lower back pain = linked to bed?

Lorrie

Nov 14, 2012
Lorrie, I have a memory foam topper. My cushioned mattress just wasn't doing it and since I slept on my side, I had often woke up with compression hip pain as well. I bought a 3" memory foam topper on the suggestion of my Osteopath (think MD with chiropractic training) about 5 years ago and it was one of the best $150 I'd ever spent.

Yeah I think this is the way I'm leaning (no pun!). A Memory Foam mattress topper is going to be my first step, try and adapt myself accordingly. Who knows, I may be a convert to the foam before long!

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
My friend has a great app for lower back pain.

Search Stretch Away Pain at the app store.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
For approximately thirty years, I have slept on a two hundred year-old bed that is a nonstandard size, so I had a local company custom make the mattress. I specified, "Make me the hardest mattress you have ever made." They did, and I believe it is impossible to wear this mattress out. Also, I sleep like a baby with zero back pain. I'm convinced hard is best. By the way, I sleep flat on my back with my arms crossed like a vampire. :)

I remember reading an account of a man who spent years in a Siberian work camp. Mostly, he wrote of all the expected horrors, but he did mention the upside of becoming accustomed to sleeping on a flat board. He maintained that it fixed his bad previous posture and back problems.

Oh, I worked as a traveling rep for years, and I did sleep fairly well at better hotels, but not as well as at home on my old "board" mattress.

I completely concur. Before I met my SO, I slept on a hard bed just as you described and I loved it. After we met, I was coerced into getting a new, "modern" multi-layer ten foot thick mattress that is "all nice and cushy" by "normal peoples" standards, where I cannot sit on the bed and have my feet come anywhere near the floor while I put my socks on and shoes on. I hate it. It was not the most expensive bed in the store, but for the $7500 I spent, I could have had a lot more fun buying a lawn tractor. The worst part is, I never had back pain before, but I do when I sleep on that bed. If I sleep in the guest room where my previous bed now resides, I wake up feeling great and without any stiffness regardless of my sleeping position, which several people have told me throughout my life, does not change at all during the night. Some nights I sleep on my back, others on my left or right side or abdomen, but once asleep, I lie there, still as a corpse until the alarm rings in the morning, so changing positions does not contribute to feeling good or not in the morning. It's the degree of firmness of the bed.

For me, a bed about as hard (or soft) as a deep pile carpet is just right. I don't know what people see in a "nice soft" mattress.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like the same bed and same room arrangement. I guess we have to make adjustments. . . .

Some days it's the only time we are together for any length of time.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing