Looking for best pre amplifier under $12k

teeshot59

Apr 18, 2020
I went through a preamp search 6 months ago at a $6000 price point. Because I have a tube phono preamp (ARC Ref 2 SE), I wanted a SS preamp. After much research and listening, I came down to used Pass XP-22 and Merrill Audio Christine. I ended up choosing the Merrill unit. I would have been happy with either TBH. I think there is a Merrill Christine for sale right now on in the US for $4200 which is a good price for a $12,400 unit.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Ok nice! I did a 180 and got a 300b integrated! Now i an shopping for a loudspeaker to compliment it.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Ok nice! I did a 180 and got a 300b integrated! Now i an shopping for a loudspeaker to compliment it.

Well that is a whole new can of worms!You will need something with a flat impedance curve and sensitivity above at least 93 db.Not too many speakers like that around.
My experience has been the best place for a 300B is in a preamp.Hence my suggestion of the Supratek.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Daedalus! Would match very well indeed. I love their speakers and reasonable price for what you get.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Well that is a whole new can of worms!You will need something with a flat impedance curve and sensitivity above at least 93 db.Not too many speakers like that around.
My experience has been the best place for a 300B is in a preamp.Hence my suggestion of the Supratek.
Thanks Jono! Right now using Heresy IV which is not bad. Do you believe in say like a single driver like the Icon Audio FRM 2? Google it let me know what you think?

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Jono! Right now using Heresy IV which is not bad. Do you believe in say like a single driver like the Icon Audio FRM 2? Google it let me know what you think?

Not single driver/wide range.They are just too compromised.
Audio Note or Devore might be worth considering .

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Do you like metal dome tweeters or silk?
There are good and bad examples of all types.A lot of it comes down to how they are used.I actually like bullet tweeters used above say 4-5000hz.Especially in higher sensitivity speakers.
You probably should also look into the JLTI Elsinore kit speaker.They may not be sensitive enough but they are avery easy load with an almost ruler flat impedance curve.
I have tried a 300B SET amp on my vintage Tannoys which are pretty easy to drive but they did not have enough power or current to do a decent job.My Almarro 318B which uses 6C33C tubes for about 15 watts and twice the current drove them well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing