Mixing Sealed Speakers With Ported Subwoofers, Ported Speakers With Sealed Subwoofers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it a problem to add ported subwoofers to a system with sealed loudspeakers? For example, adding Wilson Audio Master Subsonics or Submerges to Magico M6s or to YG Sonjas?

Is it a problem to add sealed subwoofers to a system with ported loudspeakers? For example, adding REL subwoofers or Gobel Sovereign subwoofers or Magico Titan subwoofers to Rockport Lyras or to Wilson Audio Alexx Vs?

What are the pros and cons of mixing loudspeaker and subwoofer designs in terms of sealed and ported versus matching loudspeaker and subwoofer designs?

Last edited:

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
If the DSP low frequency calibration tones are played through both your main speakers and properly positioned subwoofer/s simultaneously and the processing calibrates the subwoofer, any combination of sub and speaker should be excellent.

The only exception may occur with -6dB sub-bass systems.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Let's put DSP aside, as some people do not like DSP subwoofing.

Reactions: VPN

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Successfully combining ported subwoofers with sealed speakers or sealed subwoofers with ported speakers is feasible but necessitates attention to harmonizing bass outputs.

This approach extends bass capabilities and offers flexibility but poses integration challenges and potential sound clashes due to varying bass characteristics and room effects.

Achieving optimal performance will involve careful calibration, considering room acoustics, personal preferences, and dedicating time to fine-tune the system. Testing different placements and settings is crucial for seamless integration and superior sound quality.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
To me, the challenges of merging ported sub+sealed speakers or ported speakers+sealed subs are:
1) You may get phase cancellation from the port and sealed drivers (but even if you use sealed+sealed, and you place the subwoofer at the wrong spot or with the wrong setting, you can still get phase cancellation)
2) There could be a slight decoherence to the sound because ported and sealed bass sounds slightly different (although many people don’t notice it or even likes it, i mean that’s how ported speakers are to start with, the lowest bass is/sounds ported and the mid-upper bass is/does not)
I think as others have already said, if integrated properly, it should be fine.
Of course, what does “optimal” integration of subwoofer and speakers mean? That to me is the more complex and interesting question. Because I personally believe even that is quite subjective.

Reactions: Lagonda

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Is it a problem to add ported subwoofers to a system with sealed loudspeakers? For example, adding Wilson Audio Master Subsonics or Submerges to Magico M6s or to YG Sonjas?
Ported speakers (including subs) have compromised transient performance compared to a sealed enclosure, but there's no particular problem running a ported sub with sealed mains. The sub will sound as it always does.

The problem occurs at the crossover point. A ported speaker running full range has a natural 12dB Butterworth roll-off at the bottom end. If you add a sub with a fourth order filter, which most are, it will be acoustically behind the mains at the crossover point and will sound slow. There are three solutions:
1. Use a second-order low pass crossover on the subwoofer, at or near the main speakers' -3dB point
2. Roll off the main speakers at 12dB per octave at or near their -3dB point, and roll the subs in at the same frequency with a fourth order low pass crossover.
3. Move the sub closer to the listening chair to account for the delayed sound.
Is it a problem to add sealed subwoofers to a system with ported loudspeakers? For example, adding REL subwoofers or Gobel Sovereign subwoofers or Magico Titan subwoofers to Rockport Lyras or to Wilson Audio Alexx Vs?
This can get messy if the main speakers and subs are reproducing the same frequencies, because the sound from the ports in the main speakers is in opposite phase to the sub output, causing lumpy bass response. If you want to use ported mains, with any sub, ported or sealed, bring the sub in at the -6dB point of the mains, and use a fourth-order high pass on the sub.
What are the pros and cons of mixing loudspeaker and subwoofer designs in terms of sealed and ported versus matching loudspeaker and subwoofer designs?
It's all about the crossover. The transition from a woofer to a subwoofer should be treated the same way as the transition from a tweeter to a midrange. The target is a perfect Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley cross. If the mains are rolling off at 12db, 18dB or 24dB, roll the subs in with the same slope.

If you are rolling off sealed speakers with external crossover or DSP filters, you can use a second-order high pass on the mains at their -3dB point, creating a 4th-order Linkwitz Riley slope, which you would need to match in the sub's low pass filter.

If you are using an external crossover or DSP filters with ported mains, use a fourth order filter on both the mains and subs, but stay at least 1.5 octaves above the port frequency.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Ported subs may play "lower" but may be slower than the sealed subs. I say may be because it all depends on design, implementation and system integration. You can make an argument for both designs depending on use and personal preferences.

Last edited:

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
While nothing is absolute, I prefer my speakers and subs non ported in general. But if I had ported speakers, I would not mind sealed subs. But all that means is that I don't prefer ported subwoofers for music.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
The easiest combination is both subwoofer and speakers sealed.

Properly designed ported subwoofers with sealed speakers is not typically problematic either

If you have ported speakers, stuff something in the port to convert them to sealed, (regardless if the subwoofer is ported or sealed) to reduce the low frequency output of the speakers and reduce the risk of cancellations / phase issues in the crossover area.

So

1) Sealed speakers + Sealed subs = OK
2) Sealed speakers + Ported subs = OK
3) Ported speakers + Sealed subs = Seal the speakers with a wool sock or something = OK
4) Ported speakers + Ported subs = Seal the speakers with a wool sock or something = OK

If you have the ability to highpass the speakers and can allow the subwoofers to play higher up in frequency, this is generally beneficial as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Skywalker

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The issue with combining ported and sealed is about (more than likely) different phase responses at the crossover (and on both sides of the crossover), and sometimes, the only way to properly address that is with all pass filters - which means DSP is required.

There is, as usual, no free lunch.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
The issue with combining ported and sealed is about (more than likely) different phase responses at the crossover (and on both sides of the crossover), and sometimes, the only way to properly address that is with all pass filters - which means DSP is required.

There is, as usual, no free lunch.

Or doing what I suggested. :)

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada

Properly designed ported subwoofers with sealed speakers is not typically problematic either

If you have ported speakers, stuff something in the port to convert them to sealed, regardless if the subwoofer is ported or sealed to reduce the low frequency output of the speakers and reduce the risk of cancellations / phase issues in the crossover area.

So

3) Ported speakers + Sealed subs = Seal the speakers with a wool sock or something = OK
4) Ported speakers + Ported subs = Seal the speakers with a wool sock or something = OK

If you have the ability to highpass the speakers and can allow the subwoofers to play higher up in frequency, this is generally beneficial as well.
I agree with your approach. The only issue is finding a transparent highpass filter.

Reactions: sigbergaudio

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
Let's put DSP aside, as some people do not like DSP subwoofing.
When I read these product suggestions I misunderstood the question.

Wilson Audio Subsonic: control processor. Submerge and Lokie: DSP.
Gobel Sovereign: DSP engine and control.
Majico Titan: DSP Control Center.

All the best with your search.

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US

If you have ported speakers, stuff something in the port to convert them to sealed, (regardless if the subwoofer is ported or sealed) to reduce the low frequency output of the speakers and reduce the risk of cancellations / phase issues in the crossover area.

So

Brown, blue, or black wool sock? Knee high or will that over damp the output?

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Brown, blue, or black wool sock? Knee high or will that over damp the output?

I think knee high will be fine if you can fit it, and the color will be of limited consequence. The wool must be high-end wool of course.

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
I think knee high will be fine if you can fit it, and the color will be of limited consequence. The wool must be high-end wool of course.
Excellent response, thank you. As I can only afford 1 sub, I’m off to buy a single quality wool knee high sock to stuff the port of my left channel Wilson DAW as the sub is on the left.

Reactions: sigbergaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing