Mark Levinson HQD

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One shop in Italy has a perfect restored Mark Levinson System with 2 pair Quad 57,Tweeter Decca and sub Hartley, 76 cm.

I Listen in Paris show around 1982/83 with 6 ML 2,pre ML 6B and LNC2

It was one of my best listening in my life,i remember.
Ask 12.000 euro

A lot of time i was thinking to this system ,now this is materialized.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You bought them?

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
If you haven’t yet......go for it........one of the all time great speaker systems......

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My dear Tang,
i saw half an hour ago and cannot buy because now shop is closed

But i will not buy because already spent too much for hifi.
With this speaker you have to buy 3 amp and crossover because have triamped.

I already have idea to don't spend a lot
3 First Watt J2 and 2 crossover 2 way each First Watt B4,

But.......

Shop is AUDIOANTIQUARY.COM

He has also Quad 57,2 pair of Beverage,Dalquist DQ 10,Stax ELS 6,always fantastic things.

Owner of this shop ask me if i sell my Quad corner ribbon

You can buy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is not believable - if it was not for the distance I would be the first in the queue tomorrow morning!

Just for the pleasure of going back forty years - I helped a friend to assemble and set this system. IMHO you have to spend ten times more to achieve such scale and sound quality - although reliability and service can be an issue with such system, the ML LN2C modules are epoxy sealed.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
One shop in Italy has a perfect restored Mark Levinson System with 2 pair Quad 57,Tweeter Decca and sub Hartley, 76 cm.

I Listen in Paris show around 1982/83 with 6 ML 2,pre ML 6B and LNC2

It was one of my best listening in my life,i remember.
Ask 12.000 euro

A lot of time i was thinking to this system ,now this is materialized.
I worked back then at Lyric Hi Fi In NYC and we had the HQD in the back room.
Although I had fond memories there are so many better systems IMHO that have come along since. We replaced that with the IRS which blew peoples minds so much that we sold so many that they were back ordered for almost 2 years. I think that speaker development has far surpassed that system however people have a fascination with Quads and I understand why. They are not however for all kinds of music and for all sizes of rooms. On certain items they are marvelous on others they fry.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Gian,

save your money for the Gobel cables. then you get to keep the good stuff you have now and make it better.....rather than having something that will never live up to your memories.

it's good to have those memories.....and live for today.

i miss the Lamm ML3's i had last year. but then i listen to what i have now and smile.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I heard and helped set up several HQD systems way back when. They looked and often sounded impressive at first but I never really cared for them -- the drivers did not blend well, the big Hartley's were often more boom than tight deep bass, and the little Decca needed to be more of an array IMO. Too many people didn't set them up well and comb filter effects messed up the image. I too thought the IRS was better integrated and more musical. Better left in memory, at least for me...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing