Michael Fremer's home power-system story

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Imo, we stick any metal to audio component or electrical path, it will effect sound somehow. It is a matter of big or small delta and whether one likes the difference or not. I was not kidding that in this case a few guys found the sound fuller and the tone is richer. Don't know the idea behind it. Yes it is all by ears Mike. I thought it was funny but they heard the difference.
well, the audacity to think about using gold bars is very decadent meant in the most positive sense. a tip of my hat to them for out of box thinking.

we can and do argue/discuss tonal balance and microdynamic life/flow verses warmth. if you can get all the tone and all the life then that is the goal.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Kingrex and Fremer are kiddy play. This is how beyond the Thais go in their electrical panel. The sound is fuller and definitely richer than in the US. ;)

View attachment 95953
View attachment 95954
This is very upsetting. Are the gold bars on top of the breakers (top photo) the reason why Thai power circuits for their audio systems sound better? Rex did a masterful job re-doing my wiring and panel board from my mains to my audio room in March (post #646 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/alexx-v-arrive-in-nj.32990/page-33) but he did not include those gold bars! Gotta speak to him about that......:rolleyes:

Perhaps hiding gold bars in electrical panels is a clever trick Tang and other Thai audiophiles uses to hide wealth from government auditors? Whose going to look in an electrical panel? I will be speaking to my accountant about this technique shortly.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lol , I ve been informed Transparent sells a special tax evasion version of their higher echelon cables made for that particular purpose .
For everybody wondering where the cable boxes are for , there you have it.

Ps this is a joke

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is very upsetting. Are the gold bars on top of the breakers (top photo) the reason why Thai power circuits for their audio systems sound better? Rex did a masterful job re-doing my wiring and panel board from my mains to my audio room in March (post #646 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/alexx-v-arrive-in-nj.32990/page-33) but he did not include those gold bars! Gotta speak to him about that......:rolleyes:

Perhaps hiding gold bars in electrical panels is a clever trick Tang and other Thai audiophiles uses to hide wealth from government auditors? Whose going to look in an electrical panel? I will be speaking to my accountant about this technique shortly.
Hi Marty. I did enjoy your post #646 very much. I remember I have been following your electrical journey since when you were discussing sound of gold/rhodium receptacle long back. Are you still using Furutec? Over here the QSA and Jodelica are getting installed to the wall replacing Furutec a lot. QSA is a lot more expensive than Jodelica but people who have tested in their system could not resist buying after demo. ;)

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@Kingrex

I noticed in MF's first Pacific Audiofest video a brief mention was made of installing the new mains box of your own remanufacture. He will certainly be an interesting datapoint for considered thoughts on impact it has.

Have you managed/performed any other installs with this copper infiltrated box yet?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
@Kingrex

I noticed in MF's first Pacific Audiofest video a brief mention was made of installing the new mains box of your own remanufacture. He will certainly be an interesting datapoint for considered thoughts on impact it has.

Have you managed/performed any other installs with this copper infiltrated box yet?
I have one QO installed. It was a test project That unit does not have the copper main lugs or the dampening. But you can hear what all copper brings. I should swap out that panel for a fully complete and listen.

I have swapped copper in and out of my own panel. You can hear the benefit.

I have installed a few complete panels. QO and NQ. But those projects always came with other changes such as feeders or branch circuits. I have also put in a few fully custom panels. Including one at my house. Mine follows my Torus transformer. The others in the field were for complete room builds.

I need to get back with Michael. I shipped a panel to his place and flew out to do the install but came down with Covid.

I'm out of state now looking at jobs. I have verbals for a couple more custom panels, but they will come with a lot of other changes.

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Coming down with Covid will certainly get you uninvited from a guys home. Hope it goes well when you get back out there this next time.

Crom

Feb 11, 2016
I am looking into upgrading my domestic supply from single-phase to three-phase and given that the electricity supplier will need to upgrade the cable to the home, should I be worried that they might install aluminium? If so, I am wondering whether there is any compelling way of specifying the cable to have copper conductors?

I have often been looked at strangely by electricians in the past when I've made similar requests within the home ;-)

I'm in the UK by the way.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I doubt they will use aluminum wire in UK. Aluminum wire was mostly used in US. I never heard using aluminum wire in Europe.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I doubt they will use aluminum wire in UK. Aluminum wire was mostly used in US. I never heard using aluminum wire in Europe.
32 years ago I built a new house, here in the uk, with three phase, it was alu cable used then, as I remember quite distinctly , I remember too asking why alu was used and they advised it was cheaper !

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I recently did a major power overhaul out of necessity.

New mains panel and breakers
New 75’ underground upsized feeder cable (aluminum)
New fuses at my pole
New 150’ cable between my pole and upstream pole
New transformer on upstream pole

Everything replaced was outdated 55 year old parts in disrepair. You’d think there would be a shocking level of improvement based off Fremer’s experience. Not what I experienced at all. I noticed something being “different” but not much more than that. So little that after a couple listening sessions it’s all forgotten.

Reactions: Armsan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing