ADC recommendation?

latestyle

Dec 31, 2021
Hello. Forgive me if this is a wrong section of the forum. I'm looking to archive my vinyl (and eventually R2R tapes) to DSD. It's been a while since I'd looked for an ADC, and through casual search, it seems that many DSD-recording ADCs have since phased out or have had mechanical problems (Emm Labs).

Can you guys share what options there might be? Playback Designs used to (or still does?) have one, and I know Merging has DSD-capable solutions as well, though the platform seems to come with a steep learning curve. All ears here - thanks!

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
I use the Playback Designs Pinot ADC. It does PCM up to 384k and DSD to 11.2MHz.
Comes with Sonoma software for recording the files. Paired with the Merlot DAC if you can find one, makes an incredible two track recorder.
aLLeARS here, your welcome. LOL!

Reactions: latestyle

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It all depends on how deep ($$$$) you want to get into this. If you are looking for stand alone recorders, then I would hope on flea-bay and get a Korg DSD-DAC-10R or any of the other Korg/Tascam units available.

aLLeARS suggested a great option as well. I've used the Pinot ADC and Playback Designs MPS-5 for playback with the Sonoma software.

If you want to go all out and record DSD above 1fs, then the only option is what I'm using.... Pyramix software with either the Hapi or Horus AD/DA.

I also have a thread describing Archiving Tape/Vinyl

You can maybe find other topics on what you're looking for here:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have had good luck with the Benchmark ADC, the SoundDevices 722 and 744, and the Korg gear for DSD.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks, everyone! @Bruce B Hapi/Horus seems so intriguing but makes me afraid of potentially a steeeep learning curve =D
Pyramix with Hapi/Horus is a steep learning curve. I've used it since '05 and have had no issues. The community is a great resource if you get into a bind. So far, it's been rock solid.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
It all depends on how deep ($$$$) you want to get into this. If you are looking for stand alone recorders, then I would hope on flea-bay and get a Korg DSD-DAC-10R or any of the other Korg/Tascam units available.

aLLeARS suggested a great option as well. I've used the Pinot ADC and Playback Designs MPS-5 for playback with the Sonoma software.

If you want to go all out and record DSD above 1fs, then the only option is what I'm using.... Pyramix software with either the Hapi or Horus AD/DA.

I also have a thread describing Archiving Tape/Vinyl

You can maybe find other topics on what you're looking for here:
Are some of your recordings on Tidal?

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I had great results with the Korg DS-DAC-10R and VinylStudio. I ripped my LP collection at 16/88.2 zero compression FLAC. I decided against DSD because of the superior metadata afforded by FLAC.

"Inside the DS-DAC-10R, you’ll find the same PCM4202 (made by TI) AD converter used in the MR-2000S 1-bit studio recorder. We have insisted on the same exacting quality as this recorder—which continues to be used in many professional studios."
https://www.korg.com/caen/products/audio/ds_dac_10r/

For even better performance, you could power it using an external linear power supply and a dual head USB cable, like this:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/products/u21?VariantsId=12982

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I had great results with the Korg DS-DAC-10R and VinylStudio. I ripped my LP collection at 16/88.2 zero compression FLAC. I decided against DSD because of the superior metadata afforded by FLAC.

"Inside the DS-DAC-10R, you’ll find the same PCM4202 (made by TI) AD converter used in the MR-2000S 1-bit studio recorder. We have insisted on the same exacting quality as this recorder—which continues to be used in many professional studios."

For even better performance, you could power it using an external linear power supply and a dual head USB cable, like this:
Why not 24 bit?

The double edged sword of formats with metadata: It makes your library much easier to organize, but they add some digital noise.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Why not 24 bit?

The double edged sword of formats with metadata: It makes your library much easier to organize, but they add some digital noise.
Doh! Yes, I used 88.2kHz, 24-bit.

My network sounds better playing ripped CDs than my CD transports through the same DAC, so I am not concerned about theoretical metadata noise.

I hava also compared .wav files to FLAC on several occasions and heard no difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022

How did DSD rips compare to PCM?

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
How did DSD rips compare to PCM?
I couldn't see any technical reason for recording above 24/88.2, and I couldn't hear any difference between my 24/88, 24/192 and DSD test recordings. It is my firm belief that 24/88.2 captures everything there is on an LP. I used 88/24 uncompressed FLAC for great sound quality, reasonable storage and tagging capabilities.

Vinyl Studio is brilliant software but it does not work well with DSD. It's kludgy, and a big problem for downloading track separations, song titles and album covers. I rejected the idea of recording to DSD due to the above, and because DSD has no ability to remove clicks and pops without PCM conversion.

I don't believe in the mystique of DSD. IME, good recording and mastering trumps format any day. I have poor and great recordings in 16/44, 24/192, and DSD.

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
PS - I ripped my vinyl collection in 2017. It took a whole year, because unlike a CD, you have to copy in real time, find your particular version of the LP, set your recording level, then adjust the track separations. Click and pop removal, if desired, is quick for a normal LP, but takes some time for bad spots. On average, I would say allow just over an hour per LP.

I chose 88.2kHz over 96kHz to avoid interpolation when making a CD from one of my LP rips. :rolleyes:
I have never made a CD from my LP rips, for myself or others. USB keys are awesome! I guess the good news is that 88.2kHz takes up less storage than 96kHz, with no sonic penalty.

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Doh! Yes, I used 88.2kHz, 24-bit.

My network sounds better playing ripped CDs than my CD transports through the same DAC, so I am not concerned about theoretical metadata noise.

I hava also compared .wav files to FLAC on several occasions and heard no difference.
One last question, how does Qobuz/Tidal sound compared to your file playback?

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
Any other ADC recommendations with XLR inputs $1000 or less?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Any other ADC recommendations with XLR inputs $1000 or less?
I haven't tried anything in that price range. Could look for an XLR to RCA isolator/ interface box like Jensen etc. and use the Korg described above?

Also, depending on what you are doing, a studio pci card for a computer DAW maybe ( if you have a suitable machine already )? Lynx can sound surprisingly good:

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017

The Korg would have been a possible candidate but there’s no “gapless playback“ and no XLR inputs.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
One last question, how does Qobuz/Tidal sound compared to your file playback?
I don't have either. I had compared Amazon Unlimited to files in my NAS and it was clearly not as good. I have since made a few upgrades to my internet chain, but the only subscription I have now is with YouTube Music.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
The Korg would have been a possible candidate but there’s no “gapless playback“ and no XLR inputs.
Gapless playback is a function of the server and streamer. The DAC simply plays what it is sent. My system (QNAP NAS, MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, exaSound PlayPoint) is gapless.

No XLR, but there are adapters to convert to/from RCA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing