Miscellaneous | History

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Seeing the NYC film, it is so clear how the technology of the automobile is displacing the horse and buggy (and so quickly). How many people had their jobs displaced by the change. Also notice how many people are wearing hats, and how many hat manufacturers must be out of business today.

Larry

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Seeing the NYC film, it is so clear how the technology of the automobile is displacing the horse and buggy (and so quickly). How many people had their jobs displaced by the change. Also notice how many people are wearing hats, and how many hat manufacturers must be out of business today.

Larry
I still wear a hat but I am not in favor of horses in NYC streets. Automobiles even smell better, imho.

Here's a nice report on the erstwhiile 3rd Avenue elevated line which, had it not been torn down in '50s, would have dominated the view from my apartment. In fact, I would not be here if the El was.
Progress is not without its side effects but it is better than stagnation.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Larry

I was thinking the same Larry; the evolution of the horse, tramway, car, ...
The paste of life was much slower 100 years ago.

As for the hats I noticed that right away from this photograph (from 2:21 to 2:31) from the video tube I posted in #5

And Kal still wears his.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
They still ride horses in the streets of New York City in the year 2019 don't they? You betcha ...

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

There is a big classical music connection to the Titanic. In 1912, the London Symphony (which was only 8 years old at the time) was scheduled to sail on the Titanic for their first American tour. However, the sister ship to the Titanic, the Olympic which had been launched earlier, was involved in a collision and the construction of the Titanic was delayed because of the accident and the needed repairs. The LSO was rescheduled on a different ship for their North American tour (led by the world famous conductor Arthur Nikitsch who had chosen the LSO over the Berlin Philharmonic which he also conducted regularly). They took the other ship and had a safe journey and tour.

When the Titanic was launched, it was the largest passenger ship in the world, holding about 2200 passengers and 900 crew with a gross tonnage of slight less than 50,000 tons. In comparison, the Queen Mary 2 (owned by the successor to the owner of the Titanic) holds about 10% more passengers, a third more crew, but weighs 3 times as much. Stability is much better as well as the ability to spot icebergs. Not a trivial problem with global warming and big chunks of ice floating into the sea lanes in the North Atlantic.

Larry

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I still wear a hat but I am not in favor of horses in NYC streets. Automobiles even smell better, imho.

Here's a nice report on the erstwhiile 3rd Avenue elevated line which, had it not been torn down in '50s, would have dominated the view from my apartment. In fact, I would not be here if the El was.
Progress is not without its side effects but it is better than stagnation.

All the people living in those apartments right beside the tracks; that must have been tough to adjust their turntables for good tracking, and also the room's acoustic treatments.
It takes nerves of steel to be an audiophile in those areas near the tracks

In that video he said that there was less vandalism in those years.

I had flashbacks of the film The French Connection (1971).

So you grew up in that area Kal, the reason of your wearing that hat.
_____

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I had flashbacks of the film The French Connection (1971).
AFAIK, that was in Queens.

As noted, I did not grow up in the area. I began wearing a hat to keep the sun off my otherwise unprotected scalp.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
AFAIK, that was in Queens.

Amazing car chase, totally nuts back in 1971. Today (almost fifty years later - 48) a filmmaker would need a permit. They were very lucky that they didn't end up in jail.

I've never live in New York Kal, only passing through by train.
I've never been in Queens, in the Bronx, in the big Apple, New Jersey, Brooklyn Bridge, ...

As noted, I did not grow up in the area. I began wearing a hat to keep the sun off my otherwise unprotected scalp.

I meant the view.
_____

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I meant the view.
Well, then, I am not sure what you are getting at. The picture you show is near the southern end of the line, near City Hall (second spire from the right). I lived and grew up in Brooklyn at the time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kal said:

It's very not important. Elevated trains were a way of moving around back then and almost everyone was wearing a hat. Today elevated trains are still with us (Chicago, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto) and we have subways and metro. Elon Musk is even developing a new underground way to travel in cities. ...The Boring Company.

You are a New Yorker for many years, the city of busy activity and traffic, including the horses in Central Park. Lots of history in New York.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing