More Consensus That Streaming Is An Inferior Format & Not High End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 920+ posts and counting I have to ask, does anyone REALLY care what others post? Is anyone really going to change their feeling/belief?

This post is another example of why I steer my kids and friends away from this hobby. Just seems like more complaining than anything else.

With 920+ posts and counting I have to ask, does anyone REALLY care what others post? Is anyone really going to change their feeling/belief?

This post is another example of why I steer my kids and friends away from this hobby. Just seems like more complaining than anything else.

There is nothing wrong with spending money on hifi imo.
Just buy a nice system ( second hand ? )and listen to music on a high level ( stay away from magazines ( constant upgrade cycle) and expensive cabling )

So a thread starts with a typical "Paul PS Audio" video, along the lines "no, it's no good until you buy our product ... then it'll be great". Fair enough.

So I stream. Bought my first streamer 14 years ago. I listen to records. Both systems optimised to my idea of sensible. I enjoy them both. Next question?

Reactions: Long Live Analog
So a thread starts with a typical "Paul PS Audio" video, along the lines "no, it's no good until you buy our product ... then it'll be great". Fair enough.

So I stream. Bought my first streamer 14 years ago. I listen to records. Both systems optimised to my idea of sensible. I enjoy them both. Next question?
So you didn't address/answer anything I wrote. No need for a next question.

So you didn't address/answer anything I wrote. No need for a next question.
Does anyone care? I don't, but I've got valuable advice online on getting my domestic wifi and ethernet optimised.

I don't steer my kids to anything. One has a phone and headphones, the other has a phone, headphones, a stereo system with streaming and a vinyl collection. The turntable is a Mitchell Orbe hand-me-down from his girlfriend's father, the streamer an Aries Mini from me and the integrated amp a 1984 Claymore from a vintage hifi store.

Listening to music at home is a great hobby, especially as he paints and reads a lot. Being an audiophile can be fun as well. I find the nonsense snake oil side of things amusing rather than irritating. Being relatively poor and no trust fund has its advantages.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

The thread’s origin was just a fart bomb as the OP was closing the door on his way out.
Some of the recent posts though, whether they agree with one another or not, are interesting and have risen above the thread’s origins.

Some of us just enjoy the music and are not complaining at all. Maybe you need to look inside or just walk on by the arguments. Who cares life is short stop and listen to the music, no matter the format.

Oh I thought you were saying the albums listed as FLAC on Tidal were in fact MQA in disguise.

There is literally an official Qobuz downloader app on their website. And you can use plenty of others to download their files in high-res, bit-perfect flavor, complete with artwork, just like the labels send to Qobuz.

I use Qobuz to audition new music and to assemble a library with thousands of high-res albums, that would take me thousands of dollars to assemble buying separately.
I’m aware of that. I’ve bought quite a bit of music directly from Qobuz. I doubt that I have more than 10 or 15 Qobuz albums in my library at any one time. If I like it I buy it and then delete the online version from my library.

Some of us just enjoy the music and are not complaining at all. Maybe you need to look inside or just walk on by the arguments. Who cares life is short stop and listen to the music, no matter the format.
Hmm interesting comments. Not sure what looking inside has to do with me not taking any of the comments serious. Honestly I'm not sure many do.

Hmm interesting comments. Not sure what looking inside has to do with me not taking any of the comments serious. Honestly I'm not sure many do.
Okay,
This post is another example of why I steer my kids and friends away from this hobby. Just seems like more complaining than anything else

Okay,
This post is another example of why I steer my kids and friends away from this hobby. Just seems like more complaining than anything else
Well, I came close to buying a transport because of the posts here. I talked with a guy who has a Jays Audio CD2 a couple days ago. I could get a used one for maybe $1800. Instead I got a Puritan Grounding setup, a couple fuses for my amps and a Furutech Outlet. I think that may lend a larger improvement for less investment.

Here's a good recording (for youtube) of file playback using a UHQCD rip. The streaming version isn't nearly as good. Once again the difference is due to the quality of the digital version you're playing not file vs streaming.

Reactions: wil
On the back of the OCD Mikey YouTubes ?
No. I don't usually watch a lot of online stuff. I meet people in the field. I see a lot of people using Puritan and liking it. I have installed some and people say it helps. I am pretty confident ground boxes work. I don't think you need to spend $15K like Pumacat did on Shunyata equipment. I do believe to do a Puritan setup correctly I will need 2 to 3 of the Routemasters. What I hear is, a ground box is ok. A very small change. Many ground boxes work better. A Routemaster is about $700 and comes with 5 cables. That is far less expensive than other options.

I don't understand why anyone is pretending that it's a controversial take to say that, all things being relatively equal, CD playback is superior to streaming.

It seems as though people take issue with a specific individual(s) or the way something was presented, and then decide to argue.

Reactions: tima
No. I don't usually watch a lot of online stuff. I meet people in the field. I see a lot of people using Puritan and liking it. I have installed some and people say it helps. I am pretty confident ground boxes work. I don't think you need to spend $15K like Pumacat did on Shunyata equipment. I do believe to do a Puritan setup correctly I will need 2 to 3 of the Routemasters. What I hear is, a ground box is ok. A very small change. Many ground boxes work better. A Routemaster is about $700 and comes with 5 cables. That is far less expensive than other options.

Is that the tit or the tat fulfilling the old English saying.

crair_catlockdown_animated.gif
Source: The New Yorker

Last edited:

“Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.”​

? André Gide

Reactions: lordcloud
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing