Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks review

Well, I "upgraded" to it last night.

The system works, but there are glitches and old features I have not found in the new system. My HP color laserjet 2320 MFP and L7780 scanner/fax/printer copiers aren't aren't supported for scanning. Now they only print. The lazy bums at HP and apple didn't feel like updating their software drivers to make it work.

There are a number of features that were present that aren't available, or I have not found them in Mavericks. First, in Safari, I don't know how to prevent "Top Sites" from being present. In 10.6.8, I told it not to show top sites in the favorites bar and it was fine. In Mavericks I can't get rid of it. Second, "screen zoom" which I used a lot with the mouse by scrolling and holding control, now only works by pinching the track pad, and I HATE the track pad. I might be able to live with that, but the degree of magnification in the zoom is much less than it used to be.

Mavericks also is more wasteful regarding screen real estate. Windows and dialog boxes open up taking more screen space than it used to, thereby covering other open windows. I am running 1200 by 1920. Address book, calendar and Safari take more window space to show the same information than it used to.

The old dock had a dark gray background. The new one is lighter which means the value (light to black) is about the same as the icons on it, making the icons more a color contrast than a color AND value contrast. The old dock was easier to read the icons.

Text/icons labels on the desktop are harder to read because the letter all have shadow backgrounds which decreases clarity.

I'm just getting started with it and I'm sure ti will find a number of features that either no longer work or work differently that I have not discovered yet.

I'm not a lover yet.

Last edited:
That's true, but there are still some features I used to have in the 10.6.8 operating system that I either cannot find or are not present in 10.9.1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing