Metal Mats

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
What make is the gunmetal mat? I have a Tenuto that I used all the time before I got my "Stefano" bronze platter but have been using an Auditorium 23 mat since as I think it sounds better. I'm interested to try the Microseiki copper mat and indeed the Shindo lead/fabric one as Stefano uses and rates both.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
TAKAI and it´s on top of Stefanos bronze platter and bearing
S now uses CU-500 which is Micro Seiki 2800g mat with Hiraga pigskin on top

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Thank you. I have tried to source a Hiraga pigskin mat in the past but they seem to be unobtainable. I do have an Audiosilente suede one which should be similar though. I will look out for a Micro Seiki mat, I think there is a repro one being made in the Netherlands at the moment if I remember right - Robin Wyatt is a big fan of them.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I have 2 original MicroSeiki CU-180 and can sell one
PM if interested
a Dane had an ad 3 years ago with Hiraga replicas
not sure if Simones suede is equal or even better

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can just order them new instead of having to hunt them down...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
true, but doesn´t necessarily get very cheap as a one off production unit
besides someone needs to make drawings or cad files and what material to choose...I sure wouldn´t go for ss IMO

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
true, but doesn´t necessarily get very cheap as a one off production unit
besides someone needs to make drawings or cad files and what material to choose...I sure wouldn´t go for ss IMO

Uh, na. For a mat it's pretty easy. You just say what material you want and the size and shape... It's pretty damn easy. If the guy I posted can't get the material he'll just say no. If he can he'll do it and he's extremely reasonable. The other mats posted in the thread cost more.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
The soundeck mat is highly recommended,
soundeck.co.uk

Attachments

• D62DAE4B-B8EC-445A-BB3A-8914D6117D75.jpeg
    D62DAE4B-B8EC-445A-BB3A-8914D6117D75.jpeg
    871.9 KB · Views: 25

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
No need to be, you get a 30 day trial period!

Meant to say that I had to change my regular record clamp to a different one, the mat actually sounded better without my regular clamp and then I tried another kind I had, and hey bingo! This combination is quite a noticeable improvement in all departments, quit surprised.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
got my first CU-180 today
placed it straight on the bronze platter and it dampens very well....will try that first because then I won´t have to change VTA since rubber/cork and CU-180 are both 5mm thick....
then test like on picture
exciting...
maybe I even try it on the Basis

View attachment 71393
It seems this should be at the bottom . Google translate that Japanese word

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A word of caution using heavy weight metal mats and record weights, the additional mass can wear out and damage your turntable’s bearing if it wasn’t designed to handle it.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A word of caution using heavy weight metal mats and record weights, the additional mass can wear out and damage your turntable’s bearing if it wasn’t designed to handle it.

david

I could have gone with a really thick one but didn't partly for that reason. Most turntable bearings are pretty robust to handle some extra weight. Obviously it would be silly to put a 30lb mat on one or such though.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I could have gone with a really thick one but didn't partly for that reason. Most turntable bearings are pretty robust to handle some extra weight. Obviously it would be silly to put a 30lb mat on one or such though.
Some are but not all, I’ve also noticed additional vibration with a few turntables due to the extra weight. In many instances between the the heavy mat and heavy record weight you could be doubling the platter mass I’m not sure how robust is a bearing designed for a 4-5kg or less platter. Just something for people to keep in mind, specially with older common tts like Garrard, Thorens and even Linn.

david

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my Garrard with heavy duty bearing and 13,5 kg bronze platter has addition 4kg gun metal mat and 1,8kg clamp...designed for it
on incoming is a Melco with 35 kg gunmetal platter, which has a bearing for that as well as a 6kg clamp

Reactions: ddk

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
my Garrard with heavy duty bearing and 13,5 kg bronze platter has addition 4kg gun metal mat and 1,8kg clamp...designed for it
on incoming is a Melco with 35 kg gunmetal platter, which has a bearing for that as well as a 6kg clamp
Melco- nice find ;)

Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing