Loudspeaker Suggestions Please – Alternatives to Avantgarde Mezzo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
We don't see much Klipsch stuff this side of the Pond, so I've never heard them. I get the impression (maybe wrongly as they seem to have a big following) that they are rather more mid-fi than hi-fi and are produced to a price. Certainly it seems that good horn speakers need a lot of careful development and can't be made cheaply or they'll sound cheap. I don't think there's much distortion in Avantgardes to worry about - and no doubt other well-respected horn brands. Peter

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I think my point is that the Avantgardes, like the Klipsch and early JBL's, amoung others, all suffer from horn colorations. Newer horn designs may reduce or elminate these.

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
With a budget of up to Mezzo price (40-50K, but hopefully far less) what else should I look at? They must be happy standing mid-room (no back wall), so no Martin Logans please – they just sound poor in my room (I have Expression 13As for sale). This probably excludes other panel speakers, though big Quads sounded remarkably good. What else is there that will sound fantastic and look interesting?

hORNS Universum comes to mind. I've never heard 'em, but can't recall ever hearing anything bad about 'em either. And they'd be at home in a museum of modern art. Speaking as a horn guy who hopes to compete with them in the not-too-distant, they are intimidating.

Another possibility is SoundLab fullrange electrostats. Unlike the hybrid Martin Logans, they work great way out in the middle of the room, and are quite happy with reflective surfaces as long as they are not too close to the wall behind them. Select Hifi is listed as their UK dealer.

Last edited:

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Imaginative suggestions...
Well.
A speaker that would work in the current location occupied by the Avantgardes would be
Since we are talking the UK here..

Proac Future two. Classics, and somewhat underrated.

They would need powered subs to complement them.
I heard them with Aerial 12 Subs. Placed midway in a 13 to 15 meter deep room. I'd say it was 5- 6 meters wide. Listening distance was about 9 feet of more back from the speakers.
Future two, a good sub or two. It would work.

But. My suggestion, again from the UK would be Ruark Excaliber.

Big and Burley.
5ft tall?
Imaginative this indeed is.
I heard them at a show driven by an Audio Aero Hybrid amp (50w) and a CJ 16 tube pre.
In a small room, very close. And it worked. Imagine given the room to breathe.
I've seen them selling these days in the UK for £5000 a pair. (Choice hifi)
These are rare. But very well done...
These are gems. Extremely rare.

Imperial

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Imperial, I used to run ProAc Futures Two. Have some very strong opinions about them. Incl one aspect that really compromises them as a choice.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Yes. I think i know what you mean...

Hear here would need to confirm this but I'd be willing to bet that in his current setup bass information is left or right dominant in the soundstage.
Meaning that bassy information isnt centered as it should be.

Most likely more often to the right.
So in the picture he has given his desk is probably a place with really good sound.

If he would play ...
Kari Bremnes 'Lover in Berlin'
Kari Bremnes 'Elsker i Berlin (original)
Voice is dead senter
Drum kit and percussion is 'laid out'
The deep male line in the norwegian version saying...
'Aya ja ja... Aya ja ja'
It startes right ... Moves left.
And then starts left and moves right...
A very good test.

My suggestion is Ruark Excalibur... By the way.

Imperial

Last edited:
Reactions: Hear Here

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Imperial, my issue was more w the treble. The Futures 2 uses a ribbon tweeter, highly directional w poor vertical dispersion. Its mounted nearly 4' high on a 5' tall spkr w slanted baffle. Which means that at the listening position, the tweeter points sound above ear level...confirmed when treble only gels when you're standing up.
The primary reason I sold them.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Yes. My observation too.
How often would you wanna casually stand in front of your speakers.
Some owners tried to tilt them slightly forward...
When standing back some 4 to 5 meters they integrated fine. But, a design choice that is strange. Other than that. The Fremer test aside. They were almost hornlike dynamically down to as 80Hz..

I liked them. Freaking good with voices.

Imperial

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I gave them up reluctantly. In my old space I could only sit back a max of 3.5m. They certainly could work better in my space here. But, I sold them 12 yrs ago.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
For horns other than the Avantgardes, you might want to look into Ocean Way or Diesis loudspeakers. Neither which I've heard, but have heard good things.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For horns other than the Avantgardes, you might want to look into Ocean Way or Diesis loudspeakers. Neither which I've heard, but have heard good things.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Diesis have made a very good impression on me the two times I have heard them in Munich. Other ones to consider are Odeon, Live Act Audio, Dynamikks, Acapella, Viva and Blumenhofer. None of these are as sensitive as Avantgarde but will work with SET of medium power or Class A tube or SS PP.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Despite these (or because of them) I've just ordered a pair of Avantgarde Duo XDs. A but rash maybe, but I'd much prefer to buy a brand that has a good resale value.

I sold my Unos last year after 16 or so years for exactly what I paid for them new - zero depreciation. You can't say that of many brands. I'm likely to make a big profit on my 2006 Duos, but that's because I bought them last year for a bargain price. I wonder if these new Duos will be worth what I'm paying for them in 2036? For sure I sadly won't be around then. Peter

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Despite these (or because of them) I've just ordered a pair of Avantgarde Duo XDs. A but rash maybe, but I'd much prefer to buy a brand that has a good resale value.

I sold my Unos last year after 16 or so years for exactly what I paid for them new - zero depreciation. You can't say that of many brands. I'm likely to make a big profit on my 2006 Duos, but that's because I bought them last year for a bargain price. I wonder if these new Duos will be worth what I'm paying for them in 2036? For sure I sadly won't be around then. Peter

I think you made the best choice, congratulations:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing