Microsoft Surface and Surface Pro

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This tablet, which comes in 2 versions, has captured my interest as it is much more than just an entertainment device. I've briefly tried a plain tablet before, but felt it wasn't much more than a pretty toy. Great for some people, but not my cup of tea as I'd like something with balls. I think the MS Surface has that and I'm looking forward to the launch next month (RT version) and early next year (Pro version).

Here are some pics:

MS Surface 1.jpgMS Surface 2.jpgMS Surface 3.jpgMS Surface 4.jpgMS Surface 5.jpg

They certainly look like interesting devices, for sure. I am still undecided if Microsoft's new Metro (sorry, Windows 8) interface is genius or whether it will alienate people in droves - like Vista. But for me, the biggest drawback is the low-res display. Apple's iPad 3 has set the bar with the retina display, and the new Windows tablet - which debuts more than half a year after the iPad - has half the resolution. The resolution is similar to the iPad 1, which I still own - it is pixellated as hell and a real strain on the eyes.

They certainly look like interesting devices, for sure. I am still undecided if Microsoft's new Metro (sorry, Windows 8) interface is genius or whether it will alienate people in droves - like Vista. But for me, the biggest drawback is the low-res display. Apple's iPad 3 has set the bar with the retina display, and the new Windows tablet - which debuts more than half a year after the iPad - has half the resolution. The resolution is similar to the iPad 1, which I still own - it is pixellated as hell and a real strain on the eyes.

I've never seen a Retina display in action, so I can't say, but I hear it's quite nice. I usually bypass the Apple displays as I really have no interest in their products. I'm a PC guy through and through. With regard to eye-strain, I've never luckily been affected by it so I'm sure the Full HD on the Surface will be sufficient for me.

iPad 1 and 2 - 1024 x 768 (132 ppi)
iPad 3 - 2048 x 1536 (264 ppi)
Microsoft Surface (ARM) - 1280 x 720 (139 ppi)
Microsoft Surface (nVidia) - 1920 x 1080 (208 ppi)
Google Nexus 7 - 1280 x 800 (146 ppi)
Asus Transformer TF700 - 1920 x 1200 (224ppi)

The Asus is the highest resolution non-Apple device out there, and is still beaten by the iPad 3. In reality the difference is difficult to distinguish, so I think 1200 horizontal pixels is probably enough for me. The nVidia powered Surface tablet might be good enough, but the thing is a damned brick at 903gm. In contrast, the iPad 3 is 652gm.

Like you, I am a dyed in the wool PC guy. I acknowlege that the iPad 3 is the best tablet out there, but there is no way I am going to give Apple any more money.

I care about ppi and weight because I use my tablet as a reader in bed. Anything which is too heavy will conk me on the head when I start to drift off :)

iPad 1 and 2 - 1024 x 768 (132 ppi)
iPad 3 - 2048 x 1536 (264 ppi)
Microsoft Surface (ARM) - 1280 x 720 (139 ppi)
Microsoft Surface (nVidia) - 1920 x 1080 (208 ppi)
Google Nexus 7 - 1280 x 800 (146 ppi)
Asus Transformer TF700 - 1920 x 1200 (224ppi)

The Asus is the highest resolution non-Apple device out there, and is still beaten by the iPad 3. In reality the difference is difficult to distinguish, so I think 1200 horizontal pixels is probably enough for me. The nVidia powered Surface tablet might be good enough, but the thing is a damned brick at 903gm. In contrast, the iPad 3 is 652gm.

Like you, I am a dyed in the wool PC guy. I acknowlege that the iPad 3 is the best tablet out there, but there is no way I am going to give Apple any more money.

I care about ppi and weight because I use my tablet as a reader in bed. Anything which is too heavy will conk me on the head when I start to drift off :)

LOL....no conking allowed! I understand what you're saying. Under those circumstances I'd be inclined to want a higher resolution display as well. I only do two things in bed and one of them in sleep...the other isn't reading.;)

The Surface Pro is the one I am considering, and I hope that our local Future Shop will have it as I still have a $500 Gift Card from them. I've been holding on to it (there is no expiry...I had that confirmed) as I knew my laptop is in need of replacement (6-yr old Toshiba).

Regarding Win8....I won't be upgrading my Dell desktop as I rather like Win7 and don't want to mess with it., but as a PC guy I'm going to have to move into the Win8 OS at some point. And frankly, I'm almost a bit excited to try it on the Surface.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing