Magico FINALLY finds Musicality!!! - Thanks to CAT Preamp and Monoblocks!!!!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Could you explain to us what that reason is? I remember him describing the Mini II/ARC Ref610 combination as being the most realistic reproduction of small scale acoustic instruments that he had ever heard, or something to that effect, in the TAS Mini II review. I also think he auditioned the M5 with the ARC super monos in his home system, and perhaps the Q5.

I've always like SS with Magico, personally, which is why I use Pass Class A with my Minis. Spectral also sounds great with Magico.

We are talking many years back, but after the mini, I think he went on to review many hard to drive speaker, where ARC sounded like crap. Even being a reliable go to reviewer for arc (like Kessler), he could not honestly say it was good driving some of these beasts.

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
No evidence that the S7 midrange is any better than S5 mk 2. They both use same drivers.

Do you have a reference for that? I know they use similar drivers but Magico uses different part numbers for them:
M Project Midrange: MCG1005
S7 Midrange: MCG8005
S5 MKII Midrange: M390G

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Your conclusions are based on the two speaker/amp combinations. Unclear if the room or rest of the system was the same. The Mini is much more transparent than the V3, and higher in resolution. It might have been more informative to hear each speaker with each amplifier in the same system/room. But certainly, the Solution and Zanden amps sound different too.

It is the usual dilemma in speaker evaluation. Most of the time we are just just evaluating the compatibility of the speaker / system. IMHO in order to compare two speakers in general terms you must listen to them using the electronics that best matches and enhances them, according to our preferences. In this hobby it is much easier to get a poor or average sounding combination than a good sounding one.

The Mini 2's are not an easy speaker. But when properly matched they are outstanding. They loved the Audio Research REf 750's, unfortunately I did not like the Devialet 400's with them. YMMV, surely.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well I'm finally recovered from Axpona and truly enjoyed the tapes played in the Magico/CAT room. I've always liked the S5 and the new edition is that much better. Magico is headed in the right direction with the "S" series!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well I'm finally recovered from Axpona and truly enjoyed the tapes played in the Magico/CAT room. I've always liked the S5 and the new edition is that much better. Magico is headed in the right direction with the "S" series!

Bruce, are you speaking as an audiophile or as a recording engineer? Or does it make a difference? I would think that the Q series, which I think is more transparent and neutral than the S series, would serve the recording engineer better.

For the audiophile, I understand how it would come down to preference and which line's specific "voicing" one prefers. Do you think the S series sounds more transparent and neutral?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, are you speaking as an audiophile or as a recording engineer? Or does it make a difference? I would think that the Q series, which I think is more transparent and neutral than the S series, would serve the recording engineer better.

For the audiophile, I understand how it would come down to preference and which line's specific "voicing" one prefers. Do you think the S series sounds more transparent and neutral?

Probably one of the problems is that I have never heard a "Q" series in a proper set up. It's always been at shows, as well as the "S" series. Maybe the "S" series is more forgiving of the placement? I don't know. I've heard the Q5 and Q7 many times and it always left me unimpressed. To me, they are uninviting. They don't pull me in and want me to listen to more, like the "S" series does.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Do you have a reference for that? I know they use similar drivers but Magico uses different part numbers for them:

I would like to see the S5 mid and S7 mid side by side. Or all the drivers for that matter. A different model # may also mean a very small design change.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I would like to see the S5 mid and S7 mid side by side. Or all the drivers for that matter.

A different model # may also mean a very small design change. The S7 has 3 woofers, so they might have opted for slightly shorter voice coil to get higher sensivity - all within the same design.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have heard Magico different models at various shows and at dealers. Never understood the hype.
But last Sunday at Stockholm Hifi show I heard s3 mk 2 making lovely music with d augostino pre and power.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I will add that they had a Oppo CD player as source. This was because of some logistic misshape.
Not exactly high end but as said the system played beautiful!

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard Magico different models at various shows and at dealers. Never understood the hype.
But last Sunday at Stockholm Hifi show I heard s3 mk 2 making lovely music with d augostino pre and power.

Hi Ulf,
D'Agostinos are probably the best SS amp that people usually pair their Magicos with. And it is very good sound. Yet to my ears, CAT is a much, much better option: less "sound" and more musical engagement! Nothing beats CAT's tube magic with modern designs like Magico, Vivid, etc.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi Ulf,
D'Agostinos are probably the best SS amp that people usually pair their Magicos with. And it is very good sound. Yet to my ears, CAT is a much, much better option: less "sound" and more musical engagement! Nothing beats CAT's tube magic with modern designs like Magico, Vivid, etc.

In your own personal opinion you mean ? As a counterpoint I find, for the most part, CAT somewhat harmonically overblown and tonally tunes beyond a straight wire with gain approach to the true recording, nothing wrong in that per say if this matches ones audio predilections, however I do not consider it particularly true to the source.

All individual opinions of course, I do become a tad prickly tho when individual subjective opinions are quoted as 'The True And Only Word'

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
In your own personal opinion you mean ? As a counterpoint I find, for the most part, CAT somewhat harmonically overblown and tonally tunes beyond a straight wire with gain approach to the true recording, nothing wrong in that per say if this matches ones audio predilections, however I do not consider it particularly true to the source.

Yes, of course. Everything is completely subjective in this hobby. It is kind of redundant to say "IMHO" after every sentence or post when discussing gear impressions, so I assume the subjectivity is understood.

As far as tastes and preferences go, I have no doubt that there are fights between Magico - D'agostino and Magico - Soulution owners about which combo is more "euphonic" or more "sterile" or more "accurate".

Yet it is too bad that so few people have heard Magico - CAT so they may decide for themselves. Something like CAT may really help expand the Magico brand to a wider audience

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Didn't they use to share a webpage with Aries-cerat or something?

Searching for CAT amplifiers online is maddening... good luck finding anything.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It’s weird but I couldn’t find CAT’s webpage.

Do they have a web page?

If you search for "convergent audio technology" you will immediately find plenty of interesting information, including many reviews.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Didn't they use to share a webpage with Aries-cerat or something?

Searching for CAT amplifiers online is maddening... good luck finding anything.

Ultimate brand exclusivity. Highly desirable in the luxury segment :)
Hearing them is well worth the search costs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing