LP flattener

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I’ve probably run 200+ through my DF0-1iA and have melted maybe 5. Two of those were translucent red. Now I know to cut the cycle short for colored vinyl and it’s been fine.
Interesting. What heat setting? I may see if I can deliberately damage a record, just to get the data point...

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
The AFI also has the “Relax” function which makes a noticeable difference !
That does intrigue me. Is it really more than just the result of heating a record and letting it cool? Or is it doing something more? Repeated low heat/cool to "flex" it???

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Another data point, but I also haven't lost a record with the Orb either, so far... All types been through from run of the mill to MoFi One-Step, UHQR formulations and all variations of weight, colour and temperatures.
+1

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Interesting. What heat setting? I may see if I can deliberately damage a record, just to get the data point...
I always use Low setting. Now I stop it after 30 or 60 min for colored vinyl.

Reactions: rDin

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Well, I have had my ORB DF-01iA+ (improved model over the DF-01iA non + model) since November 2022. Since then, I have put through about 15-20 records. So far, it's 100% success rate for me. For more severely warped records, I put it through the cycle twice. I use the 4hr cycle on medium. There seems to b 2 temperature gradients in this cycle. Pretty happy with this purchase.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I only use LOW these days. If a record (rare) doesn't flatten then it gets another run at MEDIUM.

Reactions: djsina2 and joeling

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What is the temp of your machine. Mine is factory set at 125.5. I left it there. Flattened about 4 records. Never an issue that was the flatner.

cbondcarolina

Mar 28, 2024
United States
Yes I have years of experience with Vinyl Flat....years of unsatisfying experience. Hit or miss, and some mangled lps to boot. I would imagine a similar outcome with the UK Record Pi. A Hoffman thread on it indicates the same sort of experience I had with Vinyl Flat.

I would recommend to anyone getting the Orb that they also use felt lp sized spacers sandwhiched around the lp, which ensures no contact of the lp with the glass. I have flattened at least 100 records using it in this manner, including supposedly un-flattenable ones that weight under 140g...
I have done this same thing using the Orb. I had two felt spacers left over from the Record Pi that I used prior to the Orb, but I don’t love them as they’re a bit flimsy. Do you remember where you got your spacers? I’d like a better quality than the two I currently own.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
What problem does using the felt solve? And what might it create? I've used the "naked" Orb on hundreds of records without any issues...

Reactions: mtemur

djsina2

May 30, 2019
What problem does using the felt solve? And what might it create? I've used the "naked" Orb on hundreds of records without any issues...
I’ve used the felt. Don’t think it serves any purpose unless your record has no groove guard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing