Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

Last night I compared the HT 3 seats with high headrests vs. the Herman Miller Embody and I have mixed feelings. With the HM there's definitely more air and "presence" (low back, no headrest) and slightly more dynamics to my ears, the bass is significantly worse. I expected more bass since HT seats / couches can act as bass absorbers but the difference is quite profound. While dialing back the JL Audio F112 helped a bit it's just plain bloated. And while I know I can tweak the bass and seat position my gut tells me I may end up selling the Embody and may end up buying a single low back comfy chair, we'll see.

I'm patting myself (and my ears?) on the back. Measuring before and after confirms what I heard. For me this is a wake - up call in terms of chair height, material and placement importance. As you can see the mid - highs are much flatter and the bass has larger peaks. The HT seats aided as a bass trap but adversely affected the top end with the high back pleather. And yes, I know I have a nasty ~30Hz peak, working on that. HT seats vs. HM chair - 041017.jpg

Very nice room but not very symmetrical. We have the same chairs but not side by side. Mine is in my listening room above the kitchen and my wife's is in our living room. My room is 18' wide, 27' deep, and 11' high. It is nowhere near as tidy.

Optical illusion created by the photo. Bob will surely chime but the room is symmetrical where it matters most and the curtains deal with the back. See http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15727-Wilson-amp-ARC-for-me&p=445063&viewfull=1#post445063

I purchased a new listening chair in September of last year, after years of searching for an option that fit me well and
had a good mid-century look.

Well, West Elm released the Austin chair + ottoman at some point last year, and after sitting in it several times at the store, I decided I finally had a chair that checked all of my boxes and the cost wasn't too bad either.

Prior to finding the Austin chair, I had favored the Ekornes Metropolitan Chair, as it got rid of the circular base that I just never warmed up to.

austin-leather-ottoman-o.jpgMetroLow.jpg

Here is the chair installed in my room.

IMG_1017 resized.jpg

Really nice chairs, a little steep in price, but nice. Cantoni - https://www.cantoni.com/category/mo...239.100742&sortby=ourPicksAscend&pp=12&page=4

Yes, very steep prices indeed. I like more the Monaco model for its affordability: https://www.cantoni.com/product/mon...4&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100742
And it also has the right design so so, without a too high back (I still prefer a lower back for serious ? "activity").

iipsrv.fcgi

But I just don't like the feet; it doesn't inspire solidity and good contact with the floor. By the way, it is the less expensive one from all the ones in your link.
______

* soliver's chair above has the right architecture, without a high back to affect resolution and imaging.

I think it's a good idea to not only listen and test the chair's comfort we intend to marry/communicate our music with but also to measure its hi fidelity with a hi quality mic from the spot where our head is. This is something we rarely discuss in the high end audiophile forums, and it's probably @ near the top if not of the entire music listening experience.

If I was in the high end audio business I would design the best music listening chairs, and using the best acoustic materials, and the most relaxing color's tints.
The feet would also be very very important for that floor contact affecting the entire body.

? One of the best threads here @ WBF. It perfectly fits the essence.
_____

If you are truly serious about music matters (here are just two examples):

lounge-chair-gear-patrol-800.jpg

LC_2-chair.jpg

Enter a new home where an audiophile lives, and if you see a chair in the music listening room that looks similar then you know that you are in the right Mr./Mrs. audiophile home...IMO/

Last edited:
The Cantoni chairs would require an extended audition. They appear to be artiste conceit chairs rather than sitting chairs, with designer prices. Some of them would be surprising if they were comfortable from the looks of them.

A late entrant . . . Poltrona Frau Downtown Visitor:

image.jpg

Thank you, Steve!

(Why do my photos always rotate?)

The Managerial model of this chair has a low back (I have decided to pick a low back chair to moot any concern about a back rest being at or even a little below the level of my ears), has adjustable seat height, adjustable reclining positions with adjustable tilt tension, and has, for me, naturally comfortable lumbar support. It comes in a fixed feet, glider version. The seat is surprisingly comfortable and cushiony.

Unfortunately Poltrana Frau is a fancy Italian brand and it is very expensive.

I did a whirlwind survey of about 50 different chairs in about nine stores yesterday and it is not easy for me to find a chair with excellent, naturally comfortable (for me), lumbar support like the Humanscale Freedom chair.

The Lifeform chair (which is filled with memory foam and, therefore, is very cushiony) also is a finalist but its number of adjustments almost annoys me, as opposed to finding a chair which is relatively naturally comfortable without any adjustments.

This is mine. Poltrona Frau Willy.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 331
This is mine. Poltrona Frau Willy.
Very nice ! Looks comfy with minimal audio impact. Funny name, "Frau Willy" means Mrs. Willy in German.

493.jpg

Hmm, too bad the back is so high. :)

W7-177_sq_sat.jpg

How come nobody's ever chosen a rocker?

Here is mine, from Pier 1 imports. I must have spent an hour or so in the store to find the perfect fit for sitting upright (better for the back, IMO) yet comfortably:

P1010466_cr.jpg

Very nice ! Looks comfy with minimal audio impact. Funny name, "Frau Willy" means Mrs. Willy in German.
Poltrona Frau is the producer, chair is Willy. BTW, it is very comfortable but you can't sleep in it.

www.poltronafrau.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing