Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone try the RH 400? We bought one years ago...then a 2nd...now the guys in the office got them. Some post-operatively after spinal surgery. Incredibly comfortable. They come mid-rise as well.

Products

Find your product
store.flokk.com

1605741594567.png

allthebits

May 28, 2020
If this is what they used at LMC Home Stereo in Scottsdale, AZ, this is a fantastic chair. They stated they got it from Copenhagen Imports so I believe this is the correct chair or right around that model:

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Did anyone get to try the Gamut Lobster? Looks stunning but at a price!

Reactions: christoph

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
This is a chair I rebuilt the back to not have the head rest full width. I also built the foot stool to match the chair.
The chair is by Vanguard and is called the Woodley Recliner. There are more pics on my members page. It is entitled "My Happy Place"

Attachments

• IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    680.9 KB · Views: 13

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Did anyone get to try the Gamut Lobster? Looks stunning but at a price!
I like the aesthetics of this chair.
Would love to test-sit it.
The price looks thereabouts of the leather stressless chairs

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
This is a chair I rebuilt the back to not have the head rest full width. I also built the foot stool to match the chair.
The chair is by Vanguard and is called the Woodley Recliner. There are more pics on my members page. It is entitled "My Happy Place"
Now that is a useful tweak :cool:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just ordered this 74" dark brown leather three seat sofa for our listening room/living room. The challenge was to find a fairly small sofa that has three seats/cushions so that when I am listening alone, I am not sitting on a center seam. Most sofas this size have only two seats/cushions and the sofa needs to be centered in the room due to windows, etc. Our room is small with low ceilings in a 230 year old house, and most furniture these days seems large for big rooms with high ceilings in new homes. Almost all 3-seat sofas we found were 82-94" long. It was a difficult search. This was one of three that fit the criteria. It should arrive in about a week.

download.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The couch looks beautiful Congratulations!

Would it bother you to sit on a center seam?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The couch looks beautiful Congratulations!

Would it bother you to sit on a center seam?

I think a center seam is worse on the back than on the bottom, but I don't know. There is just something odd to me about sitting in the center of a two cushion sofa, so yes, it would bother me. I can't be sure about the lack of comfort though. It was fine for a few minutes in the showrooms, but long term during a listening session, I'd prefer a center cushion. The other consideration is scale. In a small old room, a two cushion sofa might appear too big. The salespersons referred to 74" two cushion sofas as "loveseats". To me, they look like loveseats for two huge people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
i just got delivered a Lay-Z-Boy Taylor. the top of the chair when reclined to a comfortable listening position is just over my shoulder level. Super comfy.

looks like everyone has their choice and they are all great imo.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think a center seam is worse on the back than on the bottom, but I don't know. There is just something odd to me about sitting in the center of a two cushion sofa, so yes, it would bother me. I can't be sure about the lack of comfort though. It was fine for a few minutes in the showrooms, but long term during a listening session, I'd prefer a center cushion. The other consideration is scale. In a small old room, a two cushion sofa might appear too big. The salespersons referred to 74" two cushion sofas as "loveseats".

Oh, I misunderstood. Of course it would not be comfortable to sit in the gap between two separate cushions. I thought you meant a sewed seam down the middle of a continuous cushion.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just ordered this 74" dark brown leather three seat sofa for our listening room/living room. The challenge was to find a fairly small sofa that has three seats/cushions so that when I am listening alone, I am not sitting on a center seam. Most sofas this size have only two seats/cushions and the sofa needs to be centered in the room due to windows, etc. Our room is small with low ceilings in a 230 year old house, and most furniture these days seems large for big rooms with high ceilings in new homes. Almost all 3-seat sofas we found were 82-94" long. It was a difficult search. This was one of three that fit the criteria. It should arrive in about a week.

View attachment 71788

I just installed the new listening seat, er, living room sofa. I really like the look, feel, and smell of leather. It replaces an old fabric sofa. There was some discussion about the reflective quality of leather but I can report that there is no detrimental effect on the sound. If anything, it may be a slight improvement over the absorption from the fabric sofa. Here are some photos of the sofa in position:

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It looks great, Peter! Happy listening!

Reactions: PeterA

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
I have been looking for the perfect listning chair, one that is relaxing, comfortable and with the height of the chair below the height of my ears

There are some amzing (and very expensive) chairs

I am interested in what you use and what recommendations you might have

So far I have found

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless/stressless_recliners/

http://www.thosmoser.com/product.detail.php?category_id=32&family_id=&product_id=1419
Definitely recommend the Ekornes Stressless chair. It's been my "reference" for well over a decade. However, the big one shown in the photo puts my ears below the top of the chair back, which is not good. The very bottom end of the Ekornes line works best for me as it puts my ears above the back. You have to sit in it to know which is best but you definitely don't want your head cushioned in the seat back. Comfortable? Yes but not good for sound IMO

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Definitely recommend the Ekornes Stressless chair. It's been my "reference" for well over a decade. However, the big one shown in the photo puts my ears below the top of the chair back, which is not good. The very bottom end of the Ekornes line works best for me as it puts my ears above the back. You have to sit in it to know which is best but you definitely don't want your head cushioned in the seat back. Comfortable? Yes but not good for sound IMO
Thats why I bought my chair Mike. Found it in Roche Bobois in NYC and it is the best chair I have ever had in my sound room

The back is so low that I was shocked how much the sound improved over my last chair when the back of the chair reached to the shoulder level

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thats why I bought my chair Mike. Found it in Roche Bobois in NYC and it is the best chair I have ever had in my sound room

The back is so low that I was shocked how much the sound improved over my last chair when the back of the chair reached to the shoulder level

Steve, did you ever listen to both chairs in the exact same listening position or did you move the new chair right to the new listening position closer to the speakers as suggested by ddk?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing