Live vs. Reproduced?

Come on Frank...admit this is not the best analogy!
Awww, gee! I thought it was close to my best!!

Okay, you reckon 2). What if you now got up from the seat and went across to one of the holes, put your head directly in front of it, so you could see the trumpeter and the pianist. What would it sound like now, an even more gummed up stereo system?

Clue: think walls: typically have doors and ...

Frank

Now Frank, you did not explain yourself before you got me up and walking to your porthole...

I don't think grasshopper is learning your lesson master...

Tom
Jiminy Cricket!! I guess Walt didn't think of that one, .... whoops, mixed metaphors ...:)

To answer the first question: what I am attempting to point out is that if you listen to live sound through a window, it doesn't stop sounding like the real thing! No, it won't sound exactly like how it does in the room, but a person would have an extremely difficult time convincing you that all you were listening to was a normal quality hifi system on the other side of the window, and not live music. At no stage did I say the window was closed or had glass placed over it ...

I know, it's been said before, eons ago in fact, that speakers should be windows onto the music. I am suggesting here is no intrinsic reason why they should fail to do that, apart from the fact that too much distortion is added during the proces.

The thought experiment here I would have guessed someone at some stage has tried in reality. Or perhaps not? Anyone know?

Frank

Additionally, I will say again that I doubt one in a hundred on this forum heard a live, unamplified, jazz event last year...do any even exist anywhere?

If I heard more than one, do I make up for a couple of others who did not? :D

Last month - Tamir Hendelman Trio. I got there during sound check before they turned on the PAs. Even the bassist had his amp off.

SOKA1..jpg

Then, I heard the recording - 5-channel mono direct off the Tascam.

We seem to agree, though many here do not, and what they hope for, beyond hope, is to recreate the original performance event in their listening rooms, to make it sound as if those instruments are playing in their homes. I have accepted that there is at least on limitation that cannot be breached (there are many more that have not been breached), that it will always be choices and compromises, and have taken it from there. As I said to Gary not long ago, I try to reproduce the recording, not re-create the performance, because I've decided not to chase phantoms when what's in front of me is so beautiful. If that's anti-audiophile I'm happy to accept the title.

Tim

I don't believe that any loudspeaker is capable of reproducing EVERY live sound event. However, I do love my own illusion inside my own head that I have "managed" to "bring an event back to live" in reproducing PART of the recording. I still have complete faith that there are some recordings that are so close to the live performance that our systems are still incapable of reproducing that recording with absolute fidelity. On the other hand, I also believe that some live performances cannot be fully captured by a recording.

A couple of years ago, I did a demo in the Genesis factory with the huge monstrosity that is my flagship loudspeaker. One audiophile in the audience asked me if I thought that it was 98% or 99.9% of "live". I think that everybody there was quite shocked when I said that we are no more than 75% of "live", and that every 1% from there would be hard fought.

Nevertheless, when we have something in front of us that is so beautiful that it takes our breath away, that induces us to bop along, bring tears to our eyes, and raise the hair on our arms, why are we demeaning that by saying that it is not "live"? That does not mean that I am not battling every day to get to that additional 1% or even half%. And, if that 1% costs another $100 or $100,000 you will find a willing buyer with their eyes wide open willing to open their wallet.

Jiminy Cricket!! I guess Walt didn't think of that one, .... whoops, mixed metaphors ...:)

To answer the first question: what I am attempting to point out is that if you listen to live sound through a window, it doesn't stop sounding like the real thing! No, it won't sound exactly like how it does in the room, but a person would have an extremely difficult time convincing you that all you were listening to was a normal quality hifi system on the other side of the window, and not live music. At no stage did I say the window was closed or had glass placed over it ...

I know, it's been said before, eons ago in fact, that speakers should be windows onto the music. I am suggesting here is no intrinsic reason why they should fail to do that, apart from the fact that too much distortion is added during the proces.

The thought experiment here I would have guessed someone at some stage has tried in reality. Or perhaps not? Anyone know?

Frank
Yes, Frank, if you remove all of the distortions from a recording and playback system (an utterly theoretical notion), the resulting reproduction will, of course, sound more like the instruments and voices contained therein, even if you listen to them through a hole in the wall. It still won't sound like the instruments are in your room, because this, of course, has nothing to do with reproducing the natural dispersion, imaging and presence of the instruments, which is what we were talking about, but I think we can agree that reducing distortion is a good thing. Not everything, but a good thing.

Tim

I don't believe that any loudspeaker is capable of reproducing EVERY live sound event. However, I do love my own illusion inside my own head that I have "managed" to "bring an event back to live" in reproducing PART of the recording.

Agreed. Suspension of disbelief is probably the most important component in our systems, and I'm pretty good at it, especially when it comes to good live recordings. Then there are the other recordings, the majority in my collection; studio recordings, close-mic'd with elements carefully isolated, precisely mixed, ambiance added after the fact. I enjoy them as much, sometimes more. I just finished listening to Lucinda William's "Lonely Girls," from her "Essence" album. Now, if I go see Lucinda live, as exciting as it may be, I'll listen from many feet away, through a PA system. Sonically, I think there's a pretty good argument that the recording, through my little monitors, with all their limitations, is better. It's certainly different. Close mic'ing can create a vocal intimacy that isn't present, even when listening to the singer un-amplified in a small room. A really quiet recording and system can create a quiet in the background that is, at least, very rare in live performances, even the smallest most intimate venues (though the furnace just kicked in down the hall, so until I close the door...). Good mixing can create imaging, side to side and front to back that cannot exist in a live performance; it can bring a small acoustic guitar forward of a powerful singer's voice. It can place elements horizontally, with almost visual precision. This does not exist in nature. So what disbelief do I suspend when I close my eyes and listen to "Lonely Girls?" I know too much to imagine it sounds like a live performance. Perhaps I'm imagining in the sub-60hz information until I get that sub. :)

I can't say I can spend much time thinking about any of that when Lucinda is singing.

Tim

Nevertheless, when we have something in front of us that is so beautiful that it takes our breath away, that induces us to bop along, bring tears to our eyes, and raise the hair on our arms, why are we demeaning that by saying that it is not "live"? That does not mean that I am not battling every day to get to that additional 1% or even half%. And, if that 1% costs another $100 or $100,000 you will find a willing buyer with their eyes wide open willing to open their wallet.

Reproduced music can move us just as looking at an exquisite painting can. While we may lust for seeing the "real" subject of the painting, we can certainly enjoy the "artifact" that is the reproduction.

Lee

Yes, Frank, if you remove all of the distortions from a recording and playback system (an utterly theoretical notion), the resulting reproduction will, of course, sound more like the instruments and voices contained therein, even if you listen to them through a hole in the wall. It still won't sound like the instruments are in your room, because this, of course, has nothing to do with reproducing the natural dispersion, imaging and presence of the instruments, which is what we were talking about, but I think we can agree that reducing distortion is a good thing. Not everything, but a good thing.

Tim

If you call distortions of the recording such things as the purposely added distortions of the recording system - such as microphone tube preamplifiers and specific microphones, and some after processing made to enhance our the perception of a life event or even a specific type of sound, we can not agree. Then reducing is not a good thing.

Also the concept of reducing distortions is much more complicated than you consider. You have to weight which "distortions" really matter and which are not harmful, or even can mask those which are unpleasant. Reducing means that you have a precise way to check which is less - what will you use?

The "reducing distortions" concept could lead us to think that audio quality is a minimizing problem - it is much more than that IMHO.

Good mixing can create imaging, side to side and front to back that cannot exist in a live performance; it can bring a small acoustic guitar forward of a powerful singer's voice. It can place elements horizontally, with almost visual precision. This does not exist in nature. So what disbelief do I suspend when I close my eyes and listen to "Lonely Girls?" I know too much to imagine it sounds like a live performance. Perhaps I'm imagining in the sub-60hz information until I get that sub. :)
Tim

And it should not sound like a life performance, unless the recording engineer choose to create this illusion in us. The audio reproduction system should recreate the intentions of the creator - it is exactly what you describe in your post.

An audio system should be able to recreate the perception of an life performance, but can not fake if it does not exist. But some people know how to manipulate studio recordings in a way they can fool us. And we appreciate it!

And it should not sound like a life performance, unless the recording engineer choose to create this illusion in us. The audio reproduction system should recreate the intentions of the creator - it is exactly what you describe in your post.

An audio system should be able to recreate the perception of an life performance, but can not fake if it does not exist. But some people know how to manipulate studio recordings in a way they can fool us. And we appreciate it!

Too right, you are!! In the Tamir Hendelman Trio performance above, all the instruments were close miked, listening to each of the 5 tracks, I could clearly hear the bleed from one mike to the next, and yet when properly mixed, the Trio was laid out between and beyond two loudspeakers. The difference in soundstage and imaging between "live" sound (I was sitting in the front row dead center) has to be experienced to be believed. It was mixed completely different, and yet believable.

When I heard the recording, I was astonished. It sounded better than "live" but at the same time, it was an embellished tapestry of the real thing. It was the recording engineer's performance as much as it was the Trio's performance. This is now one case where the suspension of disbelief when I close my eyes does not bring me back to the live event, but to a place and time a little better than the live event enhanced by the recording engineer's art.

Micro, I agree with everything you said in your last two posts with the exception of this part:

You have to weight which "distortions" really matter and which are not harmful, or even can mask those which are unpleasant.

If a distortion is audible enough to mask another, I'll be rid of it if I can, even if it is "pleasant." YMMV. And no, I don't consider deliberate manipulations in the studio "distortions." I was thinking of the limitations of the equipment, all the way back to microphones, which simply do not hear the way human ears do.

Tim

One of the rare time I find myself in complete agreement with you ... :)

When I heard the recording, I was astonished. It sounded better than "live" but at the same time, it was an embellished tapestry of the real thing. It was the recording engineer's performance as much as it was the Trio's performance. This is now one case where the suspension of disbelief when I close my eyes does not bring me back to the live event, but to a place and time a little better than the live event enhanced by the recording engineer's art.
Gary, right on the money! I just mentioned in another post my being perplexed listening many years ago to classical performances and thinking this was not as good as a recording. And I came to the same conclusion at the time, as yourself, that the recording engineers have better access to sound streams from the event than I in my solitary audience seat, so in that sense a recording has every right to be superior.

Frank

The "reducing distortions" concept could lead us to think that audio quality is a minimizing problem - it is much more than that IMHO.
microstrip, this is where I will have to very strongly disagree with you. From my perspective it is most assuredly a minimizing problem; why the industry is in a mess as it is at the moment going round and round in circles with almost no forward motion is precisely because it doesn't see the problem in these terms. I have listened to additive solutions worth half a million dollars, and subtractive ones that I couldn't give away, and these experiences certainly tell me which is the right approach.

Frank

Tonight I went to a pleasant symphony at a local hall. While I was sitting in the audience, I once again realized how far away we are from being able to reproduce the sound of a 'live' orchestra in our homes.:(
One of the most obvious aspects is the massive dynamics and overall 'bloom' that the live orchestra brings to the table. I have never heard any audio system that can even come close to bringing this aspect to life.:(
What also struck me tonight, was the value of tremendous bottom-end extension that is not really that supportable in our homes. I'm beginning to think that perhaps the ability to move massive amounts of air is a requirement for any possible realistic reproduction of a symphony orchestra...although while in my seat the volume wasn't really that loud, however, the scope of sound was what impressed me.. and what. IMHO, we simply cannot seem to come close to reproducing in our homes..:(
Do we perhaps need to re-think how we put our systems together so that we focus primarily on the aspect of 'bloom/scale' reproduction and not on other areas such as imaging, etc?:confused::confused::confused:

Dear DaveyF: Live vs reproduced?. IMHO these are two very different " proccess ". Where the former is an " untouched " music/sound recreation the reproduced one is a continuous degradation proccess of that " untouched recreation ": a continuos different kind and different degradation levels.

Can any one mimic in the home audio system a live music event?, certainly not. What you heard at that local hall in the seat/place you choosed was a heavy blended " voice of the hall " more than music direct instrument " voices ". You was seated perhaps 15m-20m from the Concertino when in a recoprded session the microphones are around 3m from the orchestra players.

IMHO that " bloom " you heard has no existence at all when you hear the same scrore at the Orchestra Director place/position ( or microphone position. ) or at least that bloom ( as you name it. ) is way different.

So, we can't reproduce at home something that's not in the recording even if that recording has cero distortions. What we can reproduce at home is " almost " what's in the recording and nothing more than that.

But what is what are in the recording? what the microphones " heard it "?, unfortunately NOT.

What is in the recording is a heavy touched and degraded signal that passed through several steps where in each one of these that original signal is degraded.

Think a little where and which are some of those steps where the original signal pick-uped by the microphones must pass: microphone cable that carry the signal to the micro-preamp these cables could has one meter or dozens of meters ( depend on the site. ) and has too connectors at both cable ends and in between solder joints along the microphone connector and the micro-preamp connector: only in this very first stage the signal must pass for at least SEVEN different steps with degradation on each one and this is before the signal be processed by the micro-preamp!!!

Then the signal goes inside the micro-preamp for additional degradation and then goes to the mixing-console to following the degradation process with cable/connectors/solder joints in between and then to the edition degradation process ( if need it. ) and then to store it in the analog tape deck with cables/connecttors/solder joints in between with additional signal degradation by the tape deck it self that's is more severe than many of us could think: wow/flutter, phase variation, level modulation, modulation distortion, noise levels, generation of odd harmonics, limited frequency range, etc, etc. In all in between maybe in the recording ( usually ) appear the use of recording items like: limiters, noise reduction, equalizers and the like where the signal is degraded many additional times.

Now, it comes one- two or three additional process where maybe the audio/music signal " suffers " the heaviest degradation we could think: this is to transfer the signal to a LP. Several " mechanic " and electronic degradation steps happened including heavy equalization to conform according RIAA curve that equalize the signal with a very high equalization of + 20dbs to -20dbs over 20hz to 20khz. Imagine the equalization window is 40dbs from an already degraded audio signal!!!!!!

Al these is only the first degradation stages showed during audio signal recording process.

The second degradation stages happen during the home audio system LP playback and is more or less like this:

we put the LP in the TT platter hopping that the TT spins exactly at 33.1/3 rpm or 45rpm that were the cutting LP velocities and hopping too that in the very short time on TT spins there is no single speed variation but a constant one but unfortunately the only constants that we have at this TT stage are: speed inaccuracies and speed unstability, both degrade the signal.

But the LP ( it self ) has its own degradation " tools ": center hole off-center ( wow distortion focus. ), non-flat surface, vinyl own resonances, etc. all these " tools " help to additional signal degradation.

Before the cartridge tip could hit the very first LP groove we need to make a PERFECT tonearm set up along a PERFECT cartridge set up: pivot to spindle distance, overhang, offset-angle, VTA/SRA, VTF, Azymuth, Anti-skate, any tiny/microscopic deviation on each one of these set up parameters means additonal signal degradation and you know what?: always exist those microscopic deviations due the inherent imperfections in the analog LP medium. How can we be sure that the cartridge stylus tip is always in the right position groove after groove all over the LP recorded surface?: we just can't. So, only by this fact the signal is degraded.

Degradation continue due to the distortions/resonances coming from the TT and transmited through the TT platter in the LP that recat with the TT platter creating additional resonances that degrade the audio signal that will be pick-up by the phono cartridge.

The phono cartridge it self impose several and different kind of degradations depending on its design: MM/MI or MC , cantilever build material that resonate different, shape and cantilever length, stylus shape and build material, cartridge suspension design/type, cartridge compliance, cartridge frequency response, cartridge channel separation, kind and type of internal wiring on coils, cartridge pin connectors, cartridge body build material and shape, etc, etc. All these cartridge characteristics has influence in the signal quality. One of those cartridge characteristics that is so critical is the " hability/skills " of the cartridge that under any recorded condition ( recorded velocities, waves, off-center, inner grooves, etc, ) stays in the groove, that the stylus tip does not lose contact with the groove for minimum tracking distortions that always degrade the signal.

From the phono cartridge the signal goes to the tonearm pin conectors, solder joints and internal tonearm wire following by the tonearm RCA/XLR or DIN pin5 connectors and solder joints and from here to the IC cable/connectors/solder joints at both cable ends before the signal goes on the phono stage. All all those tonearm/cable stages the signal continue his degradation trip.

But before the signal arrive to the phono stage it must " endure/hold " the degradation imposed by the tonearm own resonances and the couple tonearm/cartridge own and different kind of resonances.

Oh yes!, all the vibrations coming from the floor in the room and from the air affect that audio signal too like: RFI, EMI, transformer hum, etc, etc. Unfortunately the cartridge signal output is so low that's extremely sensitive to many extrenal factors.

Now, the cartridge signal goes directly to " inferno/hell " name it: phono stage ( any. Tubes the worst, any. ). In this playback audio link the signal must pass for two critical and important stages: one is the signal amplification ( where in some LOMC cartridge we need to amplify the cartridge signal: 10,000 times!!! ) and the other that terrible inverse disastrous RIAA equalization curve AGAIN. IN both phono stage stages the signal degradation ( over a lot of before/added different signal degradations. ) is probably the worst one.

From here and through cables the signal follow its " happy degradation travel " in the line stage and then from here to the amplifier and trhough cables in the speakers and from the speakers to our ears but not directly but with previous room interaction that modulated the in ears signal.

I pass fast on each one of these audio links but only thing the signal degradation on any impeerfect amplifier design but especially in a tube one where the signal additionaly must pass over several wire metters in the transformers and where the tube ( any ) out put impedance just can't match the own speaker electrical impedance curve! generating a frequency response speaker equalization like a curve with valleys/deeps and peaks that does not exist in the signal coming from the amplifier: yes this mistmacht between amplifier output impedance and speaker electrical impedance curve are additional degradations in tube electronics !

DaveyF, as you can see the whole subject is not about: only lower distortions, amount of speaker air move, SPL, etc, etc but a totally faulty and imperfect LP world with literally " hundreds " of signal degradation steps.

After all IMHO we are lucky enough to hear " music " through our home audio system: don't you think? can you ask for more?

Btw, I agree with Phelonious Monk: digital especially 24/176.8 is better than analog including IMHO and due to its own problems R2R. Btw too, Phelonious Monk IMHO the analog desintoxification has no take over a month, less than a week and the right attitude/non-biased is more than enough to find out the TRUE.

IMHO if we still think that LP or R2R are better sources this is only a misunderstood or low knowledge level on the overall subject.

Could this means that now I'm a digital lover?, no it did not I'm still a music lover that I try to continue enjoying the best I can analog and digital technology: each one with his own trade-offs.

Live music?, well I attend at least one time every week to live music events.

Regards and enjoy the music,

Raul.

microstrip, this is where I will have to very strongly disagree with you. From my perspective it is most assuredly a minimizing problem; why the industry is in a mess as it is at the moment going round and round in circles with almost no forward motion is precisely because it doesn't see the problem in these terms. I have listened to additive solutions worth half a million dollars, and subtractive ones that I couldn't give away, and these experiences certainly tell me which is the right approach.

Frank

Frank,

Could you explain what you consider additive solutions and subtractive solutions?

Frank,

Could you explain what you consider additive solutions and subtractive solutions?
Additive solutions are when the mindset, how your head is viewing the problem, is that at any stage the components are not good enough to produce the target sound, therefore you need to add something more to the current setup to achieve that goal. This could be a "better" amplifier, more expensive or exotic cables, more extensive room treatment, or unusual and even unworldly tweaks that clutter up the room, from platforms to pretty stones.

Subtractive solutions are when you know or or use as your mental approach the concept that the setup you currently have is fully capable of achieving the excellent performance that you're after, but there are various problems within the components and how they are linked and that that is what needs to be solved. In other words you take away or subtract the weaknesses in what you currently have, either by your own tweaking or modifying, or by having someone else who knows what they're doing carry it out.

There will be overlaps at times in the additive and subtractive methods in terms of what you actually do: it is mostly to do with the mental attitude. In general the subtractive will be a lot cheaper, and far more likely to achieve a good result.

How a Formula 1 car is brought to a peak exemplifies the subtractive approach: they start with a certain engine, gearbox, suspension, etc, and through an iterative process eliminate the weaknesses one by one until their team has the winning vehicle ...

Frank

Last edited:
Raul, a very good reminder of the amount of degradation involved in the signal path. Thank you. One needs to stop and remember once in a while...and you were very gentle on the R2R distortions, which are several percent at the frequency extremes near 0VU.

Tom

Dear Tomelex: Speaks or chasing phantoms ( Phelonious Monk's sentence. ) is a false ilussion's audio world ( well an illusion is not something real but false. ) that shows only the people frustration. WE have what we have and the best way to go is: accept the way things are because today is all what we can get.

Raul.

Dear Tomelex: Speaks or chasing phantoms ( Phelonious Monk's sentence. ) is a false ilussion's audio world ( well an illusion is not something real but false. ) that shows only the people frustration. WE have what we have and the best way to go is: accept the way things are because today is all what we can get.

Raul.

Raul

If we had just to accept what we have and not search for better in anything and everything we , the Humans would have still been in caves ...

Raul

If we had just to accept what we have and not search for better in anything and everything we , the Humans would have still been in caves ...

In the particular case of audio, in anechoic caves ... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing