Magico FINALLY finds Musicality!!! - Thanks to CAT Preamp and Monoblocks!!!!!!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
YW PeterA. Myles has an impressive system which is well balanced and sorted, incl: reference analogue sources. I agree that was a disappointing demo and didn't show what the S5 Mk2's can do, unlike Magico's room at Axpona in 2016 which knocked the ball out of the park.

Last edited:

purevinyl

Jan 7, 2018
Here are the Magico S5 Mk2's with Cat JL3 Statement mono's & CAT SL1 Legend preamp at the New York Audio Show, 2018. The source is an unknown cd player. Not the best setup unfortunately. My keen eye spotted the S5 Mk2's were still on their coasters, and the Cat mono's are just sitting on the carpet. Also no vinyl rig, room treatments or power conditioner :eek:. Still the quality and synergy of the S5 Mk2's with CAT amps shines through in the video.

Nice Video!

even with a bare minimum setup or maybe lacking a better setup (S5 on spikes and amps on good stands) they still sound great!

imo: at the 2018 RMAF the CAT room with the Magico S5's, sounded better than the M3's setup in the SR room and the M3’s in MSB room...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhi

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
At 2018 Axpona I was enjoying the Cat & Magico room when a gentlemen sat beside me and after a few songs commented on how colored the sound was, and how the speakers were no good, etc... In a polite manner I said that’s interesting cause I don’t hear these things you describe...

He asked what setup I have, and first words I spoke were Magico S3’s and he apologized for the rough comments.. no offense taken, it’s what I like. I followed up with, out of curiousity, what room would you recommend and the reply was the Tidal room with their speakers and electronics. I paid a visit to this room, listened to 3 songs and couldn’t wait to leave as it was clearly not my cup of tea.

The above is why I so enjoy this hobby, aside from the love of music which is something the majority of us share in common.

Reactions: RussR and Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Nice Video!

even with a bare minimum setup or maybe lacking a better setup (S5 on spikes and amps on good stands) they still sound great!

imo: at the 2018 RMAF the CAT room with the Magico S5's, sounded better than the M3's setup in the SR room and the M3’s in MSB room...
That underscores my belief that, save unless you've got silly money to spend on the M6's, the S5 Mk2's are 'good enough'. You can just keep building around them, and they will continue to improve. I always look for good high end value, and I reckon the upcoming Vitus SIA-030 integrated should be just about ideal driving the S5 Mk2's without spending silly $$ :cool:.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If your audio dealer can lend you a PS Audio P20, you shall be ...
Hehe
Interesting...i tried the old PS Audio reference unit perhaps 10 years ago. Much has no doubt changed and likely improved. How do you compare the P20 to other big units...Shunyata, Isoclean, even Tripoint? Most intrigued...
Hi CKKeung...just following up on this. Have you compared the PS Audio P20 to other power isolators/conditioners/regenerators? One member here preferred it to the big Gigawatt and Denali, and was just curious as to any other experiences out there. Thanks for any insights!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung...just following up on this. Have you compared the PS Audio P20 to other power isolators/conditioners/regenerators? One member here preferred it to the big Gigawatt and Denali, and was just curious as to any other experiences out there. Thanks for any insights!

It's not easy to compare large-size power-conditioners directly.
For direct comparison, I did compare P20 vs P10 and P20 vs AQ Niagara 7000.
I also listened to many other brands/models of power-conditioners too but comparison against P20 is by memory only.

WBF members are using diff brands/models and I don't want to raise a war.

I will only say that IMHO P20 is the most all-rounded power-conditioner and if size or price of it are concerns, Shunyata Denali D6000T/D2000T are my second choices.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing