Magico A5?

I am considering trading my A5's for a pair of focal sopra 3's
Interesting. Maybe you could elaborate on the sound characteristics you hear in Focal vs Magico and why someone would prefer one over the other? How about the Scala EVO vs A5 which would be closer regarding the price points.

Interesting. Maybe you could elaborate on the sound characteristics you hear in Focal vs Magico and why someone would prefer one over the other? How about the Scala EVO vs A5 which would be closer regarding the price points.I'
I am going to give the A5 some more break in time before answering that , I have a new pair of sopra 3 sitting here but feel I didn't give the A5 enough time to break in .

I am going to give the A5 some more break in time before answering that , I have a new pair of sopra 3 sitting here but feel I didn't give the A5 enough time to break in .

The A5s do take some time to break-in. Close to 450 hours is what I think I read somewhere …

Reactions: mxk116

Mine took ~500 hours to settle in and become consistent day to day. I logged every hour during breakin and it wasn't until ~570 hours for the lower octaves to have the extension and slam I was anticipating from the beginning. Well worth the wait, hang in there.

Last edited:
...I recall at about 250 hours they were most of the way there, then a bit fuller, more complete in about 100 hours more.

Thanks , I will continue to give them time . Also wondering what amp you guys are using ? I have a Luxman M10X but feel throwing more power into them might not be a bad idea . Tempted to bring my constellation Centaur 500 here but it's a beast to move

Thanks , I will continue to give them time . Also wondering what amp you guys are using ? I have a Luxman M10X but feel throwing more power into them might not be a bad idea . Tempted to bring my constellation Centaur 500 here but it's a beast to move

I‘m using Vitus SM-103 monos to drive our Magico M3s. I used Pass 260.8 monos to drive our A3s. IMO the Constellation would be great with the A5s!

I‘m using Vitus SM-103 monos to drive our Magico M3s. I used Pass 260.8 monos to drive our A3s. IMO the Constellation would be great with the A5s!
?I know it would be great just don't want to haul it lol , then I'd need something for my Focal Maestro Utopia Evo

• Haha
Reactions: Audire
?I know it would be great just don't want to haul it lol , then I'd need something for my Focal Maestro Utopia Evo
The best amp I've had in my home driving the the A5 is the Westminster Lab Rei (w/ WL power and speaker cables). I had to suspend my disbelief with their size and not "listen" with my eyes. Remarkable amps and both channels fit on the same amp stand that I use for a single Classe Delta Stereo. Love the form factor but the immediacy, effortlessness and bass control/tonality I experienced in my room was without precedent.

I'm saving my back and buying the Westminster Rei.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUToo
I understand all rooms are diffrent but curious how far away from wall A5 owners have there speakers pulled ?

The best amp I've had in my home driving the the A5 is the Westminster Lab Rei (w/ WL power and speaker cables). I had to suspend my disbelief with their size and not "listen" with my eyes. Remarkable amps and both channels fit on the same amp stand that I use for a single Classe Delta Stereo. Love the form factor but the immediacy, effortlessness and bass control/tonality I experienced in my room was without precedent.

I'm saving my back and buying the Westminster Rei.
I looked into these amps and probably would of tried this route but already placed my amp order . I plan on trying the Rei one day hopefully soon

I looked into these amps and probably would of tried this route but already placed my amp order . I plan on trying the Rei one day hopefully soon
Literally finalized my order yesterday, hopefully the amps will ship next week. There is a remarkable synergy between the Rei and the Westminster Labs Ultra cables. In my system the Ultra speaker cables made the most compelling improvement over the Valhalla 2 cables I have used for several years. So 2 Ultra power cords (one for each chassis) and a pair of Ultra speaker cables are part of the upgrade. Cables are apparently built to order and should arrive in the next 30 days or so. Very excited since I had the benefit of a lengthy home demo courtesy of Gary Leeds and Westminster Lab.

70508513960__5BC90A1F-E6C1-40E8-8107-9F3BE1513532.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ICUToo and Golum
I understand all rooms are diffrent but curious how far away from wall A5 owners have there speakers pulled ?
The rear of the speakers are ~45" from the rear wallIMG_2099.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Audire and b345t
The rear of the speakers are ~45" from the rear wallView attachment 110767

Looks really beautiful ! I bet it sounds amazing. Remind me please, which company makes this diffusor? Also if you don't mind letting me know, what are the dimensions of your room? I was told by my dealer after inquiring about the Magico A5 that maybe a Focal Scala or Wilson speaker will fill the room better with bass. My room is just under 50m2.

Luxman M-10X with S3 MkII's.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
Looks really beautiful ! I bet it sounds amazing. Remind me please, which company makes this diffusor? Also if you don't mind letting me know, what are the dimensions of your room? I was told by my dealer after inquiring about the Magico A5 that maybe a Focal Scala or Wilson speaker will fill the room better with bass. My room is just under 50m2.
RD Acoustics makes the hybrid diffuser. The room is multipurpose with a bar area on the left side of the room as viewed from the photo. So the system is set up asymmetric on the long side of the room. The ceiling height varies from 9.5' to a max of 11.5' which makes the cubic volume a bit complicated to calculate. The room is 28' long x 20.5' wide which converts to ~ 574 sq ft or 53.3 sq M

Reactions: b345t
RD Acoustics makes the hybrid diffuser. The room is multipurpose with a bar area on the left side of the room as viewed from the photo. So the system is set up asymmetric on the long side of the room. The ceiling height varies from 9.5' to a max of 11.5' which makes the cubic volume a bit complicated to calculate. The room is 28' long x 20.5' wide which converts to ~ 574 sq ft or 53.3 sq M
Great thanks for that. Does the A5 fill the room with bass adequately? Do you get that 'pressurised room' feeling?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing