MBL....The Music Lover

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The only thing funny in that video to me was the silly CDP.

But I think we know why they made this... people hear different things in music and are not always sure what they are hearing.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think it’s very interesting that MBL made this video!

But I thought it was going to be a lot simpler: I thought the lady outside would think that the man inside had musicians playing in their living room.

I’m not sure I understand entirely the video. It wasn’t a “is it live or is it Memorex” situation, because all that was happening was that the guy was hearing reproduced his stereo a sound that actually was in the recording. :oops:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Rom, the idea is that he could hear the stick break on the recording but the CD seller could not. The guy thought the disc was bad, or something. He couldn’t figure it out so he went to a live performance to hear an unabated version of the performance. At the performance with front row seats, he discovered that the end of the piece has the conductor breaking his stick, as the piece was intended. He was relieved to find out he was suppose to hear it, and simply others couldn’t presumably because they don’t have an absurd CDP.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A-ha! Thank you, Folsom. I found it a little confusing because in the beginning of the video a twig breaks outside so initially I thought it was about the guy inside not knowing whether he was hearing a stick break on the recording or outside his living room window.

That video is a lot of effort to show that a $1 million stereo system manifests more detail than a CD boom box!

I think I like my simpler concept better.

PS: That living room needs some acoustic absorption! You don’t want to put MBLs in a highly reflective room.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Micro detail status object du jour. It is kind of funny, though, most audiophiles will look at the surroundings and think that they are not optimal in setup, which was my thought as well.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
MBL’s have to be great pinned against a wall if they cost $1m...

I agree, I got tired of it too. The funny thing is that you can probably hear the stick break on lots of stereos - like in your car. Now make an argued for timbre, how real the break sounds...

Btw he opened the window system to check if it was something outside. If he could hear it more clearly he’d know where it was coming from, if not the stereo.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
A german attempt at marketing and humor ! Sometimes it does not translate :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing