Marc's system

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Hi everyone, I have been more or less a lurker on this forum, but I wanted to share my system after my most recent updates.

A little about me, my name is Marc and I'm a software developer. I live in the Seattle area near Mike Lavigne, and as you can imagine, he is pretty influential on my journey and I feel extremely lucky to know him. I'm also very happy to know other local gurus Rex Hungerford and Ed DeVito.

I started out about 14 years ago with a modest B&W system, climbed that ladder with McIntosh gear, and eventually switched to all Audio Research and Wilson. Then I got obsessed with Esoteric and Shunyata products. These 4 brands have dominated my system for the last decade.

I mentioned that Mike is pretty influential...after hearing his system several times in the past few years, I decided that I really needed to double down on vinyl. It's something that I have had in my system but never treated it as my main source. Streaming and/or CD had always been my main source, and my N-01XD has been a fantastic partner in my rig. But Mike's vinyl is other-worldly and I wanted to see how far I could go in that direction.

I had considered a few different tables, but honestly none of them wowed me in the looks department other than some Acoustic Signature and TechDas models. I liked the Esoteric, it would have fit in with my system perfectly since I have always had Esoteric digital, but didn't know how good it might be, and thought it was out of my price range anyway. Then I talked to Michael Fremer and found that he was reviewing the Esoteric T1 and he raved about it to me (His review should be hitting your mailbox now). Right after that, I heard that Mike Lavigne had bought one and of course I headed straight over to his place to hear it for myself.

There is a whole thread on his acquisition of this table that I'm sure you all read. I was very impressed with the look and the sound in person. It went toe-to-toe with Mike's other tables and I was left impressed at how it really seemed to be a transparent slate that would be perfect for mounting multiple arms and carts on. But I still didn't think I could afford.

Well long story short, I sold some other prized possessions of mine in order to obtain my own T1. I could not be happier with the result. This thing really does seem like a transparent source, a blank slate to draw upon for any flavor sound you might like to have. Just add the right arm and cart and you can tailor it so well. At this time, I am using the stock arm and an Ortofon MC Diamond. This gives me extremely detailed and layered sound, but I am excited to see where i can take it in the future. I am eyeing a Kuzma Safir for next year.

I do not have a G1X clock like Mike, but I do have the older and lower model G-02X clock. I am clocking my N-01XD, my ethernet switch, and my T1 with it. It is a really great upgrade to any Esoteric product with a clock input. One day I'd like to get a G1X but for now, I am not suffering at all.

Another influencing factor...I decided the E-02 phono's MC input was not the best match for my cart's very low .02mv output, so I got the EMIA step up transformer on Mike's recommendation. It sounds fantastic!

Overall, my system is now firing on all cylinders and I am quite happy with what I have. Time to relax and buy some records!

Attachments

• 20230621_154514.jpg
    20230621_154514.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 20230801_210834.jpg
    20230801_210834.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 20230801_210912.jpg
    20230801_210912.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 216
  • 20230802_214656.jpg
    20230802_214656.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Marc!

Thank you for posting, and for telling us about your journey, and for the photos. Your room is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on the entire set-up!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Marc,

nice to see you posted about your system. i appreciate having a kindred spirit in the neighborhood.

over these last few years it's been fun to visit you from time to time, and hear the progress you have made in the realism and enjoyment level of your system. and most of the steps forward cost you very little. you have been very open to finding better sound, but being very thoughtful about the changes. congrats on owning a fine sounding system. and thanks for the kind words, sorry :rolleyes: to have caused you to spend money, hope it's returning enjoyment :) in kind.

congrats on the T1 and very happy it is making great music. agree it's a top level platform to take you as far as you care to go in analog. and your system deserves such an outstanding source.

cheers,

Mike

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, apropos of friends being "bad" influences, have you considered the Alexx V? (I credit that new midrange driver, which debuted on the XVX, for being what turned me around on Wilson Audio.)

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Marc, apropos of friends being "bad" influences, have you considered the Alexx V? (I credit that new midrange driver, which debuted on the XVX, for being what turned me around on Wilson Audio.)
Dammit Ron, I just said that I wanted to relax and buy records! Hahaha. To answer your question, I sure do like the new Wilson sound, but I don't dislike the last generation either. The only way I was able to afford the Alexx I have was to get it at a drastically reduced price after the V came out. I simply cannot afford the new version at this time. I never say never, but as I've progressed in this hobby, there are some other brands I also have become interested in. I might explore one of those, I just don't know.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Welcome Marc! Your system and room look great,...congratulations on the new T1!

Reactions: 2fastdriving

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Your rig looks fantastic… and of course having had the ARC monos and, in my case, the REf10 feeding Alexias, I have a hint how great your rig must sound. Congratulations on the new table, it fits in perfectly and I’m sure it doesn’t suck! :p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
From one Marc to another, glad the shared name is in good hands.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Marc,

I got a small preview of your setup yesterday, but to see your complete system now with your new T1 turntable, makes me smile.

Your room looks absolutly amazing and I am very happy for you. Once again congratulations to your new turntable ;) !

Cheers

/ Jk

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations on your T1 perches, and thank you for sharing your audio path story.

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Marc,

I got a small preview of your setup yesterday, but to see your complete system now with your new T1 turntable, makes me smile.

Your room looks absolutly amazing and I am very happy for you. Once againg congratulations to your new turntable ;) !

Cheers

/ Jk
Johan, glad I got to meet you through this forum! I was super close to pulling the trigger on the same table you enjoy. You've got a great setup, congrats man!

Reactions: Johan K

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Welcome Marc! Your system and room look great,...congratulations on the new T1!
Thanks Mark! You've been a great friend and ally, helping me during my journey!

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Johan, glad I got to meet you through this forum! I was super close to pulling the trigger on the same table you enjoy. You've got a great setup, congrats man!
Thank you Marc for your kind words, I really appreciate that. I’m glad that we met too. Always nice to talk to you whether it is music, hiend audio gear, bodybuilding or what ever… It seems we always have some interesting topics to speak about, when ever we talk.

Now for your exitement: Remember that your T1 is going to increase it’s performance every day the next coming 2-3 month… trust me.. ;) . Just wait for the grand slam.. hehe!!

Kindest Regards

/ Johan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for coming out of "the shadows" and sharing about yourself and your system. Looking forward to more posts from you :)

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Marc has a heck.of a setup. I have heard it a few times. Marc's setup plays as good as any stereo out there.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
WOW! Now that's the way to drive the Alexx V's! Beautiful system.

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
WOW! Now that's the way to drive the Alexx V's! Beautiful system.
Thanks Scott, but unfortunately I don't have the "V", I have the original. Still a great speaker!

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Marc has a heck.of a setup. I have heard it a few times. Marc's setup plays as good as any stereo out there.
Thanks Rex, I was really glad to have you over recently!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Thanks Scott, but unfortunately I don't have the "V", I have the original. Still a great speaker!
With that room and gear who cares.....very trivial detail!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing