Merging releases Pyramix 8.1

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Today, Merging Technologies released Pyramix version 8.1, supporting DSD sampling rates up to 11.2MHz. This release also enables Horus owners support of DSD and DXD recording and playback, and DXD editing. Before this release, Horus was limited to 192KHz operation.

Also, an interesting exchange to many here appeared on the Merging Forum site:

http://forum.merging.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9874

where it was pointed out that 2L had examples of DXD and DSD formats to sample. Below is a response from stephanc:

Re: DXD or DSD that is the question
by stephanc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:17

Morton's/2L's test bench is an excellent idea and very interesting!
But be aware that DSD derived from DXD will sound different than a native DSD recording. DXD with 24 Bit might cover well the data rate of DSD, even 128fs DSD. But it is a filtered signal. Further, from my experience, (down)converting from any format into another means a considerably audible effect by the SRC algorithm, even if it is Hepta or Saracon. In the end, it's difficult to say: "This format sounds superior to that format", unless one records natively within the formats.

While there seem to be few reasons (from a technical point of view) to work in DSD besides using it as an archive format, I have to say that I am totally addicted to the sound of DSD, since the first recordings I listened to. I always prefered it over DXD or lower FS PCM, and had quite a few situations where musicians compared a PCM format to DSD and chose DSD, without knowing what they were listening to. Needless to say it was the same setup, converter, clock, etc.

I always found the manual for the Grimm AD1 converter to give a nice and profound insight of DSD. Chapter 3 is of interest.
http://www.grimmaudio.com/product_info/Manual AD1.pdf

As stated above, there are many theoretical reasons NOT to record in DSD, and after some years of recording in DSD, I still notice some very odd things. But in the end, the result is what counts. And for me and some other people here, recording in DSD is the way to go.
However, the combo before and behind the mic is far more important to the overall sound quality than choosing either format.
So, take a mic preamp with parallel outputs and try it yourself!

Best wishes, Stephan
Stephan Cahen

sempre la musica
International Recording Services
& Music Production

The important point is that the release of P8.1 now opens the possibility for professional recording using higher sampling rates than 64fs DSD, and the post processing opportunities that can bring.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing