MC-754 intermittent dead channel issues

brad944911

Mar 23, 2020
Guys,
New here but not entirely to audio...I can't stop tinkering. At any rate, I've always dug the McIntosh gear and I just picked up a pair of MC-754's that are in GREAT physical shape but are giving me problems. The amps have no power switch so I use the switched preamp 120V to activate a power relay to supply AC. At turn on, with LOW volume input and gains set at about 1V, at least one channel will either cut in and out(making noise) or not play at all. If allowed to sit and "run" for about an hour, turning up the input(volume) or switching the impedance switch will cause the channel to start playing and it acts fine UNTIL the amp power is turned off then back on, then it reverts. I've had the amp in a repair shop in Tampa for about a month now and after 4 attempts all I'm being told is "I need a McIntosh pre-amp, the MiniDSP is no good...too low of output impedance/voltage." The repairman soldered a resistor in the input path(on the RCA's) to correct a 40KHz "high current oscillation" that he felt was the problem...no good...same problem. I connected not only an iPod but my Yamaha preamplifier DIRECTLY to the Mc(no miniDSP) to totally a different set of speakers...SAME results. Anyone out there had this? What was the fix? I've heard output relays but have NO idea where to start.
FYI, the system is: Turn table, DVD, TV>>Yamaha Rx-V750(pre-amp out RCA unbal)>>miniDSP 2x4 Balanced--OUTPUT 1(Bal)>>Crown XLS-1002>>subs, OUTPUT 2(Bal)>>Crown XLS-1002>>woofs, OUTPUT 3(unbal)>>McIntosh 754(L)>>mids, OUTPUT 4(unbal)>>McIntosh 754(R)>>highs. FYI, the minDSP unbalanced outputs are switchable between 2 and 4volts. I switched them to back and forth to no effect.
Help!!! :rolleyes:
Brad

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing