Magico M9

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I wanna leave it at that cannata , its not really interesting / relevant to the thread .

I hope i ll hear the M 9 s / M 6 in munich next year
We spent some time trying to clarify that for you. It would have been nice of you to just say, “I stand corrected,” and not blame others for "the confusion"...
now we can move on

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure. Makes sense. It seems we all have that personal tipping where a technology / experience we didn't like in the past but now like.

From a business perspective, do you think the horns are just too huge for people's living spaces, so they aren't getting the buzz these M9s are? Or do you think most people have been acclimated to like the box speaker sound? In comparison, at $500K vs. $750K, the Magico horns are a "bargain" compared to the M9s. :)
Caesar, it's too bad the one guy who could have told us how great the Ultimates are/were, has gone MIA (previous member Stereo).
He had just bought his fourth Pacific Microsonics DACs (yes, four!) and his bulletproof Israeli army approved server (serious business, this bleeding edge audio malarkey).
Maybe he tripped and fell down the Rabbit Hole, w Alice.

Reactions: PeterA and Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
We spent some time trying to clarify that for you. It would have been nice of you to just say, “I stand corrected,” and not blame others for "the confusion"...
now we can move on

FYI as you obviously didn t bother to read the link in my previous post.
Do you see any gain mentioned here ???

1638038811769.png

Reactions: ddk

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Caesar, it's too bad the one guy who could have told us how great the Ultimates are/were, has gone MIA (previous member Stereo).
He had just bought his fourth Pacific Microsonics DACs (yes, four!) and his bulletproof Israeli army approved server (serious business, this bleeding edge audio malarkey).
Maybe he tripped and fell down the Rabbit Hole, w Alice.
Maybe after all the years he fell and got lost somewhere in the entrenches :eek: it’s a veritable blood sport Marc.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I just hope Alice is pleasant company for him. These Rabbit Holes are pretty deep.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
active XO may or may not have voltage gain
Well dear magico lover :)
With your reasoning you can call every X Over an active X over .
How would you call a wilson sasha DAW with interchangable resistors on the back then??
With your reasoning thats also a LS with an Active X over ?
There are also many LS designs with a potmeter on the back to regulate tweeter output/level

Its simple when there is a gainstage then its called active , no gainstage its a passive

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Well dear magico lover :)
With your reasoning you can call every X Over an active X over .
How would you call a wilson sasha DAW with interchangable resistors on the back then??
With your reasoning thats also a LS with an Active X over ?

I am a lover of insanity before anything else...

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Sure. Makes sense. It seems we all have that personal tipping where a technology / experience we didn't like in the past but now like.

From a business perspective, do you think the horns are just too huge for people's living spaces, so they aren't getting the buzz these M9s are? Or do you think most people have been acclimated to like the box speaker sound? In comparison, at $500K vs. $750K, the Magico horns are a "bargain" compared to the M9s. :)
The U-9's have not been in production for several years now. I don't remember exactly when production stopped but at least 5 years ago. To my knowledge they will not be produced in the future.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I had always thought that previous Magico speakers were more viable commercially then the ultimate horns. But now with the M9 and the amplifier requirements, I’m not so sure.

I would love to hear the M9 and the ultimate three in the same room paired with appropriate amplification. Size and cost are now much more similar. And if you could add his Titan subs to the horn you got close to the price of the M9 I guess. No idea which he himself considers his masterpiece.

Edit: I now see that Cesar started a thread about these two speakers before so much of this has already been discussed and quite a few people unsubscribed from that thread so it’s a contentious subject. Pardon me for commenting.
It doesn't really matter, the U9s are no longer in production but the M9s are. The power requirements of two stereo amps to driver the M9s is not so outlandish. I actually think it's very reasonable for this type speaker.

No one that I have talked to about seriously purchasing M9s thinks that even four monos is a big deal, IF they have the room. Two stereos is no larger a footprint or even more costly than a set of regular mono amps.

Reactions: PeterA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
  • Haha
Reactions: rando

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
And stumbling over gear is surprisingly dangerous :p
Wasn’t too long ago that in the UK at least a pair of Isobariks and six Naim 135 monoblocks was considered aspirational. While I'd have to win a lottery to own a pair of M9s (and a house to put them in) I think the architecture is really solid when considering technology behind an all out SOTA loudspeaker

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, now you're talking. My dream system as a teen in the 80s was a fully loaded active Isobarik/Naim 6-pack and in my student days in the 90s, a fully loaded active Naim DBL/Naim 6-pack.
Too bad I was as poor as anything back then.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Folks, I will say that i didn't spend much of my time taking videos as I actually wanted to listen to the speakers more. Having said that here's another short clip.:)
Thank you! I don't think my MacBook Pro did that justice but very nice to see/hear.

Question for everyone here:
Can larger speakers such as this produce the same pinpoint imaging of a smaller speaker?
(if set up correctly, including the room)

Would a singer (or a violin etc) sound any taller, wider, etc on a larger speaker?
Would the larger speaker sound any less intimate playing, for example, a small jazz or classical ensemble?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you! I don't think my MacBook Pro did that justice but very nice to see/hear.

Can larger speakers such as this produce the same pinpoint imaging of a smaller speaker?
Easily if that's what you want!
Would a singer (or a violin etc) sound any taller, wider, etc on a larger speaker?
Good large speakers with a proper system should be capable of realistic life size scale specially for smaller ensembles. Of course the recording and room has something to do with it too.
Would the larger speaker sound any less intimate playing, for example, a small jazz or classical ensemble?
Not at all if the speakers are properly designed, if anything larger speakers with their more realistic scale can be more intimate but a lot of that depends on electronics and room.

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Size does matter :)

With a large well designed speaker you can just relax / lay back and be sure all the freqs that are on the recording will be reproduced / heard .
If the low freqs are not on the recording (less bass / scale ) the system will automatically scale down and sound small/ intimate .
If you are used to a large speaker there is no going back

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Size does matter :)

With a large well designed speaker you can just relax / lay back and be sure all the freqs that are on the recording will be reproduced / heard .
If the low freqs are not on the recording (less bass / scale ) the system will automatically scale down and sound small/ intimate .
If you are used to a large speaker there is no going back

I don't have large speakers, but my speakers have gotten progressively larger in my smallish room. Each step up was an improvement in scale and convincing sound.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing