Looking for Tube Recommendations!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
sorry for being a bit OT but does anyone know a reputable tube seller in Europe?

Reactions: geodiak

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
To all that commented on this thread: "thank you!" I ordered tubes from Brent Jessie and they are excellent. Awesome service, great communication and super fast shipment.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
it's time to re-tube my Ayon Triton mono-blocks and I'm looking for recommendations for both tubes and suppliers.

each mono-block uses 4 each of 12au7/ecc82 and KT88.

currently they are set up with Genelex Golden Lion KT88 and Tungsram ECC82,
as provided by Ayon when I purchased and re-tubed the amps about 5 years ago.

while the Ayon has an auto-bias procedure, i was curious as to how the old tubes were doing so i measured them
on a Hickok 800A tube tester, which is known to be not accurate enough for tube absolute calibrations but should be satisfactory for relative
comparisons.

all the 12au7 had triode pair measurements of Gm matched to 10-15% except for one that is clearly going bad and had a more than 2x1 mismatch between the two sides of the tube.
on an absolute scale, there is a 75-90% Gm variation from the strongest to weakest tubes.

the KT88 tubes measured mostly +/-10% from the average Gm value, with one clearly on its last legs at only 50% of the average Gm.

so, my holiday gift to me is a new set of tubes.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
i'll start calling a few places like Andy (Vintage Tube Services) and Tube Depot tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
@cat6man
The first input stage will have the most influence on sound. And it depends what type of sonics you're looking for. For neutral-warm I like 1950s RCA blackplates. Good bass, liquid mids, smooth top-end. The 5814 is the industrial premium equivalent.
1950s, 1960s Tung-Sol and Sylvania provide transparent, realistic, open sonics with extended highs.
Amperex Bugle Boys ECC82 are dynamic with a 3D image and extension in the highs. The highs can get harsh in a bright system.
Mullard longplate square getter (expensive) or halo-getters are warm and lush with smooth highs and an open liquid midrange. The CV4003 Mullard has box plates and is more neutral and very musical.

I like to use different tubes in the input gain stage vs. the phase splitters. I'm using a Mullard square-getter in the gain stage and NOS Tung-Sol as drivers.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
@cat6man
The first input stage will have the most influence on sound. And it depends what type of sonics you're looking for. For neutral-warm I like 1950s RCA blackplates. Good bass, liquid mids, smooth top-end. The 5814 is the industrial premium equivalent.
1950s, 1960s Tung-Sol and Sylvania provide transparent, realistic, open sonics with extended highs.
Amperex Bugle Boys ECC82 are dynamic with a 3D image and extension in the highs. The highs can get harsh in a bright system.
Mullard longplate square getter (expensive) or halo-getters are warm and lush with smooth highs and an open liquid midrange. The CV4003 Mullard has box plates and is more neutral and very musical.

I like to use different tubes in the input gain stage vs. the phase splitters. I'm using a Mullard square-getter in the gain stage and NOS Tung-Sol as drivers.

Agree on the Mullards excellent value and sonics and damn close to the BBoys which are mega $$$'s!
I've tried most of the other suspects--and found these --as Lowrider posted the most "neutral and Musical"and bang for the buck.
ECC82/CV4003MUL/BOXANODE
I use Brimars as drivers.

BruceD

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Agree on the Mullards excellent value and sonics and damn close to the BBoys which are mega $$$'s!
I've tried most of the other suspects--and found these --as Lowrider posted the most "neutral and Musical"and bang for the buck.
ECC82/CV4003MUL/BOXANODE
I use Brimars as drivers.

BruceD

Bruce, I love Brimars. The best kept secret in tube rolling. Everybody goes for the Mullards. I like to have a Brimar placed somewhere in my system.
I'm also using Brimar boxplates as drivers in one of my amps.

Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing