LP flattener

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I am looking for a record / LP flattener. Any recommendations ? Looking to flattern slightly warped records.

I have no experience in this regards. Bought a cheapish one but ended up destroyting the LP that I was trying to save partly due to my own impatience. So, need a 'press one button' solution.

I see this :

1) https://afi-record-flattener.com/ - AFI, a brand I am unfamiliar with

2) https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...0RumqrpjbJrVOTPvRvd3GX6cHGu3zSjAaAt5OEALw_wcB - Orb branded one

3) There is also a Furutech one

Which is works the best ?

Thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have owned an Orb DF-02 for ova 10 years. These best piece of hifi I have bought.
Works faultlessly.

BTW, Orb also manufacture all the Fururech flatteners and rebadge them.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks all

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I have owned an Orb DF-02 for ova 10 years. These best piece of hifi I have bought.
Same. Depressing the amount of records I have to run through it! Any amount of dish and in it goes :) Also provide the service for friends.

One benefit is that you can sometimes find minty warped records sold cheaply and flatten them - minty because nobody could play them...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I am looking for a record / LP flattener. Any recommendations ? Looking to flattern slightly warped records.

I have no experience in this regards. Bought a cheapish one but ended up destroyting the LP that I was trying to save partly due to my own impatience. So, need a 'press one button' solution.

I see this :

1) https://afi-record-flattener.com/ - AFI, a brand I am unfamiliar with

2) https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...0RumqrpjbJrVOTPvRvd3GX6cHGu3zSjAaAt5OEALw_wcB - Orb branded one

3) There is also a Furutech one

Which is works the best ?

Thanks.
I just ordered the AFI - all reviews are very positive and I’m especially intrigued by the “Relax” mode.
I have the ORB DF-01 and I have not been impressed. That said, it was a lot less expensive than the AFI.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I just ordered the AFI - all reviews are very positive and I’m especially intrigued by the “Relax” mode.
I have the ORB DF-01 and I have not been impressed. That said, it was a lot less expensive than the AFI.
Your issues with the Orb? The AFI is almost 3x the price, 4x if I get the Orb direct from Japan.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

I bought ORB DF-01iA last week and waiting it to be delivered. I would like to know what was the issue that you’re experiencing with it.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Your issues with the Orb? The AFI is almost 3x the price, 4x if I get the Orb direct from Japan.
More than half the time it didn’t work! Even minor warps not removed.
I don’t have the model with the edge guard attachment, and I never understood which of my records have the guard or don’t. I also read that you should not latch the lid when in use, others say the opposite…
I find it works about 10-25% of the time. On a couple of occasions the Orb destroyed the record.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
More than half the time it didn’t work! Even minor warps not removed.
I don’t have the model with the edge guard attachment, and I never understood which of my records have the guard or don’t. I also read that you should not latch the lid when in use, others say the opposite…
I find it works about 10-25% of the time. On a couple of occasions the Orb destroyed the record.

Instructions say don’t latch. What’s your process? Some records won’t flatten but it’s a small number for me, maybe less than 5%. Also I would suggest with colored vinyl or older thin vinyl to use Low and only for 30-60 min.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Instructions say don’t latch. What’s your process? Some records won’t flatten but it’s a small number for me, maybe less than 5%. Also I would suggest with colored vinyl or older thin vinyl to use Low and only for 30-60 min.
I followed the instructions exactly… not sure why it doesn’t really work for me.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Been using the Orb for three+ years now. Probably 100+ records through it, if not more. Works 99% of the time. Couldn't live without a flattener.

Even better - I've deliberately bought some warped records where I was struggling to find a clean original - flattened the warped record, which I was gambling on never having been played, and hey presto - minty OG :)

Reactions: XV-1 and mtemur

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I don’t have the model with the edge guard attachment, and I never understood which of my records have the guard or don’t.
Just pinch the edge of the record - if it has a raised edge, that's the edge guard (most common). If the record is perfectly flat at the edges it has no edge guard.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
On a couple of occasions the Orb destroyed the record.
Never had that happen. Worst thing is I've fumbled a record and put spindle marks onto the label.

I wonder if your model is functioning correctly?

I just use LOW mode for the first pass. Nearly always works. If that doesn't, I'll go to MEDIUM heat. Very rarely, and always a last resort, I'll use HIGH heat mode.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What is the "resting" function in the AFI?
Is it the mechanical equivalent of effectively doing nothing, while charging 2.5x more for the privilege than the Orb?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
What is the "resting" function in the AFI?
Is it the mechanical equivalent of effectively doing nothing, while charging 2.5x more for the privilege than the Orb?
Actually, not at all. Science behind why Relax mode makes complete sense. Read the reviews. Inventor has a Phd in Chemistry.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Just pinch the edge of the record - if it has a raised edge, that's the edge guard (most common). If the record is perfectly flat at the edges it has no edge guard.
So I can only use my Orb if the record has the edge guard. Most of my records don’t. I guess that’s the issue. Always thought that was a lame design choice. No such limitation with the AFI. You put it in and it works.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What is "raised edge"?
New one on me.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
So I can only use my Orb if the record has the edge guard. Most of my records don’t. I guess that’s the issue. Always thought that was a lame design choice. No such limitation with the AFI. You put it in and it works.

Are you sure? What’s in your collection? Put the record into a thin sleeve. Pinch the record an inch or so in and slide your fingers to the edge of the record. If you feel a bump right before your fingers come off the record it has groove guard. As I understand it not having groove guard is rare.

Reactions: mtemur and rDin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anyone here decided *not* to spend big and go for the $250 Record Pi (prev Record Flat)?

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing