Meet Pete, Our New Foster Dog

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thank you, everyone!

Day 3 Update: 28 pound cocker-poo Princess Lola continues to intimidate 55 pound pit bull Sweet Pete.

Pete finally took some solace in shoe-horning himself into Lola's bed in the living room, while Princess Lola sleeps with us upstairs.

View attachment 61259

The poor guy needs a bigger bed, his own bed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, there are exceptions to every breed out there. I've never met a pitbull that wasn't a family dog and friendly to other dogs. One I met would kill cats but that was it. But out of all the other dog breeds I've met there is on occasion one that is just mean and nothing occurred to make it that way. There is some what of a luck of the draw factor. A pitbull may have predisposition to wanting to fight other animals but I've never seen one that didn't get over it. In fact all the ones I've ever met were 100% worthless at guarding anything but direct family members (maybe, never proven, just hoped) and big push overs with everything else.

I'm sorry you had a bad apple. My grandfather had to put down his beloved Doberman because it bit his granddaughter one day... (not because it ate the neighbors cat) Some dogs just just don't fit into society. I guess they are no different than people in that regard!

My whole point is my dog was NOT a bad apple, he was exactly like the breed is bred to be, he was a near perfect example of the breed and won some awards at dog shows.

Pits are bred to FIGHT. If you have a pit that is not dog-aggressive, then you have a rare dog. Or you have one that is bred differently than breed standard. I'm not sure you realize, but the other side of the coin regarding putting human-aggressive pits down, is they also put down dogs that were not GAME. That means if the dog wasn't eager and willing to fight and NEVER GIVE UP, it was put down too.

So if you get a REAL pit bull, that's what you have. They are literally killing machines, even the small ones will rip up other dogs like nothing, they are far stronger than most other breeds and even smaller humans don't stand a chance. They must be handled in different ways vs other dogs and require an owner that actually understands what I've just said. As an example, if coyotes are stupid enough to target a pit, the pit will generally just start killing them and the coyotes usually have no chance, they will be killed one after the other until they give up.

These days many pits are bred for looks and not to be fighting machines, but the truth is the genetics are there, and may be activated in the same way as that girl in the 1st episode of Star Trek Picard that just came out.

What you think about pit bulls is your fantasy, sorry but it's this kind of attitude about pits that leads to trouble, because it's simply not reality.

Reactions: paolo

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka is not skeptical, but I am a little bit of skeptical of pit bulls as a breed, for the reason you suggest.

Pete has now encountered about nine different dogs since we got him here on Saturday afternoon. In each case he is very curious to run over and sniff the other dog, but after a few seconds of sniffing he loses all interest and walks away.

Lola, let me tell you, has been quite the snooty-snogger, as is her want, and he has been very deferential to her.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Folsom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And the couch . . .

93C7468B-7FE4-4DA1-B6B0-AEE97514CF1F.jpeg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Pete has his own bigger bed, Bob, but he prefers Lola's little bed.

View attachment 61266
Ron

Can I politely say that I would never put my dog in a cage and lock that door.

Pete needs to socialize but he looks so sad. Buy him a bed big enough and put it beside Lola's bed which is in your bedroom. Don't segregate him but rather integrate him

Dogs love sofas so good for him taking advantage. Keep trying to draw him out of his shell.

Reactions: rando and NorthStar

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron

Pete needs to socialize but he looks so sad. Buy him a bed big enough and put it beside Lola's bed which is in your bedroom. Don't segregate him but rather integrate him

Dogs love sofas so good for him taking advantage. Keep trying to draw him out of his shell.

We agree!

We were ordered by the rescue to purchase a cage for him, so we did. We have violated their requirement to "crate train him" since day one.

So, as you see in the photo, the cage door has never been closed. Pete actually finds it comforting to relax in the cage sometimes apparently.

He is sad because he is in a lot of pain and discomfort from having a dislocated hip for the last three months. His surgery is scheduled for this Thursday.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Pete has his own bigger bed, Bob, but he prefers Lola's little bed.

View attachment 61266

I understand Ron; four dogs and three cats here ... they like different beds depending of the season, the couches always their favorites, and the food plates of their friends.
Pete is cute in the smaller Lola's bed, like asking equal love as his sister ... natural little ones instinct.

Pete on the couch is more like it...natural habitat.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ron

Steve is most certainly correct.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dogs actually like their crates if crate trained properly. They will go in them voluntarily, and once trained you can tell them to go to their crate and they will stay there without needing to close the door.

Allowing dogs on your bed or sofa is not a good idea, the dog should have it's own bed that is positioned BELOW your position, otherwise it can make them feel like they are on the same level as the alpha (hopefully YOU), which is bad. This isn't always the case, but it's very important to make sure the dog has no doubt that YOU are the alpha... this also means you don't let it through doors before you, and some other key behaviors that aren't necessarily obvious. If a dog has any ideas that it can exhibit alpha-type behavior and not be punished for it (not necessarily negative reinforcement), this will definitely lead to behavioral problems.

Most dog owners don't understand this, or understand how to read a dog's body language. You really need to learn pack dynamics, how dogs relate to the alpha, what is alpha behavior and how to firmly establish yourself as alpha. You need to be able to read dog body language, it's amazing to me how many dog owners think their dog is just playing when it's really exhibiting dominance or even getting into an attack posture. You need to recognize when the dog is behaving like an alpha and what it looks like when they are submitting, dog owners generally don't know.

So the idea you want to welcome a new dog by allowing it on your bed, sofa, not crate-training the dog, allowing it to display alpha behaviors or body language whether intentional or not, is a recipe for disaster... especially with a dog that is strong, has genetics that tend towards working or fighting, or is naturally an alpha, even if it's a female. The dog is going to see this as an opportunity to establish it's self as alpha, and this absolutely will make the dog far more likely to attack another dog or a person. You are NOT doing the dog any favors by allowing this behavior and furthermore, with certain breeds it's downright negligent. The dog is going to have a far better chance of successfully integrating into your life if it's sure YOU are the alpha!

Dogs are NOT people, and it's NOT in your or the dog's best interests to misunderstand this relationship.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Dogs actually like their crates if crate trained properly. They will go in them voluntarily, and once trained you can tell them to go to their crate and they will stay there without needing to close the door.

Allowing dogs on your bed or sofa is not a good idea, the dog should have it's own bed that is positioned BELOW your position, otherwise it can make them feel like they are on the same level as the alpha (hopefully YOU), which is bad. This isn't always the case, but it's very important to make sure the dog has no doubt that YOU are the alpha... this also means you don't let it through doors before you, and some other key behaviors that aren't necessarily obvious. If a dog has any ideas that it can exhibit alpha-type behavior and not be punished for it (not necessarily negative reinforcement), this will definitely lead to behavioral problems.

Most dog owners don't understand this, or understand how to read a dog's body language. You really need to learn pack dynamics, how dogs relate to the alpha, what is alpha behavior and how to firmly establish yourself as alpha. You need to be able to read dog body language, it's amazing to me how many dog owners think their dog is just playing when it's really exhibiting dominance or even getting into an attack posture. You need to recognize when the dog is behaving like an alpha and what it looks like when they are submitting, dog owners generally don't know.

So the idea you want to welcome a new dog by allowing it on your bed, sofa, not crate-training the dog, allowing it to display alpha behaviors or body language whether intentional or not, is a recipe for disaster... especially with a dog that is strong, has genetics that tend towards working or fighting, or is naturally an alpha, even if it's a female. The dog is going to see this as an opportunity to establish it's self as alpha, and this absolutely will make the dog far more likely to attack another dog or a person. You are NOT doing the dog any favors by allowing this behavior and furthermore, with certain breeds it's downright negligent. The dog is going to have a far better chance of successfully integrating into your life if it's sure YOU are the alpha!

Dogs are NOT people, and it's NOT in your or the dog's best interests to misunderstand this relationship.
Dave

I understand totally where you are coming from. However what I have read and seen about Pete and he is not an alpha male. Ron says he sniffs other dogs and loses interest.

cant disagree about your sofa comments however we have had a dog that was crate trained and would always go to his crate and we always left his door open. However with Stanley who has never barked at anyone let alone act badly to anyone, he has full rein of our house. He certainly loves the sofa but in the evening he goes upstairs to his bed which is in the bedroom. TBH we have never owned a dog as sociable as Stanley. I believe all dogs have their own temperament but I also believe that proper discipline and training yields positive results.
I just won’t ever crate a dog again. But that’s just me. I have a niece that has owned two pit bulls for the past 10 years and they are loving docile pets. They have full rein of her home as well and are always sleeping beside her on the sofa.
As the saying goes “there are no bad dogs only bad owners.“

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My tube rats know who's the boss. But they also have very selective hearing.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave

I understand totally where you are coming from. However what I have read and seen about Pete and he is not an alpha male. Ron says he sniffs other dogs and loses interest.

cant disagree about your sofa comments however we have had a dog that was crate trained and would always go to his crate and we always left his door open. However with Stanley who has never barked at anyone let alone act badly to anyone, he has full rein of our house. He certainly loves the sofa but in the evening he goes upstairs to his bed which is in the bedroom. TBH we have never owned a dog as sociable as Stanley. I believe all dogs have their own temperament but I also believe that proper discipline and training yields positive results.
I just won’t ever crate a dog again. But that’s just me. I have a niece that has owned two pit bulls for the past 10 years and they are loving docile pets. They have full rein of her home as well and are always sleeping beside her on the sofa.
As the saying goes “there are no bad dogs only bad owners.“

Sure, if you have a dog that never exhibits alpha behaviors and is a content beta, then you are lucky and don't have to worry about a lot of things an owner of a dog that tends towards alpha does.

There are no bad dogs but there are certainly dogs that don't fit in with their owners lifestyle as a result of poor training, and most dog owners are clueless about how to interpret their own dog's behavior, add these two things together and this is why dogs are given up to shelters or exhibit violence towards other animals or people.

Also, crate training is one of the best ways to avoid having to use negative reinforcement when training a new dog or puppy. Not all dogs may require it, but there is a good reason almost all professional dog trainers recommend it these days.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Alpha behavior can be obviated by having the dog fixed at a proper age

Sometimes...

Some dogs just tend towards alpha and are not content betas. Shelters are full of them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My little boy wants to be an alpha when he's around bigger dogs than himself. They don't even notice! But with me it's incessant licking to show he wants to be my subordinate in such a way I'll never leave the house.

I'd say more of the dogs in the shelters find themselves being the alpha with the family they leave but don't want it. They're confused because the owners don't know how to provide any structure.

Reactions: DaveC

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My little alpha

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing