties that gave the same answer to EVERY readers question - buy a LInn.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Congrats on your getting to this level of satisfaction. Do you feel it equals the vest vinyl replay you have heard?

I remember a mag in the UK in the early nineties that gave the same answer to EVERY readers question - buy a LInn.
I was a Lynn dealer back in the days and that was their slogan and marching orders for sure.
I may be a heretic but I don't think in those terms. I am so over the analog vs. digital conversation for many reasons which have been discussed to death here, there and everywhere. I personally don't see nor require multiple formats to enjoy music. I think the constant comparisions take one away from the reason I own an audio system. Having said that I invested in a serious digital playback system that for me is incredibly good and is so easy and convenient to use. I want to listen to more music, not less. I want to find more music , not less. I want to enjoy my limited time not less.
Maybe and I say this with a serious tone, maybe the best turntable with the best cartidge and the best phone stage and the best tone arm can provide something that my source doesn't? Maybe? however the downsides IMO far outweigh the upside. I can say that just any analog source can't touch this PERIOD. ( doing my best MC Hammer LOL)
I don't have a record collection, a record cleaning machine, a stylus cleaner, a professional set up person etc. etc. and then every few minutes to go through the religous process of finding, removing, cleaning , placing, then turntable weighting, start up, arm placement just to do that again every few minutes.
What i have gives me access to the whole world of recorded music ( plus or minus) in various formats which I can then listen to and save and enjoy or just move on in an instant. I have found hundreds of musical pieces that I did not have or know about and NEVER would if I was playing the same records over and over.
Back to the subject at hand I seriously doubt that there is or are many analog sources that are at this level and if there are congratulations to those who want to go through the process to enjoy them.
Wadax has created IMO a new catagory in playback capability and for me its what I want .
I hope that I have answered your queston :)

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I was a Lynn dealer back in the days and that was their slogan and marching orders for sure.
I may be a heretic but I don't think in those terms. I am so over the analog vs. digital conversation for many reasons which have been discussed to death here, there and everywhere. I personally don't see nor require multiple formats to enjoy music. I think the constant comparisions take one away from the reason I own an audio system. Having said that I invested in a serious digital playback system that for me is incredibly good and is so easy and convenient to use. I want to listen to more music, not less. I want to find more music , not less. I want to enjoy my limited time not less.
Maybe and I say this with a serious tone, maybe the best turntable with the best cartidge and the best phone stage and the best tone arm can provide something that my source doesn't? Maybe? however the downsides IMO far outweigh the upside. I can say that just any analog source can't touch this PERIOD. ( doing my best MC Hammer LOL)
I don't have a record collection, a record cleaning machine, a stylus cleaner, a professional set up person etc. etc. and then every few minutes to go through the religous process of finding, removing, cleaning , placing, then turntable weighting, start up, arm placement just to do that again every few minutes.
What i have gives me access to the whole world of recorded music ( plus or minus) in various formats which I can then listen to and save and enjoy or just move on in an instant. I have found hundreds of musical pieces that I did not have or know about and NEVER would if I was playing the same records over and over.
Back to the subject at hand I seriously doubt that there is or are many analog sources that are at this level and if there are congratulations to those who want to go through the process to enjoy them.
Wadax has created IMO a new catagory in playback capability and for me its what I want .
I hope that I have answered your queston :)
Hi Elliot,

I also don't get involved in the format wars. I was just curious from your considerable experience and exposure.

For disclosure, I am a single source exponent, playing the earliest Compact Discs on a TDA1541 based NOS cd player. This satisfies me and my friends who all have vinyl setups. I enjoy listening to my friends vinyl and they enjoy listening to my CDs. What blows my friends minds is how much better those first CDs are compared to later ones - something that goes against common opinion/knowledge.

Reactions: christoph

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi Elliot,

I also don't get involved in the format wars. I was just curious from your considerable experience and exposure.

For disclosure, I am a single source exponent, playing the earliest Compact Discs on a TDA1541 based NOS cd player. This satisfies me and my friends who all have vinyl setups. I enjoy listening to my friends vinyl and they enjoy listening to my CDs. What blows my friends minds is how much better those first CDs are compared to later ones - something that goes against common opinion/knowledge.
I love Redbook CDs and we meaning my friends and I find a lot of them really excellent. I believe many of the later ones are not recorded well and have way too many "gadgets and tricks" done to the recordings which may sound good on a walkman or a car stereo but are far from HiFi.
There are many audio people that want to hold on to old narratives for whatever reasons andI am not one.
Tube vs SS
Analog vs digital etc. These are old issues and they IMO don't hold water today especially at the cutting edge of the art.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glide3

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
So today one of my oldest and best clients was in town and he came to listen to what I have done in the last couple of weeks. He has heard the system many times and in fact he owns Noblesse with Sovereigns but he uses a high end turntable and a a full blown CH system with a P1/X1 phono which is to be soon upgraded.
He is not a digital guy per se but he is a good listener and I wanted to hear what the Bending wave is cooking.
Playlist for today was
Way Back Home Steve Gadd - live at Voce
Patterns- Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley Sage..
Annie- Willie Nelson Teatro
Singing Winds Crying Beasts - Santan Abraxus
Baba O Reilly - The Who- Who'sNext
Sparks- The Who - Tommy
Let Love Rule - Lenny Kravitz

He likes Rock n Roll especiall y some classic stuff which I like as well.
The result was I needed a clean up crew after I melted him.
He was talking about trashing his Table and Record collection and asking the prices on the Wadax system.
This has never happened with him before or ever.

It was so much fun!

Reactions: WADAX and mxk116

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
So today one of my oldest and best clients was in town and he came to listen to what I have done in the last couple of weeks. He has heard the system many times and in fact he owns Noblesse with Sovereigns but he uses a high end turntable and a a full blown CH system with a P1/X1 phono which is to be soon upgraded.
He is not a digital guy per se but he is a good listener and I wanted to hear what the Bending wave is cooking.
Playlist for today was
Way Back Home Steve Gadd - live at Voce
Patterns- Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley Sage..
Annie- Willie Nelson Teatro
Singing Winds Crying Beasts - Santan Abraxus
Baba O Reilly - The Who- Who'sNext
Sparks- The Who - Tommy
Let Love Rule - Lenny Kravitz

He likes Rock n Roll especiall y some classic stuff which I like as well.
The result was I needed a clean up crew after I melted him.
He was talking about trashing his Table and Record collection and asking the prices on the Wadax system.
This has never happened with him before or ever.

It was so much fun!
Another great list! Especially enjoyed the Willie Nelson cut.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Another great list! Especially enjoyed the Willie Nelson cut.
Teatro is a great album and a lot of Willie's stuff is excellent and recorded well too.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yesterday Jay from Jay’s Audio Lab was in my Lab lol
you can see his reaction with some shorts he posted today and there wil be a full video coming
I did play my system with and without the Akasa DC power cables on the reference Dac

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Its truly difficult to wrap your head around the difference one can hear when just changing 45 inches of wire that runs from the power supplies to the DAC. I have read the information available on how the wire is different, no copper at all, a gold and silver alloy pure to 6-7 '9s pure, a cable that is cast not extruded, super cool looking extra large and heavy connectors but after all that I lack the scientific background to truly get i t.
I can hear it clear as day.Everyone that has been here has heard it and once heard it can't be unheard but I am clueless how to explain it.
Sorry to say this but there are no others that do what this does at this time. I listened to the contenders, almost all of them but they dont do this. Thats is not to say they are bad they just aren't this.

What it does is crazy just crazy to me. The change from what was already outstanding to level 4 has to be experienced. The new "level" just makes it all come together in a way that i really wasn't prepared for. There is a seamless environment and a you are there feeling that I have never experienced in any system.

I fear too few will get the opportunity and I doubt this can be effectively shown in a show environment with at best an average set up in a mediocre room however we will try at Axpona. Iam willing to go down with the guns ablaze then to not try at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: WADAX

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My Porsche dealer gets mad when people just do the test drive around the parking lot too.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My Porsche dealer gets mad when people just do the test drive around the parking lot too.
My Porsche dealer is pretty cool and they let me drive a lot of cars. My partner and I aeven bought some LOL

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Elliot,

Monday I heard the best digital I have yet to hear in your Goebel.Riviera/Wadax showroom using your Wadax level 4 front end. How much of a difference would you say the insanely expensive (but also insanely good) Akasa Reference DC Cable makes? This much I know, when we insert a WestminsterLab/for MSB DC cable into a Reference or Select DAC you cannot unhear it! Since I have only heard the Wadax System "Level 4" at your place I must defer to you.

Thanks!

PS You will come back to vinyl one of these days won't you:)

Reactions: WADAX

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot,

Monday I heard the best digital I have yet to hear in your Goebel.Riviera/Wadax showroom using your Wadax level 4 front end. How much of a difference would you say the insanely expensive (but also insanely good) Akasa Reference DC Cable makes? This much I know, when we insert a WestminsterLab/for MSB DC cable into a Reference or Select DAC you cannot unhear it! Since I have only heard the Wadax System "Level 4" at your place I must defer to you.

Thanks!

it was significant and it is the cherry on the top of the banana split, it was the 30 foot down hill putt that went in for birdie.
Those cables just make the environment that the music lives in be in my room.
Vinyl? maybe if I need some siding for my house LOL

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I have twisted Elliot's arm so much to get back to analog that my arm got tired.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have twisted Elliot's arm so much to get back to analog that my arm got tired.
You need to come hear what Level 4 digital Wadax does and leave the preconceived analog dreams outside the door LMAO

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Ron, I saw you were traveling to Seattle to listen to someones system, maybe its time you came here. I know you like my speakers so it sould be good for you to understand what Level 4 is all about. I am going to try to do this at Axpona but I have serious doubts that I can get this level of sound in a hotel room in a few hours.
We will attempt the feat but we may crash and burn LOL This is akin to audio jumping the snake river on a motorcycle :)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Elliot, with your ninja team you will do it!

That said, you should hear it in Elliot's listening room since I know the members would love to know your thoughts, especially from a die-hard panelman:)

Reactions: Elliot G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing