LFD Cables (phono and I.C.) from the UK, cables as components

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Does it require a burn-in?

from new it does take considerable time for break-in. and neither of my LFD phono cables are yet fully run in.

Mik used this cable in his own system. don't know exactly for how many hours. it had to wake/warm up from the 8000 mile travel. the first couple of hours it seemed to open up and since then a slight continual up-tick still going on.

my other LFD phono only had 5 or so hours on it when i got it. so it was not as run-in as this newer one. and it's still burning in to some degree.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
the Upper Midwest
from new it does take considerable time for break-in. and neither of my LFD phono cables are yet fully run in.

I've often heard that the micovolt signal of LOMC - for example the 0.3mV of your Etsuro Gold - can never fully burn-in a phono cable. I don't claim to understand the burn-in process but have experienced the small positive result of doing so to the new Kondo wire in my 4Point and other wires. What are your thoughts on this wrt to your LFD phono cable?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I've often heard that the micovolt signal of LOMC - for example the 0.3mV of your Etsuro Gold - can never fully burn-in a phono cable. I don't claim to understand the burn-in process but have experienced the small positive result of doing so to the new Kondo wire in my 4Point and other wires. What are your thoughts on this wrt to your LFD phono cable?

i own a phono cable specific break-in do-dad (which i might have lent out at some point.....have not looked for it), as well as an Audiodharma Cable Cooker which can be used for phono cable break-in.

but really; these cables, even though they are still breaking in, just sound so good that i'm just riding along enjoying the process. i guess i'm just not enough of a scientist right now to do that. and Mik did not mention that i should. for a regular interconnect, or speaker cable, or power cord, in the past i have used the Audiodharma mostly. but it's been years since i added a cable.

you've got me thinking about this; maybe i will get off my arse and do it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Do they make the LFD cables with rca connecters at both ends? I would use them from my STU to the EMIA phono and then phono to my preamp. Would this make a difference? My tonearm wire is direct from head shell to the other end terminated rca's.

DetroitVinylRob

Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
i own a phono cable specific break-in do-dad (which i might have lent out at some point.....have not looked for it), as well as an Audiodharma Cable Cooker which can be used for phono cable break-in.

but really; these cables, even though they are still breaking in, just sound so good that i'm just riding along enjoying the process. i guess i'm just not enough of a scientist right now to do that. and Mik did not mention that i should. for a regular interconnect, or speaker cable, or power cord, in the past i have used the Audiodharma mostly. but it's been years since i added a cable.
Mike, Wonderful to follow you in your analogue journey. I’m a big fan of giving a power cord or even a phono cable/tonearm cable some burn-in with the Audiodharma. I have the tonearm do-dad as well and feel it was money well spent. Have employed it on my SME V with silver Kondo wire and the Reed P3-12 with its single run lead. Though checking that with the manufacturer wouldn’t be a bad idea as some believe it can go too far. It has taken significant wear and tear out of cutting to the chase when reliable folks start quoting hundreds of hours to final settling in.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
Do they make the LFD cables with rca connecters at both ends? I would use them from my STU to the EMIA phono and then phono to my preamp. Would this make a difference? My tonearm wire is direct from head shell to the other end terminated rca's.
Yes Jeffy they do
I have the diamond viper running from my reed tonearm to phono stage , great cable .
Im in the Uk sourced all my LFD cables from Peter Downs at Alternative Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Gardener, Peter is my go-to guy as well (alas, not LFD, but my amps, cart and bespoke LPS to latter).

Reactions: Gardener

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
the Upper Midwest
but really; these cables, even though they are still breaking in, just sound so good that i'm just riding along enjoying the process.

I can appreciate that. If you play the 'table with the LFD often enough - and it sounds like you are - it can be fun to notice small incremental changes. The other side of the coin, maybe not your situation, is why use a great cartridge to break-in a cable? Given your commentary on the LFD thus far, maybe it just doesn't warrant concern.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Redland, Oregon
www.purewatersystems.com
In my case Tim, the LFD is just so much better than what I had before I am happy to deal with the (less and less frequent) bouts of harshness. There are occasional moments of glare, usually on brass, and as I notice often associated with recordings already a little “tipped up” as it were. I don’t remember the LP, but it was a MOFI “gain2” (silver label) that made me cringe the other night, but then a night later I played the MOFI Ricky Lee Jones debut LP (45rpm double LP box set) and both my wife and I smiled as we heard the album again for the first time. Where the Etsuro and CS Port work together, I believe it is the tether, the LFD cable, that allows the two to deliver the magic.

I don’t expect every listening session to be perfect, so I can easily live with these components running in together. That there are continual improvements is a bonus and it is great fun to notice them as they come along, even if there remain the rare instance of harshness.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing