Magico on the cover of Stereophile

I am, I am... darn it... and I asked back then for pictures of the S5 Mk 1, and am still waiting...

I'm not sure anybody cares anymore what ack thinks about the S5 mk 1 internal build. He has been arguing about this for months/years.

The story he wants to sell (which reads: the mid driver in the Magico S5 mk 1 worked in the same air volume as bass drivers) makes absolutely no sense from the technical point of view. With the amount of volume dual bass drivers are moving in each cycle, the mid driver would bottom out even at a very low volume.

One doesn't even need to put his hands on the S5, not to mention open it to prove his 'theory' is absurd. You can just look at the S5 mk 1 distortion figures published by Soundstage and German Stereoplay, which are class leading throughout the FR, even at very high volume.

I'm not sure anyone here but me ever removed the mid (or other) drivers from the S5 mk 1 (I did when my speakers went for a review in Polish AUDIO magazine).

He can equally well argue the world is flat. Nobody would care either. Just a waste of time.

Last edited:
Stand up and prove it. Magico themselves don't show the alleged enclosure you think there is in the Mk I.

A problem we do not have with Wilson's ... :D

Stand up and prove it. Magico themselves don't show the alleged enclosure you think there is in the Mk I.

I don't care. And anyone with at least very basic technical expertise, can read that from the distortion plots.

I don't care. And anyone with at least very basic technical expertise, can read that from the distortion plots.

I know you don't care, the question is CAN you. In fact, you may be the only person on the planet who might, over Magico themselves. We are all eyes and ears.

Could you get the same effect by enclosing the subs, and let the mid/tweeter be open?

Aha bluefox :D i see you own a magico S 5 mk 1 i assume , i don t exactly know what you mean .
You could however demonstrate quit easy that ack is wrong , just push the woofers together very gently backwards, couple of mm max , as you do that you should see the mid move forward if ack is right which he is not , but anyway .

Ps i dont take responsability for any wrongdoing :) off course it can only be done with a speaker which is not on power.
If you see the mid moving outwards stop, dont overextend it
It works better with a closed system , not that good with a bass reflex /open system off course .

Last edited:
I'm really puzzled why you are still dragging this. I have offered you a bet once - I was willing to go to my dealer and remove S5 mk.1 mid to prove you wrong (my S5 mk.1 have been already sold and I was awaiting the delivery of the S5 mk.2 at the time).

Of course, I have better things to do than arguing with an armchair engineer over the net, so I asked for a compensation for my time. I told you that If you win, I will send you a crate of single malt. And if I win - I was expecting YOU to send me said crate.

You never accepted my bet. For once, you had your a chance to put your money when your month was. You went mute when you read this, even though I've repeated my offer a few times.

And now, You are returning to this after a couple of months as if nothing happened ...

You really have no self respect.

Aha bluefox i see you own a magico S 5 mk 1 i assume , i don t exactly know what you mean .
You could however demonstrate quit easy that ack is wrong , just push the woofers together very gently backwards , as you do that you should see the mid move forward if ack is right which he is not , but anyway .

Ps i dont take responsability for any wrongdoing :) off course it can only be done with a speaker which is not on power.
If you see the mid moving outwards stop, dont overextend it
It works with a closed system , not very good with a bass reflex /open system off course
This test doesn't prove if the mid driver is sealed from the woofers. These drivers are all still connected to a crossover. By pushing in on the woofers you create a current through the crossover which will cause the midrange to move even if the mid is completely sealed in it's own sub enclosure.

Current from such a gentle slow move i dont think so, plus if a parallel x over is used (mostly the case ) disconnecting ls cables leaves the mid x over disconnected from the woofer x over section in absolute terms or at least it could be the case :)

+1

I have just pushed the woofer on my S5 mk.II and the mid stays put. It was the same on the S5 mk.I.

Leif S - can you point me out to any quality 3-way speaker where the 5" mid would work in the same enclosure as the big woofers ? I'm curious, 'cos I'm under impression we are discussing things that do not even exist.

All I know is I am NOT pushing on any driver. I already went through a spell a couple of years ago where I blew up the mids on both speakers by playing it too loud. :)

Anyway, I am very, very happy with the sound of my v1 S5 speakers.

Current from such a gentle slow move i dont think so, plus if a parallel x over is used (mostly the case ) disconnecting ls cables leaves the mid x over disconnected from the woofer x over section in absolute terms or at least it could be the case :)
That is completely incorrect. Would you really debate me on this lol:) The only way this would be correct is if the speaker had separate inputs for both the woofers and mid/treble drivers.

Yes you re right, only if it was a bi amp connection /seperate inputs i was right ( and they were not bridged ), thats why i added " could be the case later" , any way if a series filter is used you do have an open circuit , so please elaborate then how you think it will introduce a current big enough to move a mid range , then you also have the polarity issue it could swing in or out depends how its connected .
Point of the matter is , its an easy way to test it

Last edited:
+1

I have just pushed the woofer on my S5 mk.II and the mid stays put. It was the same on the S5 mk.I.

Leif S - can you point me out to any quality 3-way speaker where the 5" mid would work in the same enclosure as the big woofers ? I'm curious, 'cos I'm under impression we are discussing things that do not even exist.

Hello Elberoth,

I can't point out a manufacture using a 5" midrange specifically.

There has been several designs from manufacturers where believe it or not, the midrange driver shares the same air space with the woofers. We ourselves had a model that used this type of enclosure many years ago. We sold a lot of that model and it was extremely musical and forgiving. But there is certainly a lot more to the design in which a designer may consider this type of enclosure.

Hello Elberoth,

I can't point out a manufacture using a 5" midrange specifically.

There has been several designs from manufacturers where believe it or not, the midrange driver shares the same air space with the woofers. We ourselves had a model that used this type of enclosure many years ago. We sold a lot of that model and it was extremely musical and forgiving. But there is certainly a lot more to the design in which a designer may consider this type of enclosure.

Pls specify the driver arrangement you have on your mind.

Did your model was a sealed design with dual 10" woofers and a much smaller mid ?

I think we can both agree that this is simply not possible.

Pls specify the driver arrangement you have on your mind.

Did your model was a sealed design with dual 10" woofers and a much smaller mid ?

I think we can both agree that this is simply not possible.

No it wasn't. The woofer was a 7" driver, and the midrange driver was also a 7" driver. The cabinet was ported.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing